Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piracy on Campus

Options
  • 11-03-2008 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hi,

My girlfriend is writing a piece on piracy for her college magazine and asked me if I would put up a quick survey for her on boards.

If you could answer the following truthfully:

1. Do you download music/films illegally on campus?
    2. What is the college policy on illegal downloads?
    3. Do you know of anyone that has been caught downloading music/films on campus. If so, how were they punished?
    4. What are your reasons for downloading music/films?

Thanks.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

We have seen a few times that the college administration have come on to this site on a few occasions to use information against users. Therefore I would not imagine that all responses are representative.

Also a lot of software tools commonly used for copyright infringement use protocols that are blocked at UCD's gateway.

You might be better off asking about attitudes towards copyright or similar, since the college cannot punish people for merely disliking record companies or their shills such as IRMA and it may be a better platform for debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

KJF wrote: »
    1. Do you download music/films illegally on campus?no
    2. What is the college policy on illegal downloads?don't do it
    3. Do you know of anyone that has been caught downloading music/films on campus. If so, how were they punished? no
    4. What are your reasons for downloading music/films?is everyone not going to answer 'to watch/luisten to them respectively'?
    your average person isn't going to know how to download illegal things on the campus network, and anyone who does know how, isn't going to say they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Leonid

Aarrrrrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

il be the first to admit that I regularly download music,movies,games,tv shows and anything else that you can think of from campus.My reason is that I would rather get them for free than buy them

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

Leonid wrote: »
    Aarrrrrrr

<3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

yarrr
    Aarrrrrrr

damn it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

I've seen loads of people downloading movies/tvshows stage6( :( ) on laptops but thats about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

1. Do you download music/films illegally on campus? No

2. What is the college policy on illegal downloads? "Boo to things that might get us in trouble/make us look bad"

3. Do you know of anyone that has been caught downloading music/films on campus. If so, how were they punished? no

4. What are your reasons for downloading music/films? While admitting no wrongdoing on my part, were I to download music/film my reasoning would probably go along the lines of -I love music and can't afford to pay for all the stuff I want/I lot of the stuff I listen to isn't available in shops and I hate DRM/ Damned if I'm going to pay for an album that I've read about but not heard and just want to check out/Damned if I'm going to wait for Irish and British channels to start showing shows that are almost over in the US when I can nab them on torrents (this one would be entirely guilt free since I'd probably watch the re-runs once they hit my telly box)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

For my part ditto the responses from pretty*monster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

No

Brady says No

3. Do you know of anyone that has been caught downloading music/films on campus. If so, how were they punished? No

I buy off iTunes because it's handier and usually cheaper than buying CDs. I have little problem with DRM because I own an iPod and most music is available on iTunes. I watch very little TV and film so their complete lack of legal online availability in this country doesn't bother me. I believe that if you can't afford something, you do without, simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Leonid wrote: »
    Aarrrrrrr

I came to post that.

Kudos good sir, kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Breezer wrote: »
    I buy off iTunes because it's handier and usually cheaper than buying CDs. I have little problem with DRM because I own an iPod and most music is available on iTunes.

I love iTunes but it pisses me off no end that once my (second) ipod goes kaput I'll have to buy another ipod and won't be able to shop around for better hard ware if I want to still be able to listen to the tracks I've bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭dhaddock

nope. i heard BT is blocked, plus the network is slow enough as it is!!!

eh.. dont download please :p

3. Do you know of anyone that has been caught downloading music/films on campus. If so, how were they punished?
    no/no

mainly because i can. you get albums & movies before they are out and tv shows minutes after they have aired in the US if you know what your doing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I love iTunes but it pisses me off no end that once my (second) ipod goes kaput I'll have to buy another ipod and won't be able to shop around for better hard ware if I want to still be able to listen to the tracks I've bought.
    I've had a look round and I can't see myself buying anything other than another iPod for next while (no problems with my current one in a year and a half, fingers crossed). When you also own a Mac it's the most logical choice. I do see where you're coming from though, and I wouldn't be fighting to keep DRM or anything, it just doesn't bother me much personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 RIP-sanity

Computer says no.

Advertisement