Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mancini to step down following tonights defeat!

• 12-03-2008 12:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_3285744,00.html

Internazionale coach Roberto Mancini has announced he will leave the club at the end of the season.

Mancini made his plans public on Tuesday evening after watching his team crash out of the Champions League at the hands of Liverpool.

Fernando Torres' goal saw the Serie A leaders go down 1-0 to Rafael Benitez's team at the San Siro to seal a 3-0 aggregate defeat.

The 43-year-old, who joined Inter in 2004 and led the club to back-to-back Serie A titles in 2006 and 2007, announced his news at the post-match press conference before a question had been asked.

"The next two and a half months will be my last as the coach of the squad," he said.

"I have already told the players and it is only natural now to announce it to everybody. It's a decision that I had already made and it is not due to tonight's defeat."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

not due to tonights defeat my ass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Trilla wrote: »
    not due to tonights defeat my ass

If it wasnt due to tonights defeat why did he announce it in the dressing room DIRECTLY after the game ? Seems ridiculous to me. As if thats what his players needed to hear after being knocked out of the Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

There's more than 1 Kevin Keegan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Mancini to Newcastle..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Surely Mourhino will be bookies favourite to take over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Surely Mourhino will be bookies favourite to take over.

Good shout, they seem more loyal to their managers than the Spanish clubs aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Unearthly wrote: »
    Good shout, they seem more loyal to their managers than the Spanish clubs aswell

True, but contrary to speculation I believe Real will hold on to Schuster as they've been playing some great football this season, and should coast to the title. Barca will be looking for a manager probably, but there seems to be too much baggage between Mourhino and Barca. Its a club run by the people and the people hate him.

However AC may be able to attract him as they are a club in flux at the moment (but still with a core group of great players) and would present a challenge to restore them to the Italy's no.1 team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

he had that look about him didn't he? he got it wrong tactically, no point playing narrow against a team like Liverpool. don't know what Paddy was doing on the field either, he's far too slow now to play against an English side with as much energy as Liverpool. he's not the best manager really, seemed out of ideas when before the match began.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think the reason he annoucned it was cause theres no point in not doing it. If you say it, the players might lose motivation. They have easily won the league, and the CL was the only thing he needs motivation for, and they are out, so alas. Still, a very successful manager at the age of 43 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

The league is far from over, and Inter fans are not that confident at all of holding onto their lead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If anyone can bottle a league, Inter can. Mancini's record will look good for his short stint at the club until you squint and see the asterisks beside his two league wins, effectively by default. Not his fault of course, but after such a long wait for a title, it must have been an anti-climax to pick up two scudetti off the back of a lorry. He should really have stuck about to see could he squeeze a CL title out of Inter or win a more competitive league against rejuvenated Milan/Juventus sides, as the opposition have been rancid for a few years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

The league is over. Juve, Fiorentina and Milan will all focus on the Champions League qualification and Roma will probabaly try to focus on the Champions League now. They bottled there chance when they drew.

In fairness to Roberto he did win Inter their first proper league in about 25 years but he was just so unlucky that Milan winning the CL made it worthless. i was working there that summer and I felt so sorry for the Inter fans. Hvaing said that, it is my least favourite club so not too sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Tusky wrote: »
    If it wasnt due to tonights defeat why did he announce it in the dressing room DIRECTLY after the game ? Seems ridiculous to me. As if thats what his players needed to hear after being knocked out of the Champions League.

Did he announce it to his players in the dressing room after the game?

The article says he made it public after the game and mentioned he had already let the players know, but doesn't say when he let them know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Never really rated him whatsoever, i like Inter, in fact i like both Inter and Milan, Milan being closer to me from when i used to watch the Serie A on Channel 4 but i have a soft spot for both, Mourinho is a definate possibilty there as he would be given the full backing of the board i feel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Nunu wrote: »
    Did he announce it to his players in the dressing room after the game?

The article says he made it public after the game and mentioned he had already let the players know, but doesn't say when he let them know?

He didnt say a word about it to the players actually they dont seem to beleive he will quit just lost the ruin of himself or something.
    Morratti due to comment tis evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Tusky wrote: »
    ... watching his team crash out of the Champions League at the hands of Liverpool.

Fernando Torres' goal saw the Serie A leaders go down 1-0 to Rafael Benitez's team at the San Siro to seal a 3-0 aggregate defeat.

The language in that piece would have you think it was a great game!

Fcuk, even Torres was pretty meh last night bar the goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

PHB wrote: »
    I think the reason he annoucned it was cause theres no point in not doing it. If you say it, the players might lose motivation. They have easily won the league, and the CL was the only thing he needs motivation for, and they are out, so alas. Still, a very successful manager at the age of 43 though.

One Coppa Italia, to be fair. Everything else was with the help of penalised opposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

For the last weeks the talk in Italy has been Lippi to Milan, Mourinho to Inter. In fact, Jose was offered the job two years ago and again mooted even at the end of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

It seems like hes staying now. If I was Moratti I'd tell him to get lost, There are better managers out there who would happily take the job. I've personaly never liked him and think hes tacticaly inept anyway but Moratti seems to like him, supprising considering how easily he has sacked managers in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

nipplenuts wrote: »
    One Coppa Italia, to be fair. Everything else was with the help of penalised opposition.

Actually he has won 2 Coppa Italia with Inter(05 and 06) and last years Scudetto was won on the pitch. Its not his fault Juve got relegated and Milan docked points, Milan would have still finished behind Inter if they hadn't been docked the points. Yes it was an easy scudetto last year but you can only beat what is put in front of you. He has also won the Coppa with Fiorentina(01) and Lazio(04) as well as 2 Supercoppa(05 and 06) so I think its a bit unfair to say all he has won is one Coppa.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Well, he's reversed his decision now for some reason... not sure how much confidence that'll inspire in his team.

Advertisement