Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

east road, island key

Options
  • 11-03-2008 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I am looking at buying an apartment on east road, what is the area like? Is it safe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

no it's not safe, when you walk along the road outside you arebound to be mugged and beaten, they hate whimps down there too if you want to tell anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭homer1916

Jay D wrote: »
    no it's not safe, when you walk along the road outside you arebound to be mugged and beaten, they hate whimps down there too if you want to tell anyone.

Sounds like the place is full of knackers like you so

• Registered Users Posts: 30,276 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I don't think East Road is too bad, but as a general rule for the Fairview-Clontarf-East Wall area, don't try taking a shortcut through Fairview Park at night.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Complete drivel. Lived it the area for 12 years, managed to avoid the muggings and beatings. Like all city parks Fairview park is hard to police, lots of exits that can't take vehicles. This attracts morons. I used to take the short cut all the time, never got into trouble, odysey is right though. Best off not going.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Dmaurice

Hi, i bought an apartment with my girlfriend in Island Key and we were worried about the area and I've heard mixed opinions. We are right round the corner from Sheriff St which i hear is bad but like most 'bad' areas usually if you keep yourself to yourself you'll be ok. I'm hoping with all the re-generation in the area (Apartments, Point Village, Spencer Dock, Luas line) etc that the area will be good for investment. I currently rent in Ringsend and i hear that used to be bad - Its now grand, never any issues in last 3 years, and very expensive! Fingers crossed for the north docklands now!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

lightening wrote: »
    Complete drivel. Lived it the area for 12 years, managed to avoid the muggings and beatings. Like all city parks Fairview park is hard to police, lots of exits that can't take vehicles. This attracts morons. I used to take the short cut all the time, never got into trouble, odysey is right though. Best off not going.

Being originally from the North Strand my post was filled with sarcasm ;)
    Like there's crap everywhere, I find the concept of anywhere to be 'safe' a little silly.

my post was filled with sarcasm ;)

Sorry, I just didn't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Residents moving into the new apartments in East Wall have nothing to worry about in regards to crime.

Do avoid Fairview park at night, but thats about it.

Btw, you'll never be consider as being 'from Eastwall' by the old residents. They're a very close knit community down there, I should know. I married an Eastwall girl, lived there for seven year's and was always considered 'a blow in'.

There are some scumbag families in Eastwall, but they're everywhere - only difference is the accent :)

Mairt wrote: »
    Btw, you'll never be consider as being 'from Eastwall' by the old residents.

:D Yeah, lived there for 12 years, although I was welcomed in to the community and got on great there, I was never ever considered an East Waller...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

homer1916 wrote: »
    I am looking at buying an apartment on east road, what is the area like? Is it safe?

Hey mate,

I bought there before Christmas, looking forward to moving in by the end of the summer, I've no idea if they're going to be on target timewise but it doesn't bother me if they're running late!

I'd imagine it's safe enough round there though it is the inner city so there's always going to be areas ignored by Govts in cities such as Dublin. I've been living in Finglas for 3 years and seen absolutely no trouble (though a bottle missed by head by inches coming home from town a few weeks back), generally speaking you don't look for it, you don't get it.

Less than 20 minutes walk to work was the clincher for me!

Are you going to go ahead with the purchase?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jerimiah

Any of you hear about the liffey Island??

Jerimiah wrote: »
    Any of you hear about the liffey Island??

What's that???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jerimiah

What's that???

Its a cluster of 15 and 25 storey buildings being proposed and more than likely built on a site than with be surrounded by a moate type river that will jut out into the liffey by 20 odd metres - check this link for more info

http://www.irish-architecture.com/news/2008/000076.html

its no too far from island key

Anyone know when Island Key will be finished?

we are due to snag next month...although my valuer said no way it will be ready, still a total building site.

Dmaurice wrote: »
    we are due to snag next month...although my valuer said no way it will be ready, still a total building site.

Cheers mate - are they all due to be ready at the same time do you know or will completion dates/snagging dates be staggered?

we are phase 1, the majority of them arent due to be ready until xmas i dont think. Did you buy one in there?

we are phase 1, the majority of them arent due to be ready until xmas i dont think. Did you buy one in there?

I did.

Having difficulty selling my current place though...

we bought in block 6 - due to complete end of october. the other blocks are dec/Jan i think. Did you manage to get them down on the price or did you only recently buy it? we bought 2 years ago off the plans so as you can imagine paid over the odds of what its worth now!

we bought in block 6 - due to complete end of october. the other blocks are dec/Jan i think. Did you manage to get them down on the price or did you only recently buy it? we bought 2 years ago off the plans so as you can imagine paid over the odds of what its worth now!

Bought it a year ago mate.

Have you enquired as to dropping the price at all?

Is your bank still willing to give you the total amount you require? If not you might have a bit of scope there to see will they reduce the price.

• Advertisement

yeah thats exactly what we're trying - we have only been offered a morgage based on a purchase price 20k less than what we agreed 2years ago - if they dont budge we could lose our 20k deposit but fingers crossed they realise that prices have dropped in Ireland!! went to the site a couple of weeks ago - startin to take shape now...there is a big office being built next door too which will be good if we decide to rent it out in the future. :) still, im going to have to walk to a dart evey morning...thinkin connolly will be closest but still a fair distance! cant wait to move in though.

yeah thats exactly what we're trying - we have only been offered a morgage based on a purchase price 20k less than what we agreed 2years ago - if they dont budge we could lose our 20k deposit but fingers crossed they realise that prices have dropped in Ireland!! went to the site a couple of weeks ago - startin to take shape now...there is a big office being built next door too which will be good if we decide to rent it out in the future. :) still, im going to have to walk to a dart evey morning...thinkin connolly will be closest but still a fair distance! cant wait to move in though.

Not a hope in hell will they let you slip through their hands... even if it costs them 20k less. I would tell them that you are already to the pin of your collar and that you can't come up with the rest of the money. They may play a bit of hardball and say "well you did sign a contract so you can't back out" but I would be very surprised if they didn't drop the price at least a bit as you can claim that cos the bank won't give you the full amount that it's completely out of your hands.

You might pm me how you get on!

yes mate - will do. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 fella1977

Hi, I bought an apartment in block 2 that was supposed to be finished in Aug 08 and then it was pushed to Dec 08 which was the last written communication I received. I have spoken to Brian Dwyer and to the contractors and they have both indicated that block 2 should be ready for snagging end of Feb 09. I was at the complex last w/e and I would be very surprised if it will be ready by Feb/Mar because it is still a total building site.

The contract I signed said the apartment was to be finished within 24 months which takes me to May 09. Is anyone else close to or past their contract completion date? Have any of you considered trying to get out of the sale?

Im interested in hearing any of your thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Househunter35

How is East road now.Im thinking of renting there

Advertisement