Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[*Feedback*] Stricter stance on off-topic posting

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

going off topic is often enevitable, it adds a bit of banter to the proceedings, and i would welcome it, but then again i hang out on the galway boards alot and going off topic is a necessity.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=303646

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

muffler wrote: »
    A beers night would sort that ;)
    after the match tomoorow

:D

sorry, off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Sorry in the delayed response all.

What i meant by "cliquey" is NOT that we exclude outsiders, but that we have our own little in-jokes and comments on the forum between the regulars. Probably was the wrong term to use.

What muffler has said a few posts back is spot on, I think i'm largely pleased with how the forum is progressing. As i've said numerous times, I think mainly making people aware of the increase in off-topic posting was something this thread has at least done.

A 'chit-chat' thread is not something I want to put out there just yet as there's too many of those type threads elsewhere. And notice they're in the depths of Boards.ie too - The Cuckoo's Nest (no offence to my fellow nesters! :o) and The Thunderdome. It's something we'll on the cards for the future but for the time being, we'll leave the forum the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

This forum is open to the public, and as long as they abide by the rules of Boards.ie and the particular charter, then surely any thread topic can be started? I understand it would have to be moderated, but thats really not my problem, it's the Mods who took on the job.

If I started a "Sligo Chit Chat" thread, would it be locked? If so, I think its wrong.

I want to ask if the curtain shop on Castle Street is still open. Its not worth a new thread, but I could put it out to the locals and I'd get an answer. Some of the regulars are going to the Rovers match tonight, I'd like to ask how they got on, not the match, but the meet up. Loads of little things like this, that aren't worthy of a thread on their own, but imo, would keep the forum moving in a positive way.

My 2c worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

sueme wrote: »
    This forum is open to the public, and as long as they abide by the rules of Boards.ie and the particular charter, then surely any thread topic can be started? I understand it would have to be moderated, but thats really not my problem, it's the Mods who took on the job.

If I started a "Sligo Chit Chat" thread, would it be locked? If so, I think its wrong.

I want to ask if the curtain shop on Castle Street is still open. Its not worth a new thread, but I could put it out to the locals and I'd get an answer. Some of the regulars are going to the Rovers match tonight, I'd like to ask how they got on, not the match, but the meet up. Loads of little things like this, that aren't worthy of a thread on their own, but imo, would keep the forum moving in a positive way.

My 2c worth.

I totally agree with you Sueme.
    I wanted to talk about the car crash on Monday and also the local radio stations.
    Both not worthy of new threads and both concerning Sligo so not suitable for me to talk about it in another forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

I like the idea of a chit chat thread but it could descend into nonsense as Basquille said.
    I want to ask if the curtain shop on Castle Street is still open. Its not worth a new thread,
    Why wouldn't it be? Threads can be started on anything as long as it concerns Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I agree with Madge. What's the harm in starting new threads?
    If it only gets a couple of replies I feel it's worth it.

Look at some of the threads in AH or Soccer. They are huge and hard to read through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Gillie wrote: »
    Look at some of the threads in AH or Soccer. They are huge and hard to read through.

Yeah I think it is better to have threads on specific topics regardless of how meaningless a topic might be deemed; sure look at the sausages thread!
    It is better than 1 big long 1 packed with this, that and the other. It could get messy.

My point is, a "Nonsense" thread is wanted by some of the users of the forum. We can't post off topic, as its obviously annoying some users, so have a "Nonsense/Chit-Chat" thread where we can just chat. If you don't want to read it fair enough, if you find it too long use the "View last read post thingy".

Then we have smiley faces all round!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yes, it would be locked and I would do so without any qualms. You'd be going against the wishes of two moderators who both currently express no need for this thread.
    Go ahead and start a new thread no matter how simple a query is.

Think about it this way - which is better? You post a new thread about whether the curtain shop on Castle Street is still open and await a reply, or post it in a 'Chit-Chat / Nonsense' thread where it'll be lost in among the chit-chat / nonsense. I've seen this happen numerous times on these type threads.

Madge is spot on with her point that any thread (no matter how brief or meaningless it is) can be posted as long as it pertains to Sligo.

• Advertisement

basquille wrote: »
    Yes, it would be locked and I would do so without any qualms. You'd be going against the wishes of two moderators who both currently express no need for this thread.

Go ahead and start a new thread no matter how simple a query is.

Think about it this way - which is better? You post a new thread about whether the curtain shop on Castle Street is still open and await a reply, or post it in a 'Chit-Chat / Nonsense' thread where it'll be lost in among the chit-chat / nonsense. I've seen this happen numerous times on these type threads.

Madge is spot on with her point that any thread (no matter how brief or meaningless it is) can be posted as long as it pertains to Sligo.

Well thats me told!

I suppose a poll is out of the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I suppose a poll is out of the question?
    Not if you do a poll dance. :D

Oops, off topic. My bad.

I'll get me coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

smashey wrote: »
    Not if you do a poll dance. :D
    I live in hope

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

have to side with the mods on this one - there is nothing more frustrating than reading a thread and then losing your train of thought by off topic posting.
    there are a number of threads i would not bother reading like curtain shops etc but have no problem with anyone posting looking for info on them.
    i think if people think carefully about the title before the op , it will be easier for all to read the topics that interest them

Advertisement