Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Ninja Scrotum returns with in-car heating problems....

Options
  • 11-03-2008 6:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Longstoryshort, the air isn't being blown over the heater matrix, all I get is cold air from outside. There is no difference between the hot and cold setting.

There is some type of valve that controls air-flow over the matrix that I may need to fix, as it may be stuck.

Is it a tough job to get to this valve? 98 Seat Ibiza....

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Hi,

Longstoryshort, the air isn't being blown over the heater matrix, all I get is cold air from outside. There is no difference between the hot and cold setting.

There is some type of valve that controls air-flow over the matrix that I may need to fix, as it may be stuck.

Is it a tough job to get to this valve? 98 Seat Ibiza....

Thanks

LOL, i've the same problem... still! Never got it fixed so have been freezing my ass off all winter! I'll get around to doing it at my next service which is due. I'd be interested to find out how much this will cost.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Ninja_scrotum

I'd say it'd cost a heap. I think you need to strip the inside bare - steering wheel and all.

But, I only think that's the way it's done. I'm waiting to see if anyone has done a job like this before.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Could be a blockage or a mechanical valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I had the same problem with my Fiesta. I think it was about €50 for a new heater control valve. Was quite easy to change in my car - it's located above the bulkhead under the bonnet - look for two hoses going somewhere in that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I had the same problem with my Fiesta. I think it was about €50 for a new heater control valve. Was quite easy to change in my car - it's located above the bulkhead under the bonnet - look for two hoses going somewhere in that direction.

+1
    Same happened my fiesta,,took about 5 mins for the mechanic to fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭landcruiserfj62

"the air isn't being blown over the heater matrix" how do you know this is the case???!!

it could be a number of things.

If you leave the car stationary for 5-10 minutes, do you get hot air. Then when you drive it, the air gets colder??? If this is the case you could have a thermostat stuck open..

in other cases, heater control cabels could be broken, are they manual or electric swithces?? Do you have a/c, mabey thermistor on matrix is not operating???

Could be valve/tap on internal rad thats broken...

Your heating system could be airlocked due to blown headgasket (or somthing minor)!!!

Did you do a diy coolant change recently or anything lol??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Ninja_scrotum

"the air isn't being blown over the heater matrix" how do you know this is the case???!!

Cos i just do aight?

If you leave the car stationary for 5-10 minutes, do you get hot air.

No

Then when you drive it, the air gets colder???

It's cold no matter what

are they manual or electric swithces?? Do you have a/c

no, no

Your heating system could be airlocked due to blown headgasket

Coolant flow is ok, all pipes as hot as they should be icluding the two going into the heater matrix

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭landcruiserfj62

ok mr "cos i just do" :D
    are they manual or electric switches- "no" ..well which are they???, they have to be one or the other. Has the cable conecting the hot/cold switch to the valve come adrift??

is the fan working?

"Longstoryshort, the air isn't being blown over the heater matrix, all I get is cold air from outside" does your car have a windscreen??? lol j/p :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Coolant flow is ok, all pipes as hot as they should be icluding the two going into the heater matrix

You sure about that? Is the matrix itself actually heating up? When my heater control valve wasn't working the hoses between the valve and matrix still seemed hot but I dunno if it was a small amount of warm coolant getting through or just conduction of heat in the rubber or something - whatever it was there was no heat coming into the cabin at all, and replacing the valve fixed it.

Advertisement