Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom/Netopia/Xbox live problems

• 12-03-2008 12:48am

Hi guys, i need help setting up xbox live via the netopia router. The onyl way so far i managed to get xbox live to work correctly is by setting the firewall to low setting, and to be honest i don't wan't to leave it at low. Medium would be perfect. Port forwarding doesn't seem to make a difference. Is anyone else having the same problem as me??
    Help Appreciated. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Anytime I've set up port forwarding on a Netopia box (even for torrents), the only way I could get it to work was setting the firewall to low.

I don't think it'll work any other way but I didn't spend much time trying tbh.

• kaizersoze wrote: »
    Anytime I've set up port forwarding on a Netopia box (even for torrents), the only way I could get it to work was setting the firewall to low.

I don't think it'll work any other way but I didn't spend much time trying tbh.
    Ok thanks man, but the thing that worries me is i only am using zonealarm free on my pc, how safe am i with it left on low? There must be some way to work around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

http://www.celticsnipers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=269

A friend of mine did that guide up. You do need your router firewall at low for Xbox Live to work fully.

• Kenny 5 wrote: »
    http://www.celticsnipers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=269

A friend of mine did that guide up. You do need your router firewall at low for Xbox Live to work fully.
    No thats not the problem, it works when its set on low, thats what his guide says. I want to be able to set my firewall to medium. Thanks anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭superweld

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    No thats not the problem, it works when its set on low, thats what his guide says. I want to be able to set my firewall to medium. Thanks anyway.

i think most people would have it set to low. if you have windows firewall on too you should be ok. you can always get a free 3rd party firewall like comodo if you want to feel more secure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

I always leave mine on low and only have a windows firewall. Its been about a year now and i havnt had any problems (that i know off).
    The fact is, you will have to set it to low. If you dont, you wont be able to play xbox live, download torrents and loads more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

The netopia modem needs you th make "pinholes" otherwise known as port forwarding (its underadvanced a bit tricky to find) make sure the needed ports for Xbox live are open. Id guess thats the problem you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

You should be able to leave the firewall setting on medium and open the necessary ports, what most people don't know is that Xbox Live uses UDP ports as well as TCP ports so you have to open both...not just TCP...

The following ports need to be made available.

UDP 88
    UDP 3074
    TCP 3074

Once you open them you can actually put the firewall setting to HIGH if you like, but just make sure you open all the other ports you need like skype, Msn, POP, SMTP, etc etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭-annex-

There seem to be a lot of mixed views here. However the fact is that port forwarding or uPnP will NOT work unless the firewall is set to low. This shouldn't be considered a security risk however; even on low it will act very effectively. Since you're also using Zonealarm as a software firewall, you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Sorry but you do need it set to low so that you can have an open NAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

Feelgood wrote: »
    You should be able to leave the firewall setting on medium and open the necessary ports, what most people don't know is that Xbox Live uses UDP ports as well as TCP ports so you have to open both...not just TCP...

UDP 88
    UDP 3074
    TCP 3074

Once you open them you can actually put the firewall setting to HIGH if you like, but just make sure you open all the other ports you need like skype, Msn, POP, SMTP, etc etc...

I dont think you have to open all those ports manualy. When you go into your NAT settings on the netopia router there should be an option for 'xbox live games'. Click that, click enable then secect your xbox from the list abd click enable.

• mgsrocks wrote: »
    I dont think you have to open all those ports manualy. When you go into your NAT settings on the netopia router there should be an option for 'xbox live games'. Click that, click enable then secect your xbox from the list abd click enable.

Thanks but i have also tried that and its still the same, opening all the ports makes no difference realy. Anyway im just going to leave it on low cosidering most people here thinks its ok to do so (I HOPE!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭itchyblood

Hey all. Having some troubles with my Xbox Live. It was working a few days ago but this morning it just isn't. It has to be a problem with DNS settings or the IP address, Subnet Mask and Gateway. I don't think its the PPPoE settings. I have those set as eircom and broadband1 after trawling the internet for help. That had it working after the first time it broke, but now its down again. Could it be to do with the recent problems Eircom are having? I'm using a Netopia box as well.

Anyone lend some advice? How do I know I have the right IP address for the Xbox and that the address is not being used already by something else on our network?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Feelgood wrote: »

UDP 88
    UDP 3074
    TCP 3074

No you can't. Was in a house with eircom and have gotten Xbox Live working on every connection no problems and its as simple as you have to set the firewall to low.

Port forwarding settings don't work when its set to medium even though it lets you set them. It is a pain in the arse.

Yea a guy on the phone said I need to open six ports. I tried opening them in the netopia settings page but I couldnt get them open at the same time. I don't know, I'm just not that handy with it.

I have the firewall on Low and Xbox Live works fine, but I'd rather not leave it on Low. My brother said it should be fine on low but is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭itsgrand

hey,im having some problems connecting to xbox live with the netopia..everything else is working except the connecting to xbox live,it keeps sayin failed...

can anybody give me the netopia number in which i can contact them to open the ports the xbox live customer support people gave me?

and also can you tell me how to access my firewall settings so i change them to low,thanks!

itsgrand wrote: »
    hey,im having some problems connecting to xbox live with the netopia..everything else is working except the connecting to xbox live,it keeps sayin failed...

can anybody give me the netopia number in which i can contact them to open the ports the xbox live customer support people gave me?

and also can you tell me how to access my firewall settings so i change them to low,thanks!

I had this problem. I set my Firewall to low and everything works fine.
    I don't know if it's the same for everyone, as I'm clueless with wireless networking, but to go to mine, I type in 192.168.1.254 into Firefox or IE and it brings me to my Netopia settings page.

Advertisement