Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread & Off Topic Thread II - Collectors Edition Bumper Pack

Comments

pvt.joker wrote: »
    Not to me it's not. How would they feel if they were that person on the ground? Anyone that could walk by and watch a guy getting stamped on the head is inhuman tbh

I agree, Id never be able to live with myself if i didnt help or go down trying. But Ive been doin martial arts of some form or another for 7 years as well as being a decent size so Id never forgive myself if I stood and let that happen when I knew I could have done something. I have been givin out to by friends in the past for breaking up fights on nights out because they say Ill get hurt and the sad thing is thats true. Im lucky cos the only time one of the lads ever turned on me I just threw him onto the ground and held him there until he calmed down. But he could have pulled a knife/bottle etc and put me in hospital on another night had I not have been so lucky, and all i did was pull the 2 lads apart and tell them it wasnt worth it. I can completely understand people who arent used to any violence let alone the horrific level of violence Des described there freezing up. Imagine some scumbag filled with rage seemingly not caring if he kills someone or not standing there, and you're 5"0 tall, skinny and have never been in a fight, you'd sh1t your pants. And as Des said, when 2 people try to intervene against a raving lunatic, and end up on the ground getting kicked, people get aprehensive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Hello from sunny corfu lads :D as promised am having a cocktail for ye all!

What's the gossip? Haven't time to read all the posts here...

Basically Des has been invited to appear on page 3 in the Sun i think..

:pac:

What? He bailed? He can't miss me that much??!! This sounds better than home and away :D Weather is unreal but we're being eaten alive by bugs. How bad tho, beats being stuck at home. When are ur repeats?

Yea, only Al knows why! This will they wont they goes on! Oh u had caled dibs on Al had ya?! Des wont be happy!! :p

Ah Ive no sympathy for ya, Id take gettin eaten alive by anything for a bitta weather!

Repeats are in the second week of September so have a good bit of time to do them right this time!! :D Summers f**ked tho!! :mad::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Hello from sunny corfu lads :D as promised am having a cocktail for ye all!

What's the gossip? Haven't time to read all the posts here...

Hang on hang on....
    You are in Corfu, yet you are online reading boards soccer forum.....
    I have one word for you....
    WHY? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Went to a club last night. Felt old. I'm 22.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Kold wrote: »

:eek:

I was in Q Bar on Saturday night, I definitely felt like a paedo, I'm 28.

Kold wrote: »

Thats what you get for going to those under 18's disco's ya perve!

Des wrote: »
    :eek:

I was in Q Bar on Saturday night, I definitely felt like a paedo, I'm 28.

Q Bar? Des, :eek::eek: I went there for a perios when I was 18!!!

Next thing you will be telling us you went to Tramco Des ;)

Actually, my DAD got refused from The Porterhouse on Nassau Street on Saturday night, at about eleven o'clock.

He had a right go at the bouncer and asked for the manager, the bouncer said the manager would be "out in a minute" so my dad timed a minute on his watch, then started going mad again.

My brother had to drag him off into a taxi, then my brother arrived back in the pub I was in, only for my dad to arrive back, get a pint and down a couple of Jaeger's.

He's 56 :D

I have a LOT to live up to.

• Advertisement

Actually, my DAD got refused from The Porterhouse on Nassau Street on Saturday night, at about eleven o'clock.

He had a right go at the bouncer and asked for the manager, the bouncer said the manager would be "out in a minute" so my dad timed a minute on his watch, then started going mad again.

My brother had to drag him off into a taxi, then my brother arrived back in the pub I was in, only for my dad to arrive back, get a pint and down a couple of Jaeger's.

Hero!

IrishMike wrote: »
    Next thing you will be telling us you went to Tramco Des ;)

Haha oh the humanity! I'll never show my face there again thats for sure!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Yeah, I used to go to this clubnight all the time when I was 18 and all the old regulars are gone and every girl I talked to was all about starting college next Sept and I just felt really old. That and I was trying all night to keep my drinks down. Had polished off a naggin of Teachers before leaving my mates house.

Fair play to him Des, proof that you're only as old as u feel!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Lads.

I've been approached by a reporter about a thread I posted in another part of the website. They want to use it as a story.

Pity it's the bleedin' Sun. :mad::mad:
    I'm not even going to reply to a sun journo tbh.

fair play des.

well played.

Maybe you could have a word with IrishMike too :(

Uh oh, I see this thread descendin into a row. Lads, cant we all just acceot our differences and get along!?! :P

IrishMike, I'd really, really consider editing that post.

It's bordering on baiting, imo.

Why Des?
    Already had a 2 page debate about this in the Liverpool thread where i said the exact same.
    Im a Liverpool fan, but not a true fan supposedly, due to believing that :rolleyes:

Well then surely keep it to the LFC thread? This thread doesnt need to rows, this is a safe place, a happy place, a nest if you will!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Mike this is an off topic thread. Normally such football talk is likely to have you banned from the soccer forum. I think. :confused:

Banned ?
    Eeekkkk, it will be self imposed exile!

Fine fine i retract the previous statments, the sun blows etc etc.

If gold falls to $950 an ounce i get me a free weekend.
    Go on you good thing!

Great it rallied by $10 after i said this.
    Bastard :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

I agree, Id never be able to live with myself if i didnt help or go down trying. But Ive been doin martial arts of some form or another for 7 years as well as being a decent size so Id never forgive myself if I stood and let that happen when I knew I could have done something. I have been givin out to by friends in the past for breaking up fights on nights out because they say Ill get hurt and the sad thing is thats true. Im lucky cos the only time one of the lads ever turned on me I just threw him onto the ground and held him there until he calmed down. But he could have pulled a knife/bottle etc and put me in hospital on another night had I not have been so lucky, and all i did was pull the 2 lads apart and tell them it wasnt worth it. I can completely understand people who arent used to any violence let alone the horrific level of violence Des described there freezing up. Imagine some scumbag filled with rage seemingly not caring if he kills someone or not standing there, and you're 5"0 tall, skinny and have never been in a fight, you'd sh1t your pants. And as Des said, when 2 people try to intervene against a raving lunatic, and end up on the ground getting kicked, people get aprehensive.

Let me teach you, in the future use paragraphs so we can all read what you were writing, its confusing man, your english and grammar sucks, we cant read that without getting a headache

:pac::pac::pac::D:D:D

Let me teach you, in the future use paragraphs so we can all read what you were writing, its confusing man, your english and grammar sucks, we cant read that without getting a headache

:pac::pac::pac::D:D:D

:D

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

:D nice one delija

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I don't think much of heroes.

If myself or my friends were attacked I'd defend myself and them (I'm more than capable for my size) but I would never get involved in another fight. My relatives have done such things in the past and suffered as a result. I've seen quite a few "heroes" in the ER too.

Add to that the fact you never really know what went down before you arrived.

• Advertisement

I am off again, starting tommorow.

Another smaller trip,eh thats only what man can do i supose when he gets 4 moths free:D

I am off again, starting tommorow.

Another smaller trip,eh thats only what man can do i supose when he gets 4 moths free:D

Where are ya off to man?

GuanYin wrote: »

If myself or my friends were attacked I'd defend myself and them (I'm more than capable for my size) but I would never get involved in another fight. My relatives have done such things in the past and suffered as a result. I've seen quite a few "heroes" in the ER too.

Thats all well and good but if you were being set upon by some thug,would you not like someone to intervene? Fair point on the not knowing whats gone on before you arrived though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

All of yee, round the back of the school sheds, tomorrow at 3!

Where are ya off to man?

Well after Slovenia and Austria now i will just go here in Serbia in one place for few days,i spent a lot of money before so i need to find some cheap solutions to have fun next few months:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

ah, the first season was pretty good in fairness. the second was muck for most, but it picked up towards the end. have high hopes for the third.

Regardless of what went down before you showed up, there's never a reason to stamp someone's head into the pavement. If he's innocent he doesn't deserve it and does deserve the heroism of a passer by. If he's a rapist caught by an angry boyfriend and getting stomped the angry boyfriend is a vigilante and he's just victimised the rapist and is likely to spend as much time in jail for stomping the rapist as the rapist is for committing sexual assault if not more.

Des showed a calm head when the first thing he did was contact the law instead of going in swinging or turning a blind eye. You can get involved without needing to choose between fists or fleeing.

/two cents.

Des showed a calm head when the first thing he did was contact the law instead of going in swinging or turning a blind eye. You can get involved without needing to choose between fists or fleeing.

/two cents.

Well I was talking about heroes in terms of people involving themselves physically. Calling the police is just "the right thing". I was also being slightly facetious in using the term hero in my context.

It is late where you are , I'll excuse you.

leninbenjamin - I like the main hero :)

Well after Slovenia and Austria now i will just go here in Serbia in one place for few days,i spent a lot of money before so i need to find some cheap solutions to have fun next few months:D

Nice post before mate!! :D

Enjoy it, sounds awesome.

GuanYin wrote:
    Well I was talking about heroes in terms of people involving themselves physically. Calling the police is just "the right thing". I was also being slightly facetious in using the term hero in my context.

It is late where you are , I'll excuse you.

leninbenjamin - I like the main hero

Coolio. Funny I'm having this conversation. I'm just back from Hancock. Funny show.

Well I was talking about heroes in terms of people involving themselves physically. Calling the police is just "the right thing". I was also being slightly facetious in using the term hero in my context

If I was on the ground gettin kicked to death Id much prefer someone to pull the guy off than to get kicked repeatedly for the 5-10 minutes it would take the police to arrive.

I guess the Brian Murphy incident (synopsis - a young man in Dublin about 5 years ago who was kicked to death outside a nightclub. He died from the swelling and brain trauma caused by getting kicked in the head a bunch of times) has people over here VERY intolerant of that kind of thing.

Im no hero but theres no way in hell id stand by and watch a guy get kkicked in the head over and over again. None. Couldnt live with myself if the guy died, Id fell guilt the rest of my life.

I dont understand your "not thinking much of heroes" - yes its not the smartest thing to do from a self preservation point of view (neither is going to disease ridden countries as a volunteer etc) but that doesnt mean its not the right thing to do. If you're intervening stops the guy taking the 10th kick that would have killed him, or had him eating through a straw the rest of his life while his family had to care for him, then IMO thats the right thing to do even if u end up taking a punch yourself. Obviously its the flipside where it could end up being u getting kicked to death but I just would not be able to live with myself if I just stood and watched.

What Des did was correct though, the police needed to be there and fair play to him for giving chase as well, very brave. Not a lot of people would have.

leninbenjamin - I like the main hero :)

who's the main hero? hiro? there's so many of them i can never tell who people are talking about. normally you wimmins always go for Sylar for some obscure reason...

Thats all well and good but if you were being set upon by some thug,would you not like someone to intervene? Fair point on the not knowing whats gone on before you arrived though

I'd like trained professionals to intervene and not endanger myself or themselves further. I'd like to think I'd never be in such a situation.
    I dont understand your "not thinking much of heroes" - yes its not the smartest thing to do from a self preservation point of view (neither is going to disease ridden countries as a volunteer etc) but that doesnt mean its not the right thing to do. If you're intervening stops the guy taking the 10th kick that would have killed him, or had him eating through a straw the rest of his life while his family had to care for him, then IMO thats the right thing to do even if u end up taking a punch yourself. Obviously its the flipside where it could end up being u getting kicked to death but I just would not be able to live with myself if I just stood and watched.
    My general experience of such heroes is treating them for severe stab or gunshot wounds so you'll excuse my disdain for their actions. In general, a call to the police will have someone with the correct training there to resolve the situation and not put anyone else at risk. In addition, my experience suggests that alcohol or drugs fuel alot of these acts of "heroism". I don't believe such impaired judgement is ideal for entering into a situation of violence.

Knowing when not to fight is a dictum of eastern philosophy that really seems to have been lost in western society.
    "One should never engage in a prolonged struggle with someone who is willing to kill, or who seems to be willing to kill. Unless you are also willing to kill. They will always have the upper hand. Your only recourse is escape or if required, to fashion the opportunity to escape."

who's the main hero? hiro? there's so many of them i can never tell who people are talking about. normally you wimmins always go for Sylar for some obscure reason...

Peter. I probably wouldn't say no to Clare :)

Peter. I probably wouldn't say no to Clare :)

ah jaysus... the two worst written characters in the whole thing? i'm hoping both will be killed off pronto.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Remind me never to eat pizza again.

Nice post before mate!! :D

Enjoy it, sounds awesome.

Thanks mate

Anyway,nice post by you too,some nice paragraphs there:pac::pac::pac:

Never eat pizza again

Why not ?:confused:

bookmarked ;)

I'd like trained professionals to intervene and not endanger myself or themselves further. I'd like to think I'd never be in such a situation.

Not always an option and it can be a case of (God forbid) you intervene and help or u witness someone getting kicked to death. Illl always go with option A, thats my personality, i stick up for people by nature, couldnt watch that.

GuanYin wrote:
    My general experience of such heroes is treating them for severe stab or gunshot wounds so you'll excuse my disdain for their actions. In general, a call to the police will have someone with the correct training there to resolve the situation and not put anyone else at risk. In addition, my experience suggests that alcohol or drugs fuel alot of these acts of "heroism". I don't believe such impaired judgement is ideal for entering into a situation of violence.

Knowing when not to fight is a dictum of eastern philosophy that really seems to have been lost in western society.
    "One should never engage in a prolonged struggle with someone who is willing to kill, or who seems to be willing to kill. Unless you are also willing to kill. They will always have the upper hand. Your only recourse is escape or if required, to fashion the opportunity to escape."

Maybe you should aim your disdain at those who perpetrate the crimes u speak of while holding some sympathy for the victims?

Ideally be like Maximus Desimus Meridius and organise an army to take said psycho down! Power of numbers!! "Ready......Charge"!! :pac:

I dunno PSI, personally I couldnt watch, Id take a black eye/broken bones and a clean consicence over knowing someone died or was disabled for life and I could have helped them. Thats my nature, maybe you're different and there;s nothing wrong with that either.

It doesn't react well with my system, like a middle eastern drinking milk. Like they can be ok taste wise, but the trauma caused...its just not worth it.

Leninbenjamin I'm holding you responsible if another pizza touches my mouth.

It doesn't react well with my system, like a middle eastern drinking milk. Like they can be ok taste wise, but the trauma caused...its just not worth it.

Leninbenjamin I'm holding you responsible if another pizza touches my mouth.

I was always saying you are weird dude....

Thats my favorite meal,i couldnt live without it

:pac::pac::pac:

Clown......:pac:

:P

*SMACK*

Dont you ever call me again like that,now i will ask for you to be banned coz of offending me coz of my religion and open thread in feedback, when you get up from the floor you can come to give some answers,if you get up...
    What a strong fist....

*looking at my hand*

:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Its ****ing Irish humour, you Serbians obviosuly don't 'get ' it? No matter how hard you try to ignore it, this is Irish humour.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement