Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread & Off Topic Thread II - Collectors Edition Bumper Pack

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Smegball wrote: »
    Many a times I've seen a band in a pretty drunken state and thought they were incredible :pac:
    Worst I've ever seen must be Amy Winehouse! Was uber poop

was that the opposite of the above you sober her in a drunken state?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Mr Alan wrote: »
    here is one of the songs off the upcoming release.

Its live, quality aint great, but its enough to see its a ****ing rasper of a song, and reason to be quite hopeful.

sounds like muck tbh. it's lacking the rough edge that made them so appealing in the first place, reminds me of a mix between them and U2. yeuch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

sounds like muck tbh. it's lacking the rough edge that made them so appealing in the first place, reminds me of a mix between them and U2. yeuch.

LOL may explain why i like it :D

i think it sounds great.

the "rough" edge, by their own admission, was them not being able to play their instruments properly and Caleb not being confident with his voice, hence mumbling or squelling.

Beacause The Times>Aha Shake heartbreak>Youth & Young Manhood imo.

ie. i think they are getting better with every album, adding to wat made them so appealling in the first place as opposed to losing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

was that the opposite of the above you sober her in a drunken state?

Pretty much :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

uhhh... you really think the new one was better than the other two? no way.

that should read: Aha Shake heartbreak>Youth & Young Manhood >Because the Times
    ie. i think they are getting better with every album, adding to wat made them so appealling in the first place as opposed to losing it.

judging by that song they haven't gotten any better. Caleb is over doing the singing, the guitarist sounds like someone who thinks himself a god because he can twiddle a few knobs, and the drummer is certainly no better. sounds like they've gotten cocky. what made them so good in the first place was their ability to get the most out of their limited ability, with Caleb in particular i find his shyness behind the mic worked more in his favour. he hasn't a fantastic voice, but it was the reserved understated quality to it that made their songs.

Smegball wrote: »
    Pretty much :pac:

Friend of mine saw her recently said she was surprised that she could stand let alone preform with how fubar she was. Supposidly she can be quite good tho.

Im going nuts atm, literally can not wait to move out of this place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I saw Amy Winehouse and she was fantastic. Was in a small venue in New York, but she has an amazing voice, so powerful.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I got emailed a series of pictures of Amy Winehouse, they ranged from a couple of years ago until present day. The physical change that she's gone through from a beautiful healthy young lady to the sad gaunt state she currently occupies was shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Anybody who says Winehouse is a disgrace to music and can't sing probably haven't heard her sing before. They're just rehashing stuff they've read in tabloids.

Here she is during her Grammy performance. Sassy, soulful, and sober-ish.Take a bow Amy.

dont think anyone is saying that Piggy, but she isnt always at her best. but what a voice

• Advertisement

dont think anyone is saying that Piggy, but she isnt always at her best. but what a voice
    My friend Jamie said it and a cousin of mine who's from Galway but now lives in Maynooth also said it. That post was for them Bounty Hunter. Philistines.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Best live performances i've been to are;
    Pearl Jam
    Red Hot Chili Peppers (back when they supported U2, before they lost their way)
    Amon Amarth (Massively loud adrenaline fueled metal in a very small pub, saw them in front of 50,000 people which was also amazing).
    Finntroll (Melodic Finnish metal with a bit of a jig-like celtic twist)
    Prodigy
    Aphex Twin
    Megadeth
    Rage Against The Machine
    REM i was also much more impressed by then i thought i'd be.

For me (no order):

TOOL
    Metallica
    Muse - best visuals you'll get
    Pearl Jam
    Chili Peppers - too many nobs go and see them these days though :(
    The Police
    Rage Against the Machine
    Kings of Leon
    Megadeth
    Velvet Revolver
    The Prodigy
    Tricky
    Aphex Twin

****DISCLAIMER - NOT FOR HATERS OF METAL!! ****

And i'm gonna give a band a mention here, not for the music but for one of the coolest fan interactions I've experienced........Slipknot (yes Slipknot - they were a support act!) ....... Their music is not most peoples cup of tea but the get down on the ground followed by "Jump the **** Up" bit in the middle of "Spit it Out" for crowd experience alone is worth goin to see. Actually its hard to describe. heres a vid, starts in the middle so no fast forward needed. The bit that i'm talking about kicks in at 4:10 wait for the bit where he says Jump!

I agree. their newest album is by far and away their best. The songs are more "epic" than "rocky" and its very mature.

I tend to stay away from a lot of music because i dont like stuff thats too basic and simple. Because of the Times is for me, excellent. Thats not to say the other two arent great. I mean I think "Milk" and "Trani" are 2 of their best songs.

that should read: Aha Shake heartbreak>Youth & Young Manhood >Because the Times

judging by that song they haven't gotten any better. Caleb is over doing the singing, the guitarist sounds like someone who thinks himself a god because he can twiddle a few knobs, and the drummer is certainly no better. sounds like they've gotten cocky. what made them so good in the first place was their ability to get the most out of their limited ability, with Caleb in particular i find his shyness behind the mic worked more in his favour. he hasn't a fantastic voice, but it was the reserved understated quality to it that made their songs.

I disagree. I think they're starting to come into their own in terms of knowing what they do that sounds good. Kalebs voice is polarizing, I think its deadly tbh. The bass player is very nice, everything he writes fits the songs so well without just plodding along with the guitar, a proper bassist.

Ive heard some new stuff and it sounds amazing tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

And i'm gonna give a band a mention here, not for the music but for one of the coolest fan interactions I've experienced........Slipknot (yes Slipknot - they were a support act!) ....... Their music is not most peoples cup of tea but the get down on the ground followed by "Jump the **** Up" bit in the middle of "Spit it Out" for crowd experience alone is worth goin to see. Actually its hard to describe. heres a vid, starts in the middle so no fast forward needed. The bit that i'm talking about kicks in at 4:10 wait for the bit where he says Jump!

Yep I agree there, I was in one of those. They are fantastic live.

Pighead wrote: »
    My friend Jamie said it and a cousin of mine who's from Galway but now lives in Maynooth also said it. That post was for them Bounty Hunter. Philistines.

Jesus dude that BGRH ban has hit u hard, you're letting yourself slip....you're meant to say "Pigheads friend Jamie...."....sort it out!!! :pac::pac::pac:

I agree with you about Winohouse, she can most definitely sing. her problem is she's a train wreck and a lot of people can't look past that because a lot of people are as much into image as they are music. I like some of here stuff, its not all my cupán téa but those who say she's rubbish and can't sing are talking nonsense tbh.

Yep I agree there, I was in one of those. They are fantastic live.

Me too man, twice! Nearly lost my runners!! Best craic ever though! They left the stage both times and we needed to rest, we were knackered!! Not just me, all my mates, an energetic show!!

Me too man, twice! Nearly lost my runners!! Best craic ever though! They left the stage both times and we needed to rest, we were knackered!! Not just me, all my mates, an energetic show!!

I had to do it while holding a drumstick I caught from the clown too :D

Fantastic though. That show really got me into them. Pity their set was short, they were support when I saw them too (can't remember who promoted that event so I'll say no more).

I had to do it while holding a drumstick I caught from the clown too :D

Fantastic though. That show really got me into them. Pity their set was short, they were support when I saw them too (can't remember who promoted that event so I'll say no more).

It was Aiken!!! :pac::p

Metallica FTW!

It was Aiken!!! :pac::p

Metallica FTW!

Ah yes so it was! Yeah that was a fantastic gig. I've seen Metallica 3 times, that was my favourite (probably because of the whole show, it's the only time they've had good support IMO). The 2006 set list was great though, playing all of Master of Puppets. Orion live :eek:

• Advertisement

Ah yes so it was! Yeah that was a fantastic gig. I've seen Metallica 3 times, that was my favourite (probably because of the whole show, it's the only time they've had good support IMO). The 2006 set list was great though, playing all of Master of Puppets. Orion live :eek:

Yea they were all Aiken but not anymore........

Yea man the second show was for me the time when they played best. Plus they played "Fade to Black" so I loved it BUT seeing Orion live was one of the best experiences of my life. It really was. One of the songs that really influenced how I play bass. Trujillo nailed the solo. What p1ssed me off at that was that they played the video, announced they were gonna do the whole album from start to finish, and yet after Puppets was played there were loads of idiots shouting "Whiskey"....:rolleyes:

I agree, the support the 2nd time was fantastic, but the 3rd was cool too because it was a festival buzz! Awesome.

Actually, I just realised my last post was a big load of bollocks.

Alice In Chains, how could I have forgotten?! They were fantastic. Pity their set-list was even shorter than Slipknot's. Also, when Korn pulled out and Avenged Sevenfold (who are shìt in my humble opinion) got bumped up the bill I was annoyed. I was pretty pissed off too that I missed Stone Sour, I had no idea they were playing in the tent.
    What p1ssed me off at that was that they played the video, announced they were gonna do the whole album from start to finish, and yet after Puppets was played there were loads of idiots shouting "Whiskey"....:rolleyes:

I remember that. I think it was when they played in 2003 people started booing when they said they weren't going to play it, I felt embarrassed to be in the crowd.

Actually, I just realised my last post was a big load of bollocks.

Alice In Chains, how could I have forgotten?! They were fantastic. Pity their set-list was even shorter than Slipknot's. Also, when Korn pulled out and Avenged Sevenfold (who are shìt in my humble opinion) got bumped up the bill I was annoyed. I was pretty pissed off too that I missed Stone Sour, I had no idea they were playing in the tent.

I remember that. I think it was when they played in 2003 people started booing when they said they weren't going to play it, I felt embarrassed to be in the crowd.

Alice in Chains was unreal. That guy sounds so like Layne Staley its unreal. I like Avenged Sevenfold myself! Stone Sour were frickin awesome, i went round to see them and wandered straight to the front! Great stuff! they played "get Inside" which made my night!

Yea i was the same. Shameful stuff. Whatever about the second time tryin to make them play it but EVERYONE knew they'd play it at the end the 3rd time and anyone worth their salt knew what the next songs would be (or frankly they shouldnt have been there) so that REALLY p1ssed me off.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

That Slipknot vid is manic Neil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Pighead wrote: »

Here voice is ok-ish, b is ofn difficul to har what she is singing as she mumbles alot.

[namedrop] My cousin is a producer over in England and produced a track on her last album. From what he told me about her, she sounds like a grade-A cunt.[/namedrop]

That Slipknot vid is manic Neil.

Tell me about it dude, one of the most intense things I've experienced!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i think the new one is light years ahead of the other two tbh.
    Caleb is over doing the singing.he hasn't a fantastic voice, but it was the reserved understated quality to it that made their songs

i disagree totally, i think he is an excellent singer, in both that he has a unique quality to his voice while at the same time having a quite excellent range.
    and the drummer is certainly no better.

after caleb, the drummer is the most improved since their first album, some of the drumming on the new album is quite excellent (mcfearless for example), and the radiohead drummer recently praised him for his great drumming, high praise indeed.

funny that you mentioned U2 sounding quality in their latest stuff, and Neil mentioned the epic scope of Because of the times.
    caleb has said that they learnt a lot from U2 while supporting them, and the songs for BOFTT were inspired by U2 and the vast stadiums they played.

great news for me, bad news for you ;)

*and on Amy Winehouse, anyone who can sing "what kind of ****ery is this" is alright with me. Very talented lady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Glad to see Slipknot getting the recognition they deserve. Would absolutely love to see them live. Some of their music is unbelievable and they're criminally underrated and dismissed. The fact is Corey Taylor is an amazing vocalist. Just listen to Vermillon Part II or some of his Stone Sour stuff.

Slipknot as a band are o.k-ish, but it would be their fans that turn me off them. Repressed passive aggressive fcukers.

*pulls up easy chair, grabs popcorn and points telescope at feedback*

*munch, munch, munch*

By the way, fair warning, like all other long threads in soccer, this one will be closed/restarted at a certain point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Slipknot as a band are o.k-ish, but it would be there fans that turn me off them. Repressed passive aggressive fcukers.

QFT. It's the **** that put me off too.
    GuanYin wrote: »
    By the way, fair warning, like all other long threads in soccer, this one will be closed/restarted at a certain point.

Give us til 10,000

*pulls up easy chair, grabs popcorn and points telescope at feedback*

*munch, munch, munch*

Ah no, i'm not saying it about anyone in here, but the lads back in secondary school who were into them, and the fans you see sh/ting on about them on t.v., give them a bad name and image, and do my nut in.

Ah no, i'm not saying it about anyone in here, but the lads back in secondary school who were into them, and the fans you see sh/ting on about them on t.v., give them a bad name and image, and do my nut in.

Is that english?? You've lost me!!!

I have a match now, I can't wait to read a certain admins take on a certain feedback thread.

Is that english?? You've lost me!!!

It mightn't be her Majesty's finest, but I think it makes sense. :confused:

EDIT: Sorry, I assumed that your original post was in response to my Slipknot comment.

Ok I'm really pissed. Stupid team. :(

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Glad to see Slipknot getting the recognition they deserve. Would absolutely love to see them live. Some of their music is unbelievable and they're criminally underrated and dismissed. The fact is Corey Taylor is an amazing vocalist. Just listen to Vermillon Part II or some of his Stone Sour stuff.

As a live unit they're absolutely unreal to be fair. They;ve a new album out soon with a tour so you'll catch them then.

Their latest album was unbelievable, a real mature outing for them.

I like their first album but I did think for the most part that "Iowa" was bloody awful, I don;t know why but I really didnt like that album.

Corey is an amazing vocalist and Joey is one of the best metal drummers going.

The 2 things that put people off them is the masks which gives them a certain image (again for people who arent ALL about the music - I could care less about image) and the little d1ckheads in their Slipknot hoodies walking around town!!

:(

10,000 posts? Then re--start! I love this thread, gets me through the work day with added banter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Sherifu wrote: »
    Batman tomorrow, at last........

will it be subtitled into English in Romania?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

pvt.joker wrote: »
    will it be subtitled into English in Romania?
    No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

hmmm thats a bit crap.

• Advertisement

Not at all my good man.

Not at all my good man.

Sounds a bit crap!! :P

Not at all my good man.
    Poţi tu speak român?

Cant watch that with sound Sherifu, what song are the Metallicats playing? And did u take that vid?!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

This post never had anything to do with an upcoming gig. Ever. Promise.

Y'all going to Marlay Park in Augustus?

Ssssssssssh, cant talk about that one.

Good to see someone on here, this thread is VERY quiet this morning!

I'm lurking. Actually having a busy morning and that's unprecedented :pac:

Nobody even stopped in to say good mornin!!

Im busy-ish, but not the kind of busy that forces me to close my minimised window!!

This really should be called the work dodgers thread except that boards.ie is in general a work dodger website! :pac:

• Advertisement

Reply # 6000

3999 to go before the lock :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement