Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Piracy Survey

Options
  • 11-03-2008 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hi,

My girlfriend is writing a piece on piracy for her college magazine and asked me if I would put up a quick survey for her on boards.

If you could answer the following truthfully:

Do you illegally download?
    Why do you illegally download?
    How much would you illegally download in a month?
    Do you have any moral qualms in illegally downloading?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Wow, well people are just rushing in to confess here....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

No
    No
    Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr.Slurm

No
    Hmmm
    0kb
    No, I don't care either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

SumGuy wrote: »

LOL.
    Can't see people here lining up to honestly answer that survey tbh.
    Could be wrong though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Yes, from time to time.
    To hear music I would never buy.
    One track this month.
    Only in regard to performance royalties.

My take on it is that the Copyright Law has become outdated. I feel it should be up to the publisher/copyright owner to actually decide whether downloading specific content is illegal or not.

Record companies are still worried about selling product, if I buy a CD stick it on my home computer and then on my computer in work and then an Ipod, there's three copies of it already. The actual physical copy I bought sits in my CD rack not being played at all btw. The notion of mechanical copyright becomes nonsense.

If (and I believe it will happen) people subscribed say the price of a CD or two each month to a provider they could then download what ever content the wanted, royalties would be tracked and paid to the artist in the same way as any broadcast music such as radio, TV, shops, live etc.

If these guys were allowed, you'd end up being fined for lending someone a book for god's sake.

As for single sales? this is the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Gerry Ryan discussed this yesterday morning, check the 2fm site and get the podcast, it should provide a lot of information for the research.

Cheerio
    Howard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

No
    n/a
    n/a
    n/a

Advertisement