Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child care etc costs query

Options
  • 11-03-2008 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

My wife and I are discussing having a baby. The thought that does hit us, and most probably everyone else in the same boat is how much does this bundle of joy cost?

Ok im taking the fun outa all of this but still, it has to be counted.

Stay at home - lose a wage
    5 days in a creche - earn a wage but at what cost? both financial and well... "not being there"

We are in the northwest so we might suffer the pinch in the pocket less than couples on the east coast, but salaries are also that much lower as well.

Can anyone please give us some indication as to what to expect???

Thanks!:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I'm an hour outside Dublin, so I'm not sure how our creche costs compare to the northwest. My 15-month-old daughter's creche charges the following
    e40 per day, or e160 for a full week.
    It's fine when you have one child, but you might feel the pinch when you've got 2 children in a creche.
    When they start school, the cost of afterschool is e6 per hour so childcare costs are reduced (which is why we should appreciate our teachers more as the care and stimulation they're providing is free!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

I'm a childminder in the North West and the going rate here is €25-€30 a day. Ask your local Childcare Committee, they are usually very helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

I would say one thing-if your wife has any kind of a decent job then try for job sharing/part time or a career break. I made the mistake of giving up a bank job after my second child was born and when I did want to go back to the workforce I was back at the bottom again. I now work part time as only one child needs childcare and in September she will be in school! After years of working for the childminder I will now be able to call my salary my own! Minor prob is that eldest is starting college so that will cost! Never ends when you are a parent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Annatar

:eek:

Thank you all for getting back to me.

i knew it was expensive but didnt figure it was quite that bad. I was asking a work colleague here, said child minder in the range of 90 - 150 a week.

Child benefit is...erm...€166 amonth with another €1100 a year for childminding, say roughly 260 a month. Lets be generous (to ourselves) €450 a month for child care.... so thats 190 to come up with.
    Not undoable... i spose

AARGGHHHH!!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Annatar

Lizzykins wrote: »
    I would say one thing-if your wife has any kind of a decent job then try for job sharing/part time or a career break. I made the mistake of giving up a bank job after my second child was born and when I did want to go back to the workforce I was back at the bottom again. I now work part time as only one child needs childcare and in September she will be in school! After years of working for the childminder I will now be able to call my salary my own! Minor prob is that eldest is starting college so that will cost! Never ends when you are a parent!

Thanks for the advise. Will pass it on to the missus.

My plan is to brainwash them so in future... when they are all doctor and architects etc at least 20% of all their wages come back to us!

Groovy plan eh!
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

I think you're under estimating the price here.

My sons creche was 1150 a month - full time..childminder came in at about 10 an hour..I did find one at about 6 an hour but they vary..so times that by how many hours per day..

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

creches in my area,south dublin cost roughly 1,100 euro.i want to go to work cuz i figure it would be good for my son to be mixin with other kids in a creche rather than bein around adults all the time but on the other hand i dont want to leave him:rolleyes:
    i would literally be workin all week to pay for his childcare with a little left over but a very limited time with my son,its kind of a no win situation

Advertisement