Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anybody else Disappointed with MS Server 2K8 Launch Today..,?

• 11-03-2008 6:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭

So did anybody else head over to the "Microsoft Heroes Launch" ?
    The origination was really bad, all the speaks/shows ran over and you missed ~5min of each which there was only 4 because there was really bad traffic flow for people to move from now section to the other......

What do you think of the MS Heroes Launch in Dublin Today. 22 votes

I liked it.
    0%
    I hated it.
    27%
    mewsoStandard ToasterMcGintyMcGoojahalpin[Deleted User]sandleman1979 6 votes
    Meh.
    22%
    bkfl4pj4ckevilboyseancoldfire1xhomer911 5 votes
    WTF - Only a Head Shot counts when your dealing with ZOMBIES.....
    50%
    B0rGsuttyYakuzaDingatronkaizersozeRon DMCRangeRpwdobMurt_Raekwon 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Yeah it wasn't the best organized event that I've ever been too, it was very crowded and sometimes difficult to see the screens or hear the speaker plus the food and drink was few and far between (I was 10 minutes late and there wasn't alot left).

I have to say though that the biggest let down was the fact that the 'free' Vista Ultimate was actually a trial version (365 days), so I'm sure most people will be pretty pissed at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭ob

Agreed, they neglected to promote the trial aspect of the "free software"!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Raekwon wrote: »
    Yeah it wasn't the best organized event that I've ever been too, it was very crowded and sometimes difficult to see the screens or hear the speaker plus the food and drink was few and far between (I was 10 minutes late and there wasn't alot left).

I have to say though that the biggest let down was the fact that the 'free' Vista Ultimate was actually a trial version (365 days), so I'm sure most people will be pretty pissed at that.

Once again the Vista has no mention of 365 day trial!! Not in my copy in anyway... I have searched high and low but still no sign of anything like that written anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

having no 64bit installer disc for Vista is pretty pathetic in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

The product key order confirmation email has no terms and conditions so may not expire tbh. Usually would say on corner of the desktop whether its an evaluation copy or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Dingatron wrote: »
    The product key order confirmation email has no terms and conditions so may not expire tbh. Usually would say on corner of the desktop whether its an evaluation copy or not?

The slip of paper inside the sleeve, which is an addition to the normal T&Cs says it is though.
    Basically all the software is trial. The event itself was poor enough but that was the real sickner.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

kaizersoze wrote: »
    The slip of paper inside the sleeve, which is an addition to the normal T&Cs says it is though.
    Basically all the software is trial. The event itself was poor enough but that was the real sickner.

When I went to install it the T&C's didn't specify anything about a time limit at all!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Is Visual studio definatly a trial too?

Is Visual studio definatly a trial too?

It seems to be the full version.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

I think from reading the inside of the Windows Vista packaging that the 365 day license is for Windows Live One Care. The Windows Server 2008 disc expressly states it's a 365 day demo. The Windows Vista disc doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

stakey wrote: »
    I think from reading the inside of the Windows Vista packaging that the 365 day license is for Windows Live One Care. The Windows Server 2008 disc expressly states it's a 365 day demo. The Windows Vista disc doesn't.

Nope. The slip of paper inside specifically refers to Vista.
    One Care is only a 90 day trial.

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Once again the Vista has no mention of 365 day trial!! Not in my copy in anyway... I have searched high and low but still no sign of anything like that written anywhere.

Vista is a 365 trial! I'm as pissed off as much as you are but there is nothing we can do about it (apart from buying the €300+ licence next year).

Quick rule of thumb...........always expect a catch when it comes to Mico$oft!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Nope. The slip of paper inside specifically refers to Vista.
    One Care is only a 90 day trial.

Dang! Ah well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Frack, looks like I missed out on the copy of Silverlight...,?!!?
    What is handed out at the Visual Studios area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Raekwon wrote: »
    Vista is a 365 trial! I'm as pissed off as much as you are but there is nothing we can do about it (apart from buying the €300+ licence next year).

Quick rule of thumb...........always expect a catch when it comes to Mico$oft!
    <snip> Just saw the post in the bargin alerts thread. Arse.

In case people forget, there is a working ha>< available for those that know where to look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Installing Server 2008 x64, it's been 15mins and 3 reboots......,
    Didn't they say and the "demo" show everything will be done with ONE reboot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    Frack, looks like I missed out on the copy of Silverlight...,?!!?
    What is handed out at the Visual Studios area?

I think it was only a tutorial dvd on Silverlight?

Isn't Silverlight a free download anyway?

I see that the Australian 'Heroes' launch costs $199 (€119) to attend but it is for a full day and each person gets $2,500 (€1,500) worth of software (including a full version of Server 2008 Enterprise & SQL Server 2008 CTP5 & a trial version of Visual Studio Standard Edition).

I'm still smarting over the Vista trial because everywhere I read I saw that it was the full version (which I assume means no limits). As I said on the other tread, I bought a 500GB hard-drive especially for it :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Meh.

When you opened the Vista packaging, there should have been a white A4 page (like a standard A4 printer page) inside the package, it mentions the time limit of 365 days. Maybe your fell out or did get put in.

BTW I must say that the technology conferences that get put on in the Cineplex are far better. Much more comfortable sitting down watching a presentation, nice pub, you can always buy popcorn, hot dogs, nachos and Ben & Jerrys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I thought calling people heroes if they use MS products was silly and condescending.
    I thought the freebies were nice, though not as nice as they said before the event.
    I really disliked the slab of corporate wenk in with the freebies (book)
    I thought the SQL Server presentation was done well and was very interesting.
    I thought having a Silverlight zone was misleading, when there was not much there and it meant I missed the LINQ stuff.
    I thought the VS presentation was a bit dull, but ok.
    I thought they were trying to make it a bit like a music festival or something to be cool and trendy, with the simultaeneous presentations, the nightclub setting, the absence of seats.
    It was ok. I'm happy to get the free Visual Studio.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

:(

VS wont install on win2k. Bah, would have been useful to have on the work laptop.

bk wrote: »
    When you opened the Vista packaging, there should have been a white A4 page (like a standard A4 printer page) inside the package, it mentions the time limit of 365 days. Maybe your fell out or did get put in.

BTW I must say that the technology conferences that get put on in the Cineplex are far better. Much more comfortable sitting down watching a presentation, nice pub, you can always buy popcorn, hot dogs, nachos and Ben & Jerrys :)

No A4 page in mine, it wasn't there as I only opened it and all that was there was 2 discs.
    I do have the 365 agreement for the other software but no mention of Vista,
    I went through all the T&C's on the Vista Disk and not once does it mention a time limit so could I get away with using it full time considering I didn't not get their 365 days terms and conditions notification??

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Gerb68

Hey Jonny24ie and all who didn't get the 365 day note, On the inside sleeve of the Vista disc is there an eight letter code on a white sticker to be entered on a reg link or a Product key.

8 odd digit pin. I got my code last night and used the key provided to get the Terms and conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Gerb68 wrote: »
    Hey Jonny24ie and all who didn't get the 365 day note, On the inside sleeve of the Vista disc is there an eight letter code on a white sticker to be entered on a reg link or a Product key.

I didn't get the notice for vista and mine has that sticker with the digets in it. Not sure of the number. Might start getting ready for install.

As I said in the other thread, I did not like the re fairing to IT people as heroes. I thought it was very American corporate buzz and just didn't go down well with the Irish train of thought. I was also bored to death with power point crap as well... although it mightn't have been power point so they didn't lie.... pfft is all I can say.

The VM was interesting as I haven't really done anything in it before. So it will be a bit of crack to mess around with it on the Server 2008 freebe for the next while.

Subject: RE: Vista + Sp1
    Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 15:01:31 -0700
    To: jonny24ie

Hello Jonathon,

Thank you for contacting us. This software does not have an expiration date. Please refer to your license agreement for details.

Regards,

Stephanie
    Windows Vista SP1 Registration Administrator

Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2008 1:34 PM
    To: Windows Vista SP1 Registration Customer Care
    Subject: Vista + Sp1

Hi,

I was at the microsoft product launch today and received a copy of Windows Vista Ultimate + Sp1, I am wondering is this an evaluation version or is it a full version?

Thanking you,
    Jonathan

Lads its a full working non-evaluation version. This is the reply I got!!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Gerb68

I installed Vista SP1 from the disc last night and with the key I recieved and It activates as normal. It seems odd to me that there is no mention in Computer/Properties of how limited its activated for or no watermark even on the desktop display. Its only on this note and an email I received when I asked about it:
    Thank you for contacting us. The software is licensed for use for 365 days following first use. To continue use after the expiration date, please purchase a copy of Windows Vista Ultimate. Your license agreement, including the printed supplement, has more details.

Regards,

Stephanie

Windows Vista SP1 Registration Administrator

I specifically asked about Vista Ultimate SP1 only, just to be sure.
    Odd do.

Lots of conflicting stories here about the Vista Ultimate promotional disc and that Stephanie from Mico$oft isn't exactly making things any clearer. She said to somebody that the software has no expiration date then tells somebody else that it is only for 365 days. What is the real answer??? :confused:

I hated it.
    was what i expected it to be like. happy with the free stuff though:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I hated it.
    The Sql stuff was interesting but too quick to follow and see. The linq stuff was very impressive. Glad to get VS 2008 but this Ultimate business is crap. Missed the "what new in vs 2008" but I would probably have just moaned at them for their horrendous ajax implementation.

Advertisement