Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the flags in donegal town

• 12-03-2008 1:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

just a wondering, was in donegal town at the weekend, noticed a few flags around the diamond, the welsh, irish and scotish, but one there i did not regonise, was a blue and white horozontal strips, with either blue stars or swords in one of the corners (i think),

any one know what this flag is and the significance of them all, thought it was something to do with the six nations this i seen that one

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

It's finally happened. Donegal has become an independent state(let) with Pat the Cope as President, James McDaid as Minister for Transport and Bernard McHugh as Minister for Foreign Affairs. September 20th will be a public holiday in honour of Donegal's All Ireland win in 1992 and the northern bank of the River Drowes will be fortified. Sam Spudz is declared the national staple diet.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

irish-stew wrote: »
    just a wondering, was in donegal town at the weekend, noticed a few flags around the diamond, the welsh, irish and scotish, but one there i did not regonise, was a blue and white horozontal strips, with either blue stars or swords in one of the corners (i think),

any one know what this flag is and the significance of them all, thought it was something to do with the six nations this i seen that one
    Would it be the flag of Brittany? Although that is black & white.
    180px-Flag_of_Brittany.svg.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

smashey wrote: »
    Would it be the flag of Brittany? Although that is black & white.
    180px-Flag_of_Brittany.svg.png

it could have been actully, it was dark, stormy, i was in a hurry, thats something to do with the town twin isn't it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

celtic music festival apparently although very lightly promoted seems to sneaking under the radar
    37th International Pan Celtic Festival
    http://www.panceltic.ie/pages/programme.html

The Pan Celtic Festival aims to instill, strengthen and exchange our Celtic cultures and traditions in music, song, dance, sports etc. in our own languages from Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Brittany and Isle of Man.
    Tuesday 25/03/2008: Official Opening and presentation from each of the Celtic Nations.
    Wednesday 26/03/2008: Groups from each of the Celtic Nations will perform on the street at intervals during the day. Traditional Singing Competition featuring award winning traditional artists taking place in Central Hotel. Thursday 27/03/2008: Groups from each of the Celtic Nations will perform on the streets at intervals during the day. Pan Celtic International Song Contest, featuring Celtic Rock, Traditional and Pop music takes place in the Abbey Hotel.
    Friday 28/03/2008: Street Performances; Pan Celtic Golf Competition at Murvagh; Colourful Town Parade by Pan Celtic Nations; Choral Concert in St Patrick's Church.
    Saturday 29/03/2008: Pan Celtic Camogie Blitz at various pitches; International Harp Competitions at Church of Ireland Hall; Piping Competition at Abbey Hotel; Choral Competition (Senior and Junior) at St Patrick's Church; Inter-Celtic Dancing Competitions at Abbey Hotel; Inter Celtic Fiddle Competition at Church of Ireland Hall;
    Sunday 30/03/2008 Celtic Mass at St Patrick's Church; Camogie Finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Not too sure about the twinning but the Breton flag always gets flown as they are Celts as well as us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

The Isle of Man are celts too! But their flag doesn't have any horizontal stripes on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

black flag with white cross is the cornish flag of st piran
    http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/982/50398126.JPG
    isle of man flag (red with 3 legs)
    just drove through yesterday and it reminded me

Advertisement