Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just bought a icom-735 hf set.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

brother that is oh so true, and not to forget rigs that have also being widebanded for tx mods and amps as well that push way past the permitted power maybe comreg should police the rallies like customs do the markets?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

humaxf1 wrote: »
    Does a car salesperson ask if you have a driver's licence before selling you a car? Lets face it, an unlicensed and inexperienced "driver" can do alot more damage in a car than an unlicensed radio operator. I have heard some dire operators on the air who I wouldn't trust to wire a mains plug never mind key a mic and talk.

I reckon people post here for the laugh just to get a reaction and everyone on their moral high-horse.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

There's no moral high-horse about it. I couldn't care less what others do with their radios, that's their business. But when people come onto a site like this asking questions and looking for advice, I think they should be given the correct information, so that if they decide to transmit anywhere they choose, they will at least know what they are doing.

The OP was coming out with stuff like "it's illegal to transmit on 11m, but I'm ok to transmit on 10m". :confused: All I want to do is make sure that people at least have the correct information, because clearly what some people believe (and are told by someone who just wants rid of a radio and see the €€€€€) and what is actually true are completely different in some cases. Not much we can do beyond that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭The RF Tech Guy

brother that is oh so true, and not to forget rigs that have also being widebanded for tx mods and amps as well that push way past the permitted power maybe comreg should police the rallies like customs do the markets?

Based on current legislation in Ireland which is different than that in the UK governing the possession of a radio transmitter, any radio transmitter which is not license exempt should have its sale regulated the same a a firearm.

Make, model, serial number, license details of purchaser, etc... If each license holder has a log book attached to their license document each radio transmitter could be listed. In the case of Ham radio operators, when equipment is bought and sold the dates and equipment details could easily be recorded as well as the new owner etc...

This approach need not harm retailers either, they would simply be limited to selling the appropriate equipment to the appropriate users. e.g a CB'er would not be allowed to purchase a Ham radio transmitter but could freely purchase a type approved license exempt CB or as many as they wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

"Based on current legislation in Ireland which is different than that in the UK governing the possession of a radio transmitter, any radio transmitter which is not license exempt should have its sale regulated the same a a firearm."

Nanny state anyone?
    OP is well aware of the consequences if he transmits etc.
    I wish him luck in getting a licence & enjoying radio as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭brownmini

Based on current legislation in Ireland which is different than that in the UK governing the possession of a radio transmitter, any radio transmitter which is not license exempt should have its sale regulated the same a a firearm.

As far as I know the legislation is already there.

One lump goes back to 1926.
    Another lump came in around 1988 which was used to whack the pirate radio stations and thats the bit that came in about supplying transmitters to people who dont have licences for the transmitter in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,569 ✭✭✭bassy

lads things have changed a lot since i first started this thread,i am licensed over 2 years now and loving the hobby :)
    i realise now that what i was asking and saying was a total farce :D
    i fully understand all bands frequenceys and where you can and cannot transmit etc.

i studied for quite some time leading up to the exam and i was sucessful in june 2010 :D

the thing is if you want your license bad you will reap the rewards if you put the effort in,i look back at this thread i started and soe of the stupid statements i wrote were woeful,but you learn something new when you put the effort in :) so a lesson to any guys or ladies if you want it,you will get it if you put the time and effort in :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

bassy wrote: »
    lads things have changed a lot since i first started this thread,i am licensed over 2 years now and loving the hobby :)
    i realise now that what i was asking and saying was a total farce :D
    i fully understand all bands frequenceys and where you can and cannot transmit etc.

i studied for quite some time leading up to the exam and i was sucessful in june 2010 :D

the thing is if you want your license bad you will reap the rewards if you put the effort in,i look back at this thread i started and soe of the stupid statements i wrote were woeful,but you learn something new when you put the effort in :) so a lesson to any guys or ladies if you want it,you will get it if you put the time and effort in :)

Fair play, delighted you are enjoying your radio! Like I said above, the only thing (most) of us were trying to do was provide accurate information. Glad you got sorted anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

Anyone else not notice the thread was so old :p

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭brownmini

Yes, but you'll find that a new audience will have gained something from it.
    Exactly what that is, will vary reader-by-reader.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Yes I did but this forum is so quiet one can only resurrect a dormant thread :D

• Advertisement

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Yes I did but this forum is so quiet one can only resurrect a dormant thread :D

Not only that,,,, but also to finish the story first started,,,,nice one on the test results keeping the bands busy i hope;)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

lol yes congrats OP. PM if you wanna try 20 any morning from here. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I like 17m / 18MHz. The 6m mobile whip tunes up nicely. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭zen260

Make, model, serial number, license details of purchaser, etc... If each license holder has a log book attached to their license document each radio transmitter could be listed. In the case of Ham radio operators, when equipment is bought and sold the dates and equipment details could easily be recorded as well as the new owner etc...

This approach need not harm retailers either, they would simply be limited to selling the appropriate equipment to the appropriate users. e.g a CB'er would not be allowed to purchase a Ham radio transmitter but could freely purchase a type approved license exempt CB or as many as they wish.
    never did i read such crap in all my life,,,compairing hf radio and firearms in the same sentence,,i amateur radio for 14 years now and have worked cb for many years before i was licenced and still do,,,in the eyes of regcom amateurs are the bottom feeders of the radio spectrum,,,nobody cares who works 11m band its not important,,90% of hams work 11m and why shouldnt they,its just another band,,and its not illegal to own a hf for use on 11m FACT,,enjoy your radio,by all means go for your licence as you have many bands to choose from,,,and it has never been easy to pass your exam,,,its now multiple choice and the morse code has been dropped,,couldnt be easier,,when i got my ticket it only allowed me to work vhf and uhf,,i then had to learn cw to use hf,,,now its simple because the hobby is dying and the irts is trying to get some young blood into the hobby,,,so lighten up on the guy he only asked for advise on the hobby,,thats the thing about a lot of hams they really do think there a step above every one else,,,sad really,,at the end of the day its only a hobby so who care,,and p,s,go and listen on 80m some nights and some so called hams operate like dogs and i must say some of the best operators i have ever worked was on 11m band,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

High Horses lol

Nearly EVERY ham i know today at one time WAS a CBer , no question !!

I spent many happy years , 80`s 90`s on 11m
    I worked all over the world on 11mtrs on my Icom-735 and other radios.
    Confirmed over 100 countries , 3 element yagi and my faithful 735.

The hobby is almost dead :eek:

Not too many on that horse now :rolleyes:

Stargate

radios, guns, bombs,:eek: were all finished

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭zen260

lol ,,tushay my friend

• Registered Users Posts: 1 knightman

Cb radio is ment to be used with no more then 4watts as its licence exempt and thats am or in uk fm as for ten meters is only for licenced hams wich uses beacons satelites and voice

Closing this one, thread is 5 years old with the same stuff repeated over and over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement