Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Place to stay for the Summer?

Options
  • 12-03-2008 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm looking for a place to stay over the Summer that's close to NUIG/city and <50euro / week. There's likely to be three of us looking. Any suggestions?
    I've looked into Gort na Coiribe and Cuirt but they seem very expensive. I stayed in Gort na Coiribe 2years ago for 40something a week over the Summer but I haven't tracked down that landlord again yet! A house along newcastle road would be great.

Any suggestions?

Maybe students who want to hold onto the place for the Summer and would be able to sublet for cheaper?...

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Not trying to be funny but < 50 euro a week close to city centre and close to NUIG? Not a chance, unless you don't mind living in a complete sh1thole or a cardboard box

I'd say your best bet for that kind of budget is Corrib Village out the Moycullen Rd. Bit of a hike to town though

If there are 3 of you looking, you could also try to get a double room for 2 of ye and a small single room for the 3rd person somewhere like Corrib Park/Fairlands Park which are housing estates relatively close to NUIG. Might be a good idea to contact NUIG Students Union

Also, Kinlay House Hostel just off Eyre Sq do long-term rentals with decent rates as far as I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭chat2joe

Not a chance, unless you don't mind living in a complete sh1thole or a cardboard box

As I said I stayed in a really nice house in Gort na Coiribe for about 45euro/week in the Summer of 2006. We must have got very lucky. About 70% of the houses in there were lying empty all Summer, from what I gathered it's run by a management company during term then up to the seperate house owners what they do with it in the Summer.

So ideally looking for somewhere like that where it's better than leaving it empty! Oh and we'd not mind getting out of there for RaceWeek as we know that's a big earner!

Just had a thought... a "Wanted" ad in the Galway Advertiser... hmm

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I have a ****y apartment in a small town out the country and I pay €80 a week. I can't see you getting a price anywhere near that in Galway city.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

chat2joe wrote: »
    As I said I stayed in a really nice house in Gort na Coiribe for about 45euro/week in the Summer of 2006. We must have got very lucky. About 70% of the houses in there were lying empty all Summer, from what I gathered it's run by a management company during term then up to the seperate house owners what they do with it in the Summer.

So ideally looking for somewhere like that where it's better than leaving it empty! Oh and we'd not mind getting out of there for RaceWeek as we know that's a big earner!

Just had a thought... a "Wanted" ad in the Galway Advertiser... hmm

I imagine you did get very lucky with that Gort na Coirbe place -amazing price for the location.

I know what you're talking about though. Hoping to keep a place 'warm' for students until they come back after the summer? Even at that you'd have to have several horse shoes up yer bum to get a place for <€50/week but then again there might be students who have a contract in a place until September and are going away on a J1 to the States or something and don't want to lose the place for next year.

Best bet is to put an ad in the paper like you said or get onto the college about notice boards etc. I'd be utterly amazed if you get what you're looking for at that price but best of luck with it anyway!

Advertisement