Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Pop Music

Options
  • 12-03-2008 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭

I have been listening to the likes of

Westlife - Us against the world
    Take That- Patience
    Back Street Boys- Incomplete

to name a few( not like me at all) but i cannot help but LOVE the songwriting these boy bands are coming out with. I presume they are not written by them but its about time these guys start throwing out some credible tunes. Anyway, my point. They production in these tunes is fantastic. The thought gone in the mixes is amazing. I Say fair play

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

sei046 wrote: »
    I have been listening to the likes of

Westlife - Us against the world
    Take That- Patience
    Back Street Boys- Incomplete

to name a few( not like me at all) but i cannot help but LOVE the songwriting these boy bands are coming out with. I presume they are not written by them but its about time these guys start throwing out some credible tunes. Anyway, my point. They production in these tunes is fantastic. The thought gone in the mixes is amazing. I Say fair play

Would be cool to see a mix of one of those tunes in a studio .I would imagine there is allot of mixing going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

The production is amazing, but the songs themselves are deadful schlock IMHO, with the exception of Take That, where Gary, "the talented one" is actually a fine songwriter (as evidenced by the last big single currently doing the rounds as the morrisons supermarket jingle on telly). He's also a decent engineer/produces and has a fine studio.

The westlife and backstreet boys stuff seems to me to be more an exercise in inspired marketing than good music.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I personally don't care who makes a track, only whether I like it or not.

So I like Back for Good by Take That and I like The Penguin Cafe Orchestra and King Tubby and Will Young and The Smiths and Alison Krauss

I don't like sloppiness as a rule so the Stones and Lo Fi stuff rarely do anything for me. If you don't care enough to play it in time or in tune I don't care to listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Hi, my names Niall, and I too, to my shame, have been secretly listening to modern pop mixes...

Currently on my MP3 player are artists I wouldn't even confide in my pet turtles that I listen to. But, do check out Mika. I only got around to checking out his album a few weeks ago, and it's bloody great. Eh, from a production point of view, of course... :o

MIKA?????????????:eek::eek:

Don't EVER tell the Turtles....... and you a Manley user. Tsssssst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

I did some research on some of the pop tracks I like and 90% of them had Luke Gottwald as writer/co-writer and producer/co-producer.

So it seems I'm probably more a fan of him than the actual artists!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I find those songs very boring and predictable, modern version of show bands. I prefer US R'n'B stuff if I'm listening to pop music. I couldn't stop listening to "One Thing" by Amarieanseo for ages

I don't mind a bit of Lo-Fi, it's nice to be able to hear some people in there behind all the polish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Dont like Lofi. No I actually find the stuff these pop bands are bringing out is an awful lot more dynamic that "backstreets back" or "we've got a little world of our own" or whatever. Im not saying its the best out. im just saying i am liking the direction they are heading more. I as a rule dont listen to stuff on the radio. not out of ignorance or anything but i just know i wont find a tune i like. So if a pop band or a band i wouldnt listen to come out with a good catchy tune i applaud them

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/
    That's the stuff I like to listen to , Online . Interesting New Stuff with Good Old stuff and intelligent views...

Advertisement