Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[*Feedback*] Stricter stance on off-topic posting

Options
  • 12-03-2008 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,866 ✭✭✭✭

This is something that has been bugging me for a while.. and a PM from one of the regulars on the forum and sueme's Peeping Tom Thread just brought it to a head.

It's become very apparent to me that threads on this forum are just getting more and more off-topic and "jokey" as they progress. *

Let's take sueme's Peeping Tom Thread (as mentioned above) as an example. It's a sensitive area (as mentioned in the thread) and yet half-way down the second page, we get discussions on smashey's belly! :confused: It then just gets more and more off-topic until I warned to get back on topic. And not one reply since! :D

I'm not saying i'm infallible in this respect. I'm guilty of it too and I do enjoy a funny or off-topic reply here and there but thread's have been going wildly off-topic and it's quite annoying for both myself and muffler (I have not consulted muffler about this but I reckon he feels the same way) to moderate as well as people outside of the Boards clique to read.

By all means, tell me i'm wrong and what you think of how the forum is currently standing or being moderated.

Thanks all.

* Don't even get me started on the Your One Outside BOI thread! :rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I have to agree with you, Basquille. The odd bit of off-topic nonsense is grand and helps to lighten the mood a bit but when it starts to de-rail threads it's gets tiresome quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I will have to hold my hands up and admit to being partly at fault for one or two of the threads running off topic. I do try to mix a bit of humour in with the more serious stuff (which category smashey's beer gut falls into is open to debate :D).

I was accused on a few occasions in the past of being too strict in moderating the forum. A couple of my decisions were a bit of the mark due to the fact that I did not know the ins and outs or the place names in Sligo and that is why myself and nanook had requested a moderator that was from Sligo. This would overcome any difficulties we had in relation to identifying the content of different topics. If Im being honest I felt that a couple of the regulars here werent over the moon about a Donegal man and a Leitrim man* (see note below) being in charge of the forum and that was something that we addressed by getting basquille on board here.

I have taken a wee bit of a more laid back approach to moderating here (at times anyhow) and perhaps I need to sharpen up a bit more. Yes basquille is right in saying that some of the threads are running all over the place at times. First and foremost it is the responsibility of the users here to post "on topic" and in accordance with the charter. Our duty is to maintain a bit of order if it is required. This is a damn good forum and its up to the regulars in particular to ensure it stays that way. I have roamed around a few of the other regional fora and I have to say that Sligo is head and shoulders above them all. But we all need to get our act together though to ensure that the forum is run in acceptable manner.

Like basquille I too would welcome all feedback whether it be here in this thread or by PM. Dont worry we wont bite ;)

*Referred to above: I dont know if many of you were aware of this but nanook has stepped down from moderating duties. He will still be popping in now and again but I wish him well and would like to acknowledge his contribution to this forum together with the North West, Donegal and Leitrim fora.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

A bit of off topic banter, or chit chat doesn't bother me at all. Even in the Peeping Tom thread, I personally didn't find it offensive that it went a little askew. I enjoy the forum and enjoy the sometimes lighthearted tone.

How about stickying a thread for Chit Chat of a more easy going nature, with no particular topic?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Basquille, I dunno I quite like the way you post a little sign of something to nudge us back on topic. I can imagine it must feel like running a class of secondary school kids that should know better though, which must be frustrating. And the new mellowed Muffler (who sometimes is the ringleader!), its nice to see him letting his hair down.
    Sligo is interesting too because more people from outside Sligo seem to come in and theres activity. Since the forum divide there seemed to be a bit of separation anxiety and sometimes insularness.
    Sometimes the most serious of conversations need a bit of lightening up cos it can get a bit tense (in topic and between people perhaps) it relents and then we naturally can go back on topic too. The nice thing about the humour is that it diffuses any type of tension. The Peeping Tom one is a question in point. There may have been a thing that we're feeling powerless to help even though you want to. I did feel for Sueme and woudlnt want to belittle the situation that her Mum is going through. Maybe times like that a pm may be useful as well?
    Nice idea about he feedback topic though. :)
    i am afraid I used to get an urge to be giddy at funerals as well...:eek:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Rozbeef

i don't see the problem with threads going off topic. that's what makes a good forum. but that's just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Leave my belly out of this. :mad::D

Eh, back on topic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

Personally, I like the banter we have here. It's the way people talk in conversation, well for us anyway. I'd feel that it was unnatural to "type" in any other way, after all it's just like having a conversation with you all on this board.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I don't mind a bit of off-topic banter. As long as it doesn't distract too much from the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Anyone hear if Dempsey is fit for the match on Saturday?........:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I agree that a bit of off topic banter is harmless (in my opinion) & can often be quite amusing... I mean, it's more like real life discussions, which can often start out quite serious then lead naturally to bit of banter on the subject (or off it as the case may be).

The problem I have is that on one hand, we seem to get warned by the moderators about doing so, even it's the case (as in the Peeping Tom thread), that the off topic banter was initiated by a moderator. I find it more than a bit inconsistent.. the banter should either be allowed or not & off topic posting / banter allowed by all or not allowed by anyone.

I have previously been warned about being "smart arsed" as opposed to "humourous", for going off topic and for posting multiple posts after each other in the one thread. So then to see multiple posts by a moderator talking off topic about Smashey's belly, joking about Bernard Manning & then posting an "ironic" self-warning about going off topic, is just confusing. As I said, I believe that the banter should either be allowed or not & off topic posting / banter allowed by all or not allowed by anyone.

As far as having Mods from Leitrim, Donegal or anyone else in the country - I've absolutely no problem with that. Most people I know in Sligo aren't even from Sligo & being a Dub, I'm well used to living in a town with people from all over the place (literally & geographically!).

My take on it is - just let it slide... most threads die off naturally anyway & sometimes the banter is what keeps them going & it doesn't stop people going back ON topic. I'm used to posting in music forums where the thread can start out (for example) as a Beatles appreciation thread & end up as a discussion on the "gayest rock shapes ever thrown onstage". I don't have any problem with it.

But as someone suggested - maybe a "chit chat" thread would be a good idea. At least if you decide to cut out the off topic banter in the threads, we'd have somewhere to talk a bit of ****e. We are Irish after all, and that's what we like to do a lot - a bit of banter, taking the piss & having the craic.

• Advertisement

Case in point....
    il gatto wrote: »
    Anyone hear if Dempsey is fit for the match on Saturday?........:p

I laughed out loud when I read that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

I don't think a bit of banter in threads is going to cause a major problem. I do think that we (the regulars) have a tendency to forget what the thread is about and just get into general chatting which sometimes can be tedious. And I'd say it does make the Sligo forum tiresome to moderate at times.

I do agree with starbelgrade on what was said about the peeping tom thread. I've seen warnings handed out by Bas for off-topic posting but then the peeping tom thread was completely derailed by something another mod has said. I think that could end up causing trouble because people won't know what's what. I can see the feedback threads starting! :rolleyes:

Basq/Muffler, what do you's think of Sue's idea of having one thread for general chat stickied so we can just chat there? Obviously there are going to be times we want to ask questions or get opinions on little things but we're not going start a thread as it's not really a big issue or worthy of it's own thread. If we had one thread to just chat in it would keep the off topic posting to a minimum in other threads in the forum? I think it's a great idea and would be beneficial. Especially for anyone new to the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I agree that a bit of off topic banter is harmless (in my opinion) & can often be quite amusing... I mean, it's more like real life discussions, which can often start out quite serious then lead naturally to bit of banter on the subject (or off it as the case may be).

The problem I have is that on one hand, we seem to get warned by the moderators about doing so, even it's the case (as in the Peeping Tom thread), that the off topic banter was initiated by a moderator. I find it more than a bit inconsistent.. the banter should either be allowed or not & off topic posting / banter allowed by all or not allowed by anyone.

I have previously been warned about being "smart arsed" as opposed to "humourous", for going off topic and for posting multiple posts after each other in the one thread. So then to see multiple posts by a moderator talking off topic about Smashey's belly, joking about Bernard Manning & then posting an "ironic" self-warning about going off topic, is just confusing. As I said, I believe that the banter should either be allowed or not & off topic posting / banter allowed by all or not allowed by anyone.

As far as having Mods from Leitrim, Donegal or anyone else in the country - I've absolutely no problem with that. Most people I know in Sligo aren't even from Sligo & being a Dub, I'm well used to living in a town with people from all over the place (literally & geographically!).

My take on it is - just let it slide... most threads die off naturally anyway & sometimes the banter is what keeps them going & it doesn't stop people going back ON topic. I'm used to posting in music forums where the thread can start out (for example) as a Beatles appreciation thread & end up as a discussion on the "gayest rock shapes ever thrown onstage". I don't have any problem with it.

But as someone suggested - maybe a "chit chat" thread would be a good idea. At least if you decide to cut out the off topic banter in the threads, we'd have somewhere to talk a bit of ****e. We are Irish after all, and that's what we like to do a lot - a bit of banter, taking the piss & having the craic.

I agree with everything you've said. Its been nice to have a 'lighter' side to this board in recent times and I also think a chit chat thread as Sueme suggested would be great. There are a few things I want to talk about that I don't think warrant a thread but a chit chat thread would cover bits of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

It's an interesting issue.
    On the one hand we have a Forum that has taken off in the last year!
    We have a good base of regular posters and we all get along quite well - most of the time!

The idea of this forum is to discuss all things Sligo.
    The subject matter is generally not the problem but it's when someone says something they believe to be true or add their own sometimes unpopular opinion. The Mods are left to decide whether the post is acceptable or not.
    If they decide it isn't some ppl think the mods are being too strict.
    If they deicde to let it go (and trust me this happens) the mod is pm'd by other memebers of the board who are offended by the post.

Bottom line is there is no way to please everyone.
    Muffler was accused in the past of being to strict by some.
    It would seem that he is more laid back in the Sligo forum and I think that is to be welcomed.

In relation to the Peeping Toms thread.
    A thread like this will always annoy a lot of ppl and they feel oblidged to say what they think should be done to said Tom which of course you are not allowed say on Boards.ie.

So then they try a bit of humour to lighten things up and of course they end up going off topic.

Is it fair to say that that type of thread is more suited to Legal issues or Personal issues? Not suggesting for one second that sueme wasn't entitled to post it here or that the Sligo Board members are ill-equipped to deal with such heavy material but hey i'm just asking the question.

The "Your one outside the boi" thread was always one that was going to end up a car crash. It sparked off an interesting debate regarding Charities which proved to be quite a "passionate" issue for a lot of ppl but it was totally off topic.

In that case above someone (tuppence and illgatto were quite active if i recall correctly) should start a new thread called "Charities" or something to keep the debate going. It would stop the thread going off-topic!
    No one's gonna eat your lunch for that! Just my two cents!

So to answer your question Basq i'm undecided.
    I'm glad i'm not a mod anymore as this topic is a challenge and will be divisive!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,866 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Am at work so can't go into details in a reply until later but thanks for the feedback all. Didn't expect this much of a response so quickly!

I think the idea of a chit-chat thread is something to look at.. just general banter and it might cut down the off-topic discussion somewhat. Any thread which is going wildly off-topic will be replied to with 'Take it to Chit-Chat'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Would somebody PLEASE think of the children! 106343-helen-lovejoy_30.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Would somebody PLEASE think of the children!
    Take it to chit-chat. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

basquille wrote: »
    Am at work

Whooo Hoooo!!! FREEE HOUSE!!

One final fling lads.:pac::D:p;)

I like puppies... they are sooooo cute..:)

basquille wrote: »
    Am at work so can't go into details in a reply until later but thanks for the feedback all. Didn't expect this much of a response so quickly!

I think the idea of a chit-chat thread is something to look at.. just general banter and it might cut down the off-topic discussion somewhat. Any thread which is going wildly off-topic will be replied to with 'Take it to Chit-Chat'

I think it's a great idea. Having a bit of craic is unavoidable sometimes as is straying a bit off topic. I don't think it needs to be dealt with too firmly unless it gets out of hand, but in most cases, the posts are harmless & I've yet to read anything I've found offensive in the slightest.

Now - get back to work Bas... I'm not paying you good money to be dossing on forums!

Signed

Your Boss.

Thread-Crap-No_Hope.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

If someone says Group Hugs I am out of here. :eek::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I have to say I don't mind the off topic posting at all on this forum, I think the bit of craic makes it more fun and would encourage new users to post more. I mean there are some funny people on here, Counting Crows made a comment recently that made me laugh out loud behind my computer screen!

On the other hand I can see Basquille's point. For example, if the topic is a serious one then off topic posting may not be helpful.

Anway I think the mods here are doing a good job as it is already, (like good football referees, you don't notice them and they let the game flow).

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭snowdaze

I am pretty new here and find that a thread gets locked very easily - sometimes before the original poster gets back to reply to responses:)

I agree with moderation when needed and agree it is sometimes not an enviable task - however, from the response to this topic already I think the overall view in this is pretty much clear:D

Is there a wee smilie saying "off topic" that could be used rather than a telling off from a mod???:)

snowdaze wrote: »
    Is there a wee smilie saying "off topic" that could be used rather than a telling off from a mod???:)
    offtopic.gif

But both myself and muffler don't really wanna spend our days posting smilies (muffler would rather post picture of smashey's gut!) though. I suppose making everyone aware of the situation will do for the time being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

Rozbeef wrote: »
    i don't see the problem with threads going off topic. that's what makes a good forum. but that's just my opinion.

I agree - I cant stand boards that are over moderated - leave threads alone I say :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

i dont think the odd off topic post is too bad, epecially if it relates to the original subject or to something mentioned in the conversaton, as long as its only dwelled on for a post or two,

a recent example i can think of was the thread on the strand hill road works, a comparsion was made to road works going on in letterkenny, on which i asked how they were getting on, off topic conversation (letterkenny works) lasted for two or three posts before going back to the main conversation, i think as long as you achknowledge you are off topic and its in keeping with the main context of the conversation and its not dwelled on, no harm done

when it gets bad, is when two posters start a totally seperate conversation, that has no relevence at all to the original post, or the subject of conversation, and there is no attempt to make any kind of refernce to the current thread or the topic of conversation

hope that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

A previous poster mentionned how conversations go off on tangeants - I believe forum threads do and (should) have a right to do so as long as the original topic has been discussed to some degree and the topic is moving in a different direction by virtue of the first one being somewhat "over".

There is nothing that keeps people from quoting a previous post and replying to it.

Lastly, let's face it... there isn't really much room for "off topic" discussion on boards. After Hours is awash with the unwashed, and most other forums are so strict in their "you must post about sterling silver studded belt loops only - no nickel plated!"ness. It's a bit frustrating... anyway. Just because we're the Sligo board... can't that mean we're just people from Sligo talking [typing] about stuff? Obviously we should try to make it pertinent to Sligo at first, but a bit of off topic after a while never hurt anyone and will keep the forum active.

typety type type I never shut up eh?

but i dont think you can allow it to go off topic to much either, especially if some one comes to the conversation late, maybe we shoud just have a thread just for off topic, general conversation like, but remebering if you want to discuss some thing specfic you discuss it in its own thread

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

the problem with sticky threads is they get so long that you can't get a grasp of it.

• Advertisement

but if its general chat or an off topic thread, theres nothing to particular grasp, it should be allowed to go off on tagent if there is no particlar subject

it can work well if there is just a handfull of regular posters, and keep the subject specfic threads seperate

just my feelings,thoughts on it

Advertisement