Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School place

Options
  • 11-03-2008 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭

Just enquiring to parents who applied for second level school place for their child.

Did you have to pay to apply for the place?

Its just that we did and our son was refused a place as the school is over subscribed. It is our local school but he has no previous brothers/cousins etc at the school so was not at the top of the criteria list, he attends a local primary school but he didnt get a place.

I am wondering how many other parents have paid to apply for a second level school place, is this a common practice or unusual?

Should I have received a refund when he was refused a place or is it normal for the school to keep the fee regardless.

I haven't enquired with the school as I don't know if this is common practice elsewhere, if it is I'll leave well enough alone but if not i will go back and ask

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Obelisk29

We had to pay a few, unfortunately, non-refundable administration fees / deposits when applying for second level for our daughter.

It's going back a couple of years (she's now in first year) but it was generally around €100 a pop. IIRC, some credit it against first year fees / "voluntary" subscriptions.

Hope this helps,

o29

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭Brian017

I know some schools that refund the fee if a place isn't offered.

Advertisement