Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A4 Audi VRT

Options
  • 12-03-2008 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

hi
    my mother is selling her 06 audi a4 1.6 for €28,000 was thinking of buyin it but not to sure would i be better going for new car or wait till july and buy then with the VRT etc. any idea how much it would be worth then also any ideas will the A4 loose more money then it usually does seeing as there is a new A4 model now on the market

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

roxychix wrote: »
    hi
    my mother is selling her 06 audi a4 1.6 for €28,000 was thinking of buyin it but not to sure would i be better going for new car or wait till july and buy then with the VRT etc. any idea how much it would be worth then also any ideas will the A4 loose more money then it usually does seeing as there is a new A4 model now on the market

€28k is very steep for that car regardless, it's about €3k over-priced IMO, especially considering she might be selling it to a family member! The 1.6 is the least desirable engine of the lot so you'd get cheaper elsewhere, even from dealers.

As for the VRT changes, in general it wouldn't put me off buying a petrol car now - I would think twice about buying a nearly new or new diesel now as diesels are the ones that will benefit most from the new VRT and tax rules. Do the sums of course as there may be exceptions - you'll need the CO2 emmissions data of the car you are interested in, and compare the tax/VRT rates now (based on engine size) as compared with July's new rates (based on CO2).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Check here what VRT and market value is
    https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/ShowVRT

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭demon3

You also have to consider if you are trading in a car, that will also depericate and potentially drop because of VRT changes if you wait untill July. I ordered my A4 2.0TDI a week ago, expect delivery in May. I am trading in a 2007 A4 1.9TDI and I got a fixed trading cost. Yes the new Audi will drop in value in July, but so would my existing car.

Also I agree, I wouldn't touch the 1.6 petrol. The engine is not strong enough to pull the car and is always under strain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Why get it in May? Get it in July, and you'll have a nice few grand lobbed of the price of it(cause of much lower VRT). It's only 2 months extra for a few grand less. The link in my sig will give you a good idea how much less.

btw, which version of the 2.0 TDI did you go for? 143, 170 or the new 120 e model?

Back on topic, 28k is very steep for a heavy car with only 102 bhp. A new A4 is €36,030, is the brand new model, much more power, torque, more economical, and you get a bigger engine too(it's a 1.8).

There's a new TDI 120 e model on the way, I reckon it could be around the €35k mark when it arrives this June(cause it has BMW style low emissions, so low VRT), and would be a much better choice than a 2 year old 1.6 A4 with an antiquated engine, or alternatively one of the more powerful diesels.

Some A4 engines are due a CO2 cut soon too, so that will decrease the price of them even further.

If I wait till July, my current car will also drop in value as a trade-in, I worked it out based on talking to a number of dealers and reading alot of websites. The new A4 will drop by about 4 grand, my car will lose about 3 1/2 to 4 grand in the same period between VRT changes and depreciation. So differece is 0 to 500 euro.

Ordered 2.0TDI 143 Sport, lowered in black with a few extras...Should look great with the LEDs. I test drove one and it is a lovely car. Compared it to the Beemer 5 series which I also test drove, also a very sweet motor. They where about the same price in July, and both had plenty of space, but Joe Duffy was offering 6 grand less for mine as a trade-in now and would not estimate a value in July (but I had to order now) :( 3 Series Beemer is too small inside.

The Audi Dealer garrunteed me a trade-in cost which was fixed no matter when the car arrives and how much mileage I do inbetween on my current A4, so I knew exactly where I stood.

I spent alot of time investigating this, but there is always a risk in these things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

demon3 wrote: »
    If I wait till July, my current car will also drop in value as a trade-in, I worked it out based on talking to a number of dealers and reading alot of websites. The new A4 will drop by about 4 grand, my car will lose about 3 1/2 to 4 grand in the same period between VRT changes and depreciation. So differece is 0 to 500 euro.

Ordered 2.0TDI 143 Sport, lowered in black with a few extras...Should look great with the LEDs. I test drove one and it is a lovely car. Compared it to the Beemer 5 series which I also test drove, also a very sweet motor. They where about the same price in July, and both had plenty of space, but Joe Duffy was offering 6 grand less for mine as a trade-in now and would not estimate a value in July (but I had to order now) :( 3 Series Beemer is too small inside.

The Audi Dealer garrunteed me a trade-in cost which was fixed no matter when the car arrives and how much mileage I do inbetween on my current A4, so I knew exactly where I stood.

I spent a lot of time investigating this, but there is always a risk in these things.
    I take the point but all you're doing is deferring the loss by changing early.

The new car is going to depreciate a lot more heavily if registered in May rather than July. When you try and trade it in next time round you'll notice, not now.

They're not going to give you extra money when you try and trade in your new A4 next time because you took it in May(if anything they'll give you less because it will presumably have higher miles on the clock cause it has 2 month's extra driving on it).

Anyway, each to their own, just as well you can get the lower road tax after July for your new car even if it's registered before July, which is a good thing in a way. And best of luck with it:).

E92 wrote: »
    I take the point but all you're doing is deferring the loss by changing early.

The new car is going to depreciate a lot more heavily if registered in May rather than July. When you try and trade it in next time round you'll notice, not now.

They're not going to give you extra money when you try and trade in your new A4 next time because you took it in May(if anything they'll give you less because it will presumably have higher miles on the clock cause it has 2 month's extra driving on it).

Anyway, each to their own, just as well you can get the lower road tax after July for your new car even if it's registered before July, which is a good thing in a way. And best of luck with it:).

You are correct that I will buy at 50, I will drive it out of the showroom, with will be worth 45, in July it will be worth 41, in 12 months it will be worth 36. The joy of owning a car.

The point I am making is that as a trade-in my current A4 will also drop in value, lets say its worth 40 now as a trade-in, in July it will also drop in value by 4 grand and will be worth 36 as a trade-in. This is due to the VRT and the mileage and age of the car. So it dosen't matter when I change I will lose 4 grand because of the VRT change. Everyone forgets this point. Its only worth waiting if your doing an all cash deal.

This way I have my 2008 car for two month more then those who buy in July and come January, a car bought in July will be worth the same as my car.

Advertisement