Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Savings account question

Options
  • 11-03-2008 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Bit of a random question but just remembered today that I should have €4,000 in a savings account that I had forgotten all about. I started it about 12/13 years ago I think, it takes €30 out of a current account every month. Anyway I don’t know the account number or anything or haven’t had any updates recently on it so was just wondering if it’s possible to get information on it and more importantly transfer it back in to my current account without knowing the account details? Or are banks more picky about things like that? I know ask at a bank but not able to at the moment with work, if anyone knows if it’s possible to get it put back in to my current account. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I suspect that your account may have gone dormant. Have you moved address in the past 13 years? That's probably why you haven't been receiving statements.

Here is what I would suggest you do. Go to your bank with your ID and any statement you can find. If you can't find it not to worry, they maybe able to find the mandate form you opened the account with. Bring proof of address as well. You may need to fill up a form to claim the money back (although it's your money). Unfortunately, if an account hasn't been used for 3 years, it goes dormant. After 15 years of dormancy, the money goes to the NTMA (http://www.ntma.ie/) and it can become harder to claim back. So get into your bank asap and get it sorted.

EDIT: Actually ask the bank to look up the standing order. You should get the account number from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

Thanks stepbar. Stupid me forgetting I had that amount of money, believe me it's needed! I don't think it would be classified as dormant if the €30 is still being withdrawn every month from my current account?
    Thanks for your help, appreciate it.

Advertisement