Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pets and Accommodation

Options
  • 11-03-2008 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

How strict is the no-pets rule in on campus accomm. at UCD?

I have a tortoise that I'd like to bring with me next Sept., he doesn't take up much room and he's quite clean. I mean, I can see why cats and dogs and snakes and monkeys arn't allowed but let's face it, a tortoise isn't a whole lot different to a rock :rolleyes:

Anyway thanks in advance ;)

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Wait till the evil RA's eat him for breakfast. Honestly I couldn't see a problem with him, but UCD has become so anal about things in general I wouldn't chance it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 boardian

dont move it in the first day.. it would be too obvious, just wait til a week or two into term and it should be grand! i mean i live on campus and never had a room inspection or anything like that - for all they know i could have a parrot..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I wouldn't advise it. Having lived in Res I know that the funniest things will get picked up. Plus, if any of your housemates are petty and you don't get on, you could invite a whole world of trouble you don't need on yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I admit I don't know much about tortoises but keeping them in an apartment doesn't strike me as being the kindest thing to do - don't they normally wander round gardens as pets? And letting him out at the mercy of the UCD Res population wouldn't be advised either! Tbh I'd leave him at home, it's just inviting trouble either way. You're more than likely only going to be on campus for a year, after that you'll have to find your own place, and you can bring him then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I thought tortoises were kept in cages/boxes like with lizards, etc :confused:

If ye leave him to wander around in the garden he could escape!... eventually

You walk outside and see him half way up the wall :D

• Advertisement

DaveMcG wrote: »
    I thought tortoises were kept in cages/boxes like with lizards, etc :confused:

If ye leave him to wander around in the garden he could escape!... eventually

You walk outside and see him half way up the wall :D
    I've definitely heard of them being kept outside, maybe it depends on the breed or something :confused: Definitely keep those alien wall-climbing tortoises with the suckers on their feet inside though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 odhran666

Tortoises are cold-blooded, they can only be kept outside when the weather is very warm, which isn't very often here.

Also, totoises use very little energy, they don't tend to run around or even explore that much so keeping them in a terrarium suits them fine. Last Summer I left mine outside for a little while and the first thing he did was find a large tuft of grass, hide in it, and then fall asleep.

Thanks for the replies :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I want a tortoise........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

I'm in the agricultural college in Warrenstown, Co. Meath but this is an issue which is very close to my heart. When I moved here I brought a little ferret with me from my home in Kerry. Her name is Squeak and I keep her in a souterrain adjacent to the Hill of Tara. I am quite happy for her to stay there for the time being but college authorities are suggesting I remove her for her own safety.

OK all joking aside, has anyone else noticed how all the ****heads from Goatstown walk their dogs around campus and don't pick up the ****? That's exactly the reason animals are banned around campus and if the college sees fit to keep students from keeping animals then why are locals not made aware of the rules? Or are they aware of the loophole and taking advantage of it?

Also OP, you may be interested to learn that I killed 2 tortoises last summer road tripping across Oklahoma. They make a cool cracking sound beneath 4 tonnes of Detroit engineering. If I see any tortoises around UCD I'll be compelled to hear that sound again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

DaveMcG wrote: »
    I want a tortoise........

Yeah, me too.

What do they eat? Humans?

• Advertisement

upmeath wrote: »
    OK all joking aside, has anyone else noticed how all the ****heads from Goatstown walk their dogs around campus and don't pick up the ****? That's exactly the reason animals are banned around campus and if the college sees fit to keep students from keeping animals then why are locals not made aware of the rules? Or are they aware of the loophole and taking advantage of it?
    How exactly do you know they're from Goatstown, do you follow them home? :confused: People do this everywhere, it's very difficult to police. I agree it's disgusting though. I don't like picking up my dogs' crap any more than the rest of us do but I do it. Having said that, UCD is kept very clean overall, and I don't think I've once stepped in dog crap there.
    Also OP, you may be interested to learn that I killed 2 tortoises last summer road tripping across Oklahoma. They make a cool cracking sound beneath 4 tonnes of Detroit engineering. If I see any tortoises around UCD I'll be compelled to hear that sound again
    I hope that's another one of your jokes... Anyway, the only thing that heavy in UCD is the Hugh Brady machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 musicnotes

Aw tortoises are so cute !! I'm in a similar boat to you OP,I live in UCD but I plan on getting a little dog ie chihuahua during the summer , the only thing holding me back is finding accommodation :( I dont see why a tortoise would cause any problems, as you've already mentioned tortoises arent like dogs or cats etc..having lived here for almost a year I find that UCD is very 'picky' about their accommodation which sucks but maybe you could find a way around it i guess you could ring the accommodation office and ask them if you would be allowed ? :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

This thread is 3 years old, so I feel this is appropriate.

A guy is sitting at home when he hears a knock at the door. He opens the door and sees a turtle on the porch. He picks up the turtle and throws it as far as he can. Three years later, there’s a knock on the door. He opens it and sees the same turtle. The turtle says "What the hell was that all about?"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement