Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread & Off Topic Thread II - Collectors Edition Bumper Pack

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

What about Ed Harcourt. Anyone like him? I reckon you would, Al. Check out his album, The Beautiful Lie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

all the Ryan negativity is driving me out of the thread :(
    Ryan Adams wrote:

Something's beating on the wall,
    on the other side-Strange lovers moan each others names,
    on by-hour sheets, for the very first time
    One of them's james,
    The other's some name she changes every time she lies across these beds

I'm outta here, not cause of the negativity though, but because, I'm going to see......

The_Dark_Knight_poster.jpg

monkey-i'll check out that bloke at a later date, noted it in my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Mr Alan wrote: »
    all the Ryan negativity is driving me out of the thread :(

I'm outta here, not cause of the negativity though, but because, I'm going to see......

The_Dark_Knight_poster.jpg

So next time people in the Man U, Arsenal, Villa threads start moaning about Al's 'trolling', all they have to do is slag off Ryan Adams.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Anyone got any love for Everlclear?

Feckin love this Mic Christopher tune, can't find it anywhere on youtube so here is a link to it on iLike (Don't worry, it's not Heyday).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

U dont know me? No way! Sorry I don't wanna be friends THAT much! Especially seeing as you go to starbucks.
    Where else would I go to get coffee?

Starbucks owns EVERYTHING.

And nope, I dunno you. In fact, I never noticed you before this thread (you obviously didn't start feedback threads asking for my head like Des and Xavi did ;) )
    Al will not like the last line of that!! :P their latest album is much better than the other 2 (cue 40 post argument last night!), but I really like the other 2 as well.
    I'm not here to please Al ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

jaysus Al that Ryan Adams fellah is tame. rhythmically, melodically, structurally, although they lyrics aren't bad now i'll give ya that. but his sound has a clear lack of originality.

speaking of originality, anyone here like battles? i'd say they are my favourite band to emerge in the past few years.

math rock. :D

GuanYin wrote: »
    Where else would I go to get coffee?

Starbucks owns EVERYTHING.

Cornershops and sole traders tbh. SUPPORT THE LITTLE GUY!
    GuanYin wrote:
    And nope, I dunno you. In fact, I never noticed you before this thread (you obviously didn't start feedback threads asking for my head like Des and Xavi did ;) )

Likewise...... although with the benefit of hindsight I'd imagine u probably did my access request! :P Before this thread I cant see any reason why our paths would cross (except for the odd warning - but u didnt give them to me:P)

Dont worry, the facebook thing was a joke, lighthearted messing as is 90% of the things I joke about particularly on this thread. i sense u didnt take it as a joke for some reason though ..... :eek:

And no I don't start threads in Feedback. I rarely even read that forum unless someone posts a link.
    GuanYin wrote:
    I'm not here to please Al ;)

That's just as well, Torres is the only one for Al anyway!

Cornershops and sole traders tbh. SUPPORT THE LITTLE GUY!

This is america, we stomp on the little guy!
    Likewise...... although with the benefit of hindsight I'd imagine u probably did my access request! :P Before this thread I cant see any reason why our paths would cross (except for the odd warning - but u didnt give them to me:P)
    I'm actually glad. Most people come to know me through a sense of rage an injustice ;)
    Dont worry, the facebook thing was a joke, lighthearted messing as is 90% of the things I joke about particularly on this thread. i sense u didnt take it as a joke for some reason though ..... :eek:
    I didn't think too much about it.
    That's just as well, Torres is the only one for Al anyway!
    He's better looking than most of the women he mentions.

This is america, we stomp on the little guy!

Non conformity is the way forward! There are some lovely cafés in New York. And Ive spent exactly 11 days of my life there in total! I was in 2 last November alone! Surely you should have no problem finding these places! Stand up to THE MAN!

GuanYin wrote:
    I'm actually glad. Most people come to know me through a sense of rage an injustice ;)

Come to think of it, I didnt know a lot of the posters before this thread! I've come to know you as the paranoid girl that likes bragging about all the goals she scores and is cynical about 95% of the women we ogle on this thread!

GuanYin wrote:
    I didn't think too much about it.

Good!
    GuanYin wrote:

:eek:..........................:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Like me, but your rage and unjust ways seem to have abated somewhat.

I, for one, miss them.

:D

• Advertisement

Non conformity is the way forward! There are some lovely cafés in New York. And Ive spent exactly 11 days of my life there in total! I was in 2 last November alone! Surely you should have no problem finding these places! Stand up to THE MAN!

I'm sure I'd have no problem but I live about 1000 miles from NYC.
    Come to think of it, I didnt know a lot of the posters before this thread! I've come to know you as the paranoid girl that likes bragging about all the goals she scores and is cynical about 95% of the women we ogle on this thread!
    I'm not paraoid, I'm just cautious. I don't want my beach holiday photos ending up on KYN threads.

We lost 4-0 last night so my scoring streak came to an abrupt halt. I shouldn't have gone back to that team :/
    Des wrote:
    Like me, but your rage and unjust ways seem to have abated somewhat.

I, for one, miss them.

I maintain that you have simply become less of a troll. I don't miss that.

:eek:

I resent the assertion that I

a. Was ever a troll

b. am still some kind of a troll, albeit less of one.

So we've gone through generic rock bands, metal and hip hop, in the interest of fairness (and because I have as eclectic a taste in music as u can find) I present one of maybe 5 dance bands I cant think of who are good, and these guys are by far the best, and add to that they're one of my favourite bands. I spent €35 on "Alive 2007" and it was worth every cent. They once played a free gig under the Eifell Tower:( There was a horrible rumour going around that they were done after their last tour, no true thank God!!

Daft Punk - it makes me sad:( that i haven't seen them live yet.

I'm sure I'd have no problem but I live about 1000 miles from NYC.
    Hmmmmm, your post about JFK airport earlier was a blind faced lie so! :eek: And there was me bein helpful suggesting Newark! :pac:
    GuanYin wrote:
    I'm not paraoid, I'm just cautious. I don't want my beach holiday photos ending up on KYN threads.
    Yes i know, hence the "joke". We had this chat before, or more by the looks of it, I was talkin to myself!! :P
    GuanYin wrote:
    We lost 4-0 last night so my scoring streak came to an abrupt halt. I shouldn't have gone back to that team :/

Hahaha it serves u right for braggin about it so much in here, and worse, encouraging Xavi to do the same by merely giving him the idea!

GuanYin wrote:

:D:D:D FIGHT!

Hmmmmm, your post about JFK airport earlier was a blind faced lie so! :eek: And there was me bein helpful suggesting Newark! :pac:

Lie? Well you would generally need to fly through JFK (or maybe Chicago) to get to me. But when one of those airports goes down, the other usually takes a hit.
    Des wrote:
    I resent the assertion that I

a. Was ever a troll

b. am still some kind of a troll, albeit less of one.
    Oh go start a feedback thread if it upsets you so much.

Ok I will, I'm going right n....

Wait....Beach Photo?

Feedback can wait tbh.

*stalks GYs fb*

Lie? Well you would generally need to fly through JFK (or maybe Chicago) to get to me. But when one of those airports goes down, the other usually takes a hit.

1000 miles? Connecting flight I'd hope! TREK.

GuanYin wrote:

Feedback threads havent been working out well for mods atm, careful what you wish for!

Feedback threads havent been working out well for mods atm, careful what you wish for!

:mad::mad:

Des wrote: »
    Ok I will, I'm going right n....

Wait....Beach Photo?

Feedback can wait tbh.

*stalks GYs fb*

Des just said I look like a fat nosed troll.

I'm going to call a plastic surgeon and plan an eating disorder.

IB.... your BF is a monster!

:(:(:(

• Advertisement

(and because I have as eclectic a taste in music as u can find)
    Daft Punk - it makes me sad:( that i haven't seen them live yet.

i actually did a double take on this. Daft punk, eclectic in the same sentence? i think not. here have listen to these:

meh... maybe still all a bit too mainstream. but i'm lazy.

i actually did a double take on this. Daft punk, eclectic in the same sentence? i think not

Have u looked at the other bands on this thread that i have talked about? doubt too many people would have thought I'd like any dance music if u read the other acts.

Dude eclectic is defined as : "Selecting; choosing (what is true or excellent in doctrines, opinions, etc.) from various sources or systems"

I listen to acts from various genres including:

Rock
    Acoustic
    Metal
    Prog
    Techno
    Hip Hop
    Folk
    Pop
    Reggae

etc.

I listen to acts from various genres including:

Rock
    Acoustic
    Metal
    Prog
    Techno
    Hip Hop
    Folk
    Pop

etc.

my point being i wouldn't class that as a necessarily eclectic palate. in fact i'd call it pretty mainstream.

p.s. acoustic isn't a genre. it's a classification of instruments. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Well hello everyone,Delija is back from another vacation,what i have missed in last 7 days?:D

That fella singing Big River Blues. Is he blind?

That fella singing Big River Blues. Is he blind?

yup. name's Doc Watson. he lost his vision as a baby apparently.

• Advertisement

yup. name's Doc Watson. he lost his vision as a baby apparently.

Thanks.

That's brilliant (not that he went blind as a kid, obv)

Thanks.

That's brilliant (not that he went blind as a kid, obv)

heh, glad someone likes it. if you like that country-blues stuff another guy to look up is Mississippi John Hurt.

not much of him on youtube, this is probably the best.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Just back from football - I wondering when my first "poor performance" was coming - just had it. Couldn't get it on target tonight if my life had depended on it. :(

I'll have to shake that off monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Seen him play twice and he's one of the best live acts I've ever seen. He also plays acoustic and electric guitars, piano and the toy piano live and tonnes of other sh*t. He does that radio thingie that Jonny Greenwood is famous for too. But this solo song is superb, he went through about 3 bows at this show in Tripod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

So I am playing up top today against a reasonably good defence and I managed to net three, one of which I was particularly happy with when the ball was played behind me but instead of trying to stop and control span and struck it into the top corner with what is usually my standing foot.

Anyway, half time comes and I had scored two of the three at that stage, come off to get some water that I have banged some ice cubes in (hottest day of the year over here) and who is on the sideline but Ian fncking Holloway, he is up there doing his Uefa A badge and was watching a bit of footy at lilleshall between course bits. He gave us a bit of a half time team talk, never a sounder manager have I met, not a billy bighead (his words not mine) was happy to chat and said he would meet us in the pub after the game if we were there, came down and the lad had some good words for anybody who was there, he was obviously paying attention coz he could remmember things that people had done throughout the game. He sat with us for a good ten minutes had a beverage and talked to us about how he was getting on and whatnot, his phone rinign left right and centre and he ignoring it. told him my dad was a huge QPR fan and he was so pleased posed with me for a photo for the auld lad, and signed a beer mat with a message taking the piss out of the new QPR setup for him.

Anyway, of all the badge chasing manager types I have met up there (solskjaer, keane, giggs (he was a proper nice lad), neville (all the Man u lads were here last year), southgate, pearce) I would have to say that Holloway was the soundest and he really did seem like a lad who was just enjoying the fact that he was involved in the footy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Daft Punk are without a doubt one of my favourites, never tire listening to the Discovery or Homework albums, classic songs like One More Time, Aerodynamic, Da Funk, Around The World, I could go on!
    Led Zeppelin would be my favourite though, honourable mentions to Maiden, Metallica, Justice, Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Muse and Boys Noize :)

my point being i wouldn't class that as a necessarily eclectic palate. in fact i'd call it pretty mainstream.

Hmmmm okay I'll put it to you a different way.

I very much doubt the kind of people Ive hung out with at gigs like Mudvayne/Opeth/Killswitch Engage/Sepultura/Slayer would listen to any of the following acts who i have seen live:

- Chemical Brothers
    - Stereophonics
    - Kings of Leon
    - Christy Moore
    - Sugababes (yes - you read that right - I GUARANTEE the girls at that gig dont listen to Slayer)
    - Tommy Emmanuel
    - Joe Satriani
    - Beck
    - Green Velvet
    - The Prodigy

Trust me, I've got funny looks off people at loads of different gigs because i look like I'm at the wrong gig.

I could go on. If u think its "mainstream" to listen to bands from 9 or 10 completely different genres then I think you are misunderstanding the meaning of the word "eclectic". You can listen to the most commercially well known/mainstream bands from 20 genres and your taste in music would still be defined as eclectic.

And yes i know acoustic isnt a genre in itself but Im talking about people like Jeff Buckley/John Mayer etc who write songs predominantly based on acoustic guitar and vocals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Thats a bit condescending imo...

Also, if you compare, something off the wall like old school Django Reinhardt probably has more in common with something like Megadeth, then Megadeth would with Daft Punk. They're all different, someone who likes bits from all of them could be considered to have an eclectic taste. Maybe you're more eclectic, and if so, well done. Doesn't make someone else not eclectic.

On an entirely seperate note, an album Absolutely Everyone Should Own; Temple Of The Dog (self titled).
    Just a fantastic album by fantastic musicians who got together to create something in memory of a friend, Andrew Wood of Mother Love Bone. The lads from Pearl Jam, together with Chris Cornell, doesn't really get any better then that! Came about just before Pearl Jam started up, and before Soundgarden were famous and really just shows off what a fantastic time for music the early 90's were. The whole album is just fantastic, but here's a few tracks to give a listen to;

Say Hello 2 Heaven Just an awesome song

Hunger Strike one of my favs of all time, both Vedder and Cornell on the same song. Still get chills when Vedder comes in.

Times of Trouble

Four Walled World

Daft Punk are at their best on minimal tracks like Rollin & Scratchin and Rock & Roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Just back from The Dark Knight. It's er...rather good :D

Just back from The Dark Knight. It's er...rather good :D

Did you see it in the Gate?

Temple of the Dog made a great album rebel. really really great stuff.

Hunger Strike is one of my favourite songs ever.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Thats a bit condescending imo...

apologies if it is.
    Also, if you compare, something off the wall like old school Django Reinhardt probably has more in common with something like Megadeth, then Megadeth would with Daft Punk. They're all different, someone who likes bits from all of them could be considered to have an eclectic taste. Maybe you're more eclectic, and if so, well done. Doesn't make someone else not eclectic.

perhaps i've explained myself badly. what i'm trying to get at is that most of the people i know would have a musical palate that broad. i wouldn't call it eclectic because my experiences are that those kind of preferences are pretty par for the course.

you all must have very narrow minded peer groups then :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

apologies if it is.

perhaps i've explained myself badly. what i'm trying to get at is that most of the people i know would have a musical palate that broad. i wouldn't call it eclectic because my experiences are that those kind of preferences are pretty par for the course.

you all must have very narrow minded peer groups then :P

Ah, but i would say that most people have an eclectic taste.

Everyone
    > MUSIC FORUMS

• Advertisement

Ah, but i would say that most people have an eclectic taste.

i would set most people as the mean upon which to make inferences :P
    Everyone
    > MUSIC FORUMS

stfu you! that's far too on topic for my liking :mad:

stfu you! that's far too on topic for my liking :mad:

Dont be picky,you need to talk on every topic:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Kold wrote: »
    Did you see it in the Gate?

Nope, Mahon. Queues out to the escalators....never seen anything like it. Applause at the end as well.

Everyone
    > MUSIC FORUMS

Off topic delija!

I did something wrong?:D

Just kidding guys;)

Nope, Mahon. Queues out to the escalators....never seen anything like it. Applause at the end as well.

Never going there again since ticket+popcorn+drink cost me €20.

Sad thing is thats only about €2 more than Ill pay tomorrow. :mad:

Sad thing is thats only about €2 more than Ill pay tomorrow. :mad:

Ah tbh, this is probably the only time I'll go to the cinema all year. F*ck their prices, illegal downloading ftw. They've only themselves to blame too.

Ah tbh, this is probably the only time I'll go to the cinema all year. F*ck their prices, illegal downloading ftw. They've only themselves to blame too.

I used to go to the cinema at least once, usually twice a week. I used to have seen every new release in the dvd shop. Now i go about once every 3 or 4 months (since I dont like goin to the cinema as a date so i get to go even less)

All to do with the prices, that and people seem to get more ignorant as time goes on in terms of ruining your enjoyment with their yackin :mad:

Last time I was in the cinema was mid June in Belfast, was thunderin rain so we went to see the Hulk to pass the time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

For 20 quid you could buy enough popcorn seeds to fill the cinema.

I wouldn't put that coloured flat liquid they pass off as pop anywhere near my system.

I know they have overheads and everthing, but they seriously have to up the quality of the experience.

I stopped going years ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement