Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a CPU Cooler

Options
  • 12-03-2008 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

Many thansks for recent help on build....

I dont think I have a problem with temperature as it idles at 35o and with Crysis on full swing on highest settings it reaches about 55o at maximum...

Still want to replace factory cooler with somethign better....

any recommendations for something reeasonably quiet and easy to fit..

system is as follows

intel quad core6600 boxed
    nividia 8800gts
    4gb corsair ram 2 x 2Gb

any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭ricka05

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

The 35-55'c your getting is very good with the stock cooler, you'll have no problem running a better cooler with the fan on low rpm. The chip can goto 80'c.

BTW, what are you using for measuring temps, every application will give you a different reading, some from a sensor on the motherboard. Core temp or everest will read from a sensor on the chip itself tho

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

personally I would steer clear of the Ultra 120, its very much hit or miss.

The first 2 coolers listed are quite big and not exactly falling into the category of easy fit. Make sure you have adequate case clearance.

I would go with the Arctic Freezer Pro. All the lads on OCUK rave about it for the price/performance.

Unless you plan on overclocking or are bothered by the noise, your stock cooler is chugging along quite well.

Tuniq tower requires you to remove the mobo to fit it, not sure bout other 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭x keo21

I personally would only go for another cooler if I intended to overclock the cpu (saves some money). But still I suppose in the grand scheme of things its better to have a good quality cooler.

also remember to apply thermal paste to the cpu and heatsink, 'Arctic silver 5' is considered the best by most people.
    Good Luck with whatever you purchase,
    btw iv ordered the Thermal Right ultra 120, that one was recommended to me,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Here's a link to the 'comparison' page of one of the most recent cooler reviews on frostytech. [Link]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

yeah was hoping to overclock down the road at sometime....

I am using core temp to measure cores...

I think whats helping is the case has a massive fan in the side and front fan.. http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/aerocoolee3/

I'll have a look at these thanks... I have loads of room...

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Arctic Freezer 7 Pro if you're on a low budget

Scythe Ninja / Infinity / Mugen for a medium budget

and if you have lots of money and you really want to oc that quad get a Swiftech H20 120 Compact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I have an asus silent knight which I think is great, very good cooling and it looks great I'd highly recommend, it's very quiet too if thats important to you http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=343076

I was in peats today and the "guy" recommended a zalman CNPS9500 AT for my quad core...

So i parted wit the 50 quid and i have it oped up here now but i see in the instruction that it is only listed for the core duo and not he quad core...

will it do the job or do i need to return it?

thanks

• Advertisement

FFS, you go to the trouble of starting a thread asking for advise on a good cooler, then you don't heed the advise and buy somemthing else. You've just wasted our time.

Zalman is a good quiet cooler, not a great one tho, would not be much better than the stock one you removed except that its quieter. Waste of 50e IMO.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

You just got salesman owned

I'm a stupid consumer sheep :rolleyes: I phoned to see if they had the artic freezer 7 pro in stock and they said they had and when i got in they didn't.... surprise surprise.... and of course fell for the "we dont have that but we do have THIS which is a billion times better" line...

I'll put it back in the box and back to original plan of Mugen from Komplett

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

dude get the silent knight it's way cool and it looks awesome http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=343076

MooseJam wrote: »
    dude get the silent knight it's way cool and it looks awesome http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=343076

yeah I was look a that one alright...... damn choices choices!! looks wont sway me due to my closed case but still nice to open the box to something cool ;)

Ok guys got this one and installed it with good success I believe... http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=343076

here are the results... they seem significant? I've posted dle figure and ones with crysis in full swing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

Looks lovely :)
    Just curious was it the noise or what that you wanted another cooler?

Looks lovely :)
    Just curious was it the noise or what that you wanted another cooler?

not really the noise although this is whisper quiet by comparison... I plan to overclock at some stage and want to make sure I have the goods to handle it....

well satisfied....

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

Very good cooling results!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    BTW, what are you using for measuring temps, every application will give you a different reading, some from a sensor on the motherboard. Core temp or everest will read from a sensor on the chip itself tho
    SpeedFan can read from the core sensors too (support was added a while back). I get the same temps in that for Core 1 compared to in CoreTemp, but Core 0 is a few degrees higher in CoreTemp - maybe one of the programs is compensating for some reason?

• Advertisement

I hear oil cooling is the latest craze

SpeedFan can read from the core sensors too (support was added a while back). I get the same temps in that for Core 1 compared to in CoreTemp, but Core 0 is a few degrees higher in CoreTemp - maybe one of the programs is compensating for some reason?

There are variations in all applications, same with Everest. Some 8400's had what some peeps thought was a faulty sensor. Thats why some on XS forums are now using Real Temp.

Advertisement