Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread & Off Topic Thread II - Collectors Edition Bumper Pack

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

meh... i've heard Bale is pretty poor in it. his voice acting is supposed to be shockingly bad in it.

and they are already saing ledger should get an oscar for it...

seems like a load of hype that will be hard to live up to for me.

I dont mind Bales "bat-voice", bit taken aback when i heard it first, but it makes sense that you'd change it.

Ledger looks amazing, he has always had the talent to win an oscar (monsters ball/Brokeback mountain) and he was being tipped for an oscar for this long before his death.

If cynical ****ers try and ruin this movie i will hunt them down :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Villain wrote: »
    hate the games hate the corrupt organisation and hate the small minds of many people who support and run the clubs.

That's a lot of hate for one person to carry.

Why do people from Dublin hate GAA so much ? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

pvt.joker wrote: »
    Des, the GAA as a whole didnt want to kill them off. Maybe some board of directors or some other group of ar*seholes did, but the vast vast majority of GAA followers would want nothing to do with putting a club out of business. And I say that as a strong GAA supporter.

HQ are paying the legal fees for TD. Where do HQ get their money?

The money is coming from HQ. NOT ONE SINGLE delegate questioned the action at any of the previous national councils of the gah, not one delegate even motioned for it to be discussed. Turning a blind eye is as good as supporting the action imo. NOT ONE gah person spoke out against the action.

None.

Nada.

Keeping schtum is tacit support, in my book.
    If the FAI-lure top brass had the opportunity, Im sure theyd do the exact same. Its all about ensuring your own sport thrives.

The gah club in question, Thomas Davis, already have plenty of ground, a clubhouse and other facilities in Tallaght.

The ONLY reason they took this stance against Rovers was to ensure they no longer existed.

Here's a quote from David Kennedy, a board member from Thomas Davis

"I'm confident that in any bout with Rovers that the GAA will be the last man standing,"

Says it all, imo.
    Im not condoning the GAA's actions, however holding a grudge against all GAA followers, and saying that anyone who supports GAA and Irish soccer makes you sick ..it crazy talk.

It's hypocritical, to say the least, for someone to continue to pay the gah money, while at the same time claiming to be a supporter of Irish football.

and villain, I fail to see the relevance of the gah's amateur status in all of this.

Why was it brought up?

Mr Alan wrote: »
    "The Dark Knight" is officially the highest rated film of all time on IMDB.

Compiled from about 50,000 reviews, it scores an average rating of 9.5 out of 10!

Beating "The Godfather" which comes in at number 2 and score an average of 9.1.

It is embarrasing how looking forward to this i am.

and its 2hrs32mins long.....ahhhh sweetness : D

Im goin this weekend and I cannot fricken wait!!

By all accounts Ledger is amazing in it.

Villain wrote: »
    ROFL thats the funniest thing I have ever had said about me, on the gah side of an argument?? lol not in a million years, hate the games hate the corrupt organisation and hate the small minds of many people who support and run the clubs.

I have been involved in underage soccer since 8, playing it still and have managed underage teams, being secrectary of club etc etc, my Father is very highly involved with the SFAI, I love soccer but the Eircom league is a joke, professional??? my under 13 side from a few years ago were more professional, I've being managed by an ex LOI manager and the whole thing is a joke.

My point was simple the gah with all their faults at least accept that they are amateur.
    None of this is actually relevant, and is again a pop at the eL for no actual reason other than to have a pop.

Why are you doing this?

I don't understand it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Ledger looks amazing

gaydar.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

That's a lot of hate for one person to carry.

From Dublin?? Ah here thats funny, I'm from Carlow which might explain some of the hate.:D

Villain ain't from Dubland. ;)

Des wrote: »
    None of this is actually relevant, and is again a pop at the eL for no actual reason other than to have a pop.

Why are you doing this?

I don't understand it at all.

You are having a pop at the GAA for no reason.
    Hurling rules, FACT!!!!

• Advertisement

IrishMike wrote: »
    You are having a pop at the GAA for no reason.
    Er...did you not read my posts? :confused::confused:

The reasons are perfectly outlined. :rolleyes:

Hurling rules, FACT!!!!

Hurling has rules? That's a new one on me tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Thread closed as it seems we're not using this for off topic chat anymore.

When the involved parties want to PM me to explain why this thread became a GAA vs. Soccer debate, please do and I'll consider opening this or another thread.

Ok, I'll re-open.

Remember what this thread is for.

Specifically it is NOT for the age old discussions on whether the GAA are evil, the eircom league could organize a piss up in a brewery or who is the best out of all the round ball sports organizations in the land!

Apologies to everyone for doing that.

:o:o

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

:cool:yeah

WOO HOO

\0/

Guan Yin for president

irishbird wrote: »
    Guan Yin for president

...of the world.

• Advertisement

Apologies also for getting involved in the ranting

Phew, my heart stopped for a minute there!

Thanks PSI and thanks Des!!

Apologies for my post in there too.

:)

So...... back to Dark Knight, i assume we're all going this weekend oui?! Next monday on this thread will be the Dark Knight chat day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

First boards goes down for 10 hours then Off Topic comes under threat. This would be the worst day ever if it wasn't for the re-opening of the Jigsaw thread.

Phew, my heart stopped for a minute there!

Thanks PSI and thanks Des!!

:)

So...... back to Dark Knight, i assume we're all going this weekend oui?! Next monday on this thread will be the Dark Knight chat day!

Saw it on Saturday :cool:

Xavi6 wrote: »
    This would be the worst day ever if it wasn't for the re-opening of the Jigsaw thread.

:eek::eek:

ffs, and here's me banned from AH.

Dammit.

• Advertisement

:eek::eek:

ffs, and here's me banned from AH.

Dammit.

It's well worth logging out for.

I saw Dark Knight in IMAX. It was cool, I'll give it that. I did feel a bit confused by what was going on alot. I also didn't care about many of the characters.

Incidently, my brother describes the lead actress as a sad cartoon turtle (although he robbed it from the interweb somewhere) :)

Who's the actress?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

GuanYin wrote: »
    I saw Dark Knight in IMAX. It was cool, I'll give it that. I did feel a bit confused by what was going on alot. I also didn't care about many of the characters.

Incidently, my brother describes the lead actress as a sad cartoon turtle (although he robbed it from the interweb somewhere) :)

i ****ing love her, leave it out....and tell your brother to leave it out too.

I'd marry her in the morning.

love her.

*des-maggie glyenhall or however you spell it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Thursday! Remember people, spoiler tags!
    I saw Dark Knight in IMAX.

Very nice. People are selling IMAX tickets on ebay and craigslist for upwards of $50 apparently.
    Who's the actress?

Maggie Gyllenhal. Replaced Katie Holmes.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Saw it on Saturday :cool:

You're excluded from our club so :cool::cool:

i ****ing love her, leave it out....and tell your brother to leave it out too.

I'd marry her in the morning.

love her.

*des-maggie glyenhall or however you spell it

Ah yes, she came up before on this thread, yahoo/google un-safe image search material!

Katie holmes pre-mans hair cut > maggie "with the weird brother" gyllenhall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Thread closed as it seems we're not using this for off topic chat anymore.

When the involved parties want to PM me to explain why this thread became a GAA vs. Soccer debate, please do and I'll consider opening this or another thread.
    I was just about to post before this and say that the thread was getting a topic. Then it was locked. :o

Thanks for reopening anyway. \o/

Screw u AIB!
    They wont give me a damn loan, damn u credit crunch!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Katie holmes pre-mans hair cut > maggie "with the weird brother" gyllenhall

f*ck no son. Holmes has the amazing superpower of always looking like a cardboard cut out even in real life. about as interesting as paint drying tbh.

Screw u AIB!

Boohoo you can't get a loan.

The credit crunch has done me OUT OF A JOB. :mad::mad:

Screw u AIB!

heh, you think that's bad? i can't use my account until i can get them to reverse €7 worth of charges that were slapped on for no apparent reason and caused it to be suspended. all over seven f*cking euro.

Boohoo you can't get a loan.

The credit crunch has done me OUT OF A JOB. :mad::mad:

Yes but we are talking about me here Des, ME!
    What do/did you work at by the way?
    You can have my job, have a lot of xbox to catch up on and could do with a few months of being a bum
    Think the fact that i was going to use most of the loan to spreadbet on stock
    prices was a lot of the reason they didnt want to give me the cash to be honest.
    Bastards

Screw u AIB!

Thats because Irish banks right now have no money to lend according to the financial pages. Try an English bank if you can (NOT Northern Rock).

The main problem at the moment with the lending market is that the English government can help out the banks financially (like they did with Northern Rock) as they are not part of the Eurozone. The Irish government cannot interfere at all so our banks are really feeling the current squeeze without getting any relief.

f*ck no son. Holmes has the amazing superpower of always looking like a cardboard cut out even in real life. about as interesting as paint drying tbh.

I hate Katie Holmes for making every guy think that that is how the ideal girl acted when I was growing up. The amount of pseudo-psycho-philisophical crap I had to listen to on dates thanks to that stupid show :mad:

On the other hand, she doesn't look like a sad cartoon turtle
    59874.jpg

59875.jpg

Thats because Irish banks right now have no money to lend according to the financial pages. Try an English bank if you can (NOT Northern Rock).

The main problem at the moment with the lending market is that the English government can help out the banks financially (like they did with Northern Rock) as they are not part of the Eurozone. The Irish government cannot interfere at all so our banks are really feeling the current squeeze without getting any relief.

Neil no offence but that is the biggest crock i ever heard :D
    Thats nothing at all to do why the Irish banks are feeling the squeeze.
    Thats another topic but Irish banks are a complete mirror of the UK banks and
    the English gov didnt "help" Northern Rock they privatised them before they
    went bust, thats a lot different to helping them :D

Irish banks can access ECB funding just like the UK banks can access it from the BOE.

I hate Katie Holmes for making every guy think that that is how the ideal girl acted when I was growing up. The amount of pseuo-psycho-philisophical crap I had to listen to on dates thanks to that stupid show :mad:

Katie holmes was hot then that damn midget married her and she is starting to
    look like a man, she will shave her damn head next :(

Careful now....this is getting dangerously ON - topic !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Down with that sort of thing.

Sherifu wrote: »
    Down with that sort of thing.

In before the inevitable

Careful now....this is getting dangerously ON - topic !

What the frik can we talk about so? :(

all this on topic off topic madness has me confussed.

WHICH IS IT GODAMMIT!!!

@PSI: i see what you mean about the sad turtle. i still would.

What the frik can we talk about so? :(

As per the thread tags :D

"euro weather conditions, football free zone, mature lady love, youtube music forum"

Take your pick

Ill take mature lady love for 100 please chris!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Can't frickin wait for Dark Knight. Gonna go see it with the old man. He deserves it as my ma wouldn't go to such a film, and he snuck me into Batman Returns when I was about 6.

Will probably go on Friday at noonish. Can't stand the cinema anymore when it's packed out.

Has anyone heard anything about Aaron Eckhart's performance as Harvey Dent. He is a damn good actor, and highly under-rated. Re-watched Rescue Dawn last night. Anybody that questions Bale as an actor needs to watch that film.

Neil no offence but that is the biggest crock i ever heard :D
    Thats nothing at all to do why the Irish banks are feeling the squeeze.
    Thats another topic but Irish banks are a complete mirror of the UK banks and
    the English gov didnt "help" Northern Rock they privatised them before they
    went bust, thats a lot different to helping them :D

Irish banks can access ECB funding just like the UK banks can access it from the BOE.

:rolleyes:

No its not.

Everyody is feeling the squeeze. I'm not talking about why Irish banks are feeling the squeeze, I'm talking about why they're not giving out loans easily anymore. Because there is so much uncertainty out there, they don;t have the funds and they know that they cannot be saved by the government if they get into trouble Therefore theyre extremely cautious right now. And theyre especially reluctant to give funds related to property as the property market right now offers no guarantee that the value of land won't keep falling and as such the banks risk losing large amounts of money if the loans default.

Listen, Im not getting into this too much with you after the GAA argument caused the thred to shut down but its well known that Irish banks at the moment do not have the necessary funds to hand out loans like they did in years gone by. All you have to do is read papers and listen to the radio for that to be known.

I suggest u read this article before calling what i say to you a crock. Link

Northern Rock was nationalised which basically saved the company and more importantly the customers of Northern Rock. The Eurozone prevents the Irish government from being able to do anything like this with Irish Banks (they cannot interfere at all) hence why Irish banks are reluctant to go to ECB for extra funds because they don't have that added security if they cannot repay.

Look all I was tryin to say was that Irish banks are not the best places to look for loans right now. Frankly nowhere is particularly good. I was simply giving you an alternative idea to look at UK banks for a loan. If u want to just shoot me down about it then fair enough, Im not bothered. Was only trying to give you an alternative idea. But hey, what do I know :rolleyes:

Anybody that questions Bale as an actor needs to watch that film.

**** that, the Machinist is Bale's finest moment. mightn't be the easiest watch, but in terms of stand alone performances from an actor definitly one of the best ever made. And he's unquestionably my favourite actor. but everyone has their bad days.

:rolleyes:

No its not. Believe it or not, an economics degree and

Everyody is feeling the squeeze. I'm not talking about why Irish banks are feeling the squeeze, I'm talking about why they're not giving out loans easily anymore. Because there is so much uncertainty out there, they don;t have the funds and they know that they cannot be saved by the government if they get into trouble Therefore theyre extremely cautious right now. And theyre especially reluctant to give funds related to property as the property market right now offers no guarantee that the value of land won't keep falling and as such the banks risk losing large amounts of money if the loans default.

Listen, Im not getting into this too much with you after the GAA argument caused the thred to shut down but its well known that Irish banks at the moment do not have the necessary funds to hand out loans like they did in years gone by. All you have to do is read papers and listen to the radio for that to be known.

I suggest u read this article before calling what i say to you a crock. Link

Northern Rock was nationalised which basically saved the company and more importantly the customers of Northern Rock. The Eurozone prevents the Irish government from being able to do anything like this with Irish Banks (they cannot interfere at all) hence why Irish banks are reluctant to go to ECB for extra funds because they don't have that added security if they cannot repay.

Look all I was tryin to say was that Irish banks are not the best places to look for loans right now. Frankly nowhere is particularly good. I was simply giving you an alternative idea to look at UK banks for a loan. If u want to just shoot me down about it then fair enough, Im not bothered. Was only trying to give you an alternative idea. But hey, what do I know :rolleyes:

No problem Neil, probably not the place to discuss this in fairness.
    But its definitely not a funding issue that banks are not lending all Irish
    banks are well capitalised despite what you hear.
    I too did econimics and work as a analyst in a stockbrokers so i know this first hand.

Anyway back on topic, maggie gyllenhall is a mutt.
    Thats all i have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

**** that, the Machinist is Bale's finest moment. mightn't be the easiest watch, but in terms of stand alone performances from an actor definitly one of the best ever made. And he's unquestionably my favourite actor. but everyone has their bad days.

Tis a great film alright, but there is something special about Rescue Dawn. By far my favourite film of '07.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement