Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread & Off Topic Thread II - Collectors Edition Bumper Pack

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Had a game today and one of their players broke his leg. His own fault really, went in stupidly on our keeper and came off second best. Anyway, the game was held up for a good half hour while the ambulance came. He was eventually moved off the pitch and just as he was being put in the back.......the ref went over and booked him!!!! Unbelievable stuff. "I know you're in agony after just breaking your leg but here's a yellow card for your troubles." Couldn't believe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Had a game today and one of their players broke his leg. His own fault really, went in stupidly on our keeper and came off second best. Anyway, the game was held up for a good half hour while the ambulance came. He was eventually moved off the pitch and just as he was being put in the back.......the ref went over and booked him!!!! Unbelievable stuff. "I know you're in agony after just breaking your leg but here's a yellow card for your troubles." Couldn't believe it.

Refs can be plonkers alright. Remember that time one of them dropped their yellow card, and Gazza picked it up, and pretended to book the ref. Everyone LOL'd, but not the ref. He ended up booking Gazza for it the heartless fool.

:rolleyes:

Just back fro TDK. Smashing film, although a bit rushed in places. LOL when I saw
    Curtis Alexander from Dream Team in it. He's moved up in the world.

Saw it last night. its amazing. better than I was expecting. Ledger is feckin unreal. Its also very funny, some very clever humour put into it.

i think Ill go and see it again in 2-3 weeks time while its still on the big screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Is that english ?

Did you understand it? :p

Don't go see the new X-files movie :( It sucks.

Ohhh that happens here too. Once at a competitive match, a guy was hurt bad and they took him away with a fuull medical team, noone was even sure what was wrong and the stadium announcer played the mocking jingle for when someone is cautioned and the animation on the big screen. Was very inappropriate at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Going to see Batman tomorrow, cant fecking wait. Its been a tough weekend trying to avoid people talking about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

GuanYin wrote: »
    Ohhh that happens here too. Once at a competitive match, a guy was hurt bad and they took him away with a fuull medical team, noone was even sure what was wrong and the stadium announcer played the mocking jingle for when someone is cautioned and the animation on the big screen. Was very inappropriate at the time.

if they injure themselves making a foul surely they deserve even more mocking? just goes to show they excessive force they went in with that on another day could easily injure the fouled player instead.

i've no sympathy in that situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

if they injure themselves making a foul surely they deserve even more mocking? just goes to show they excessive force they went in with that on another day could easily injure the fouled player instead.

To be fair, its very possible to injure yourself going in for a challenge without having excessive force. Sure how many players injure themselves just running with noone around them. Or someone who goes in with a bit of a late shoulder and twists their ankle badly or gets their boot caught and twists their knee, would be no serious force there, just misfortune almost coincidentally happening with a challenge. Each case needs to be looked at on its merits.

My brother did the above knee twisting thing and tore his ligaments. It was a fair challenge, but could just as easily have been late, end result would have been the same, him in hospital.

On another note, X-files sucks? :( Had hoped they might go back to the style of the good old one off weirdness episodes from the first few series.

I didn't see what happened exactly and the fouled player didn't think he was fouled, he thought it was just a clash. Either way, I think mocking someone who can't walk away from an incident is OTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    My brother did the above knee twisting thing and tore his ligaments. It was a fair challenge, but could just as easily have been late, end result would have been the same, him in hospital.

i've done similar. more cartilage than ligaments, but still put an end to my fledgling football career.

the point I'm trying to make is that I've yet to see a tackle where a major injury has arisen without at least one of the players doing something careless/stupid/reckless/insane. regardless of intention, if you get injured making a challenge you shouldn't have made the challenge; the art of tackling is that friggin simple. a foul is a foul and should be discouraged either way. harsh but fair imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I wrote a haiku.

The Dark Knight is awe-
    some.Go see it.I'm going
    again.Oh hell yes.

Des wrote: »
    I wrote a haiku.

The Dark Knight is awe-
    some.Go see it.I'm going
    again.Oh hell yes.

Des that was crap
    Go home, practice and improve
    Then try again.

ah just messing, wanted to respond in kind.
    though i think strictly haiku's are supposed to reference a season.

The Dark Knight rules
    Chills, as from a winter wind,
    My spine tingled.

But yeah, the dark knight was savage! will definately be seeing it again before it leaves cinema. i watched it with 2 chicks which sucked for trying to have a conversation about it afterwards (disclaimer; im aware plenty of women are great for discussing movies, but these 2 weren't).

At my viewing though, the whole Heath Ledger dying thing made it a bit annoying at times, a large section of the crowd were almost Ooooing and Aahing everytime he was on screen no matter what he did. His performance deserved it but i just got the feeling a lot of the people were ready to do it anyway. For the movie itself, i dont think i have anything negative to say about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

as brilliant as rum is i find they give the worst hangovers out of all drinks.

You know when you go to a party and you drink too much, dance, act like a dork but think you get away with it? Then 3 weeks later a new set of photos gets circulated and you realize that you were a bigger dork than you thought? That is where I am right now.

Can we see the pics?

Can we see the pics?

The photos will never be seen by human eyes again.

The photos will never be seen by human eyes again.

If i hear of a spate of murders in the US with only that party in common, i'll know who it is anyway!

How bad were they? Same kind of thing everyone does once in a while, or worse? I had the same experience from the day we won the league when I was in 2nd year in college, except it was a video camera. As embarrassing as it was the next day, we all got brought to play a friendly against DCU and to see an Ireland friendly a few weeks later, when it got brought out and repeated again ad infinitum. nightmare.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    If i hear of a spate of murders in the US with only that party in common, i'll know who it is anyway!

How bad were they?

Pretty bad, I'm not quite sure what I was trying to achieve with some of my posing and when I drink I tend to pose.....ALOT!

I'm sure they'll appear on a social networking site before too long :pac:

• Advertisement

I'm sure they'll appear on a social networking site before too long :pac:
    Thankfully the person who has the photos is a tee-totalling young christian girl who is already feeling guilty that she has photographed me while drunk :)

Pfft give me her email address and I'll convert her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Jazzy wrote: »
    as brilliant as rum is i find they give the worst hangovers out of all drinks.

I never get hangovers, I am one of those lucky fcukers. Anyway, I was at a 21st about a year or so ago,and they had an open bar at the house. I got there a little late, and all they had left was tons of wine and alco-pops.

Now I can't really stand either of them, so I decided to combine them as a few others seemed to be doing. For the rest ofthe night I was drinking pints of white wine and smirnoff Ice. The next day my head was in absolute tatters it is a lethal combo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Syke

I didn't get hangovers til I turned 30, they're still not too bad now, but I notice them :(

Right lads apparently this is Ireland's cream of the crop -

http://www.missirelandpageant.ie/index.php?p=1_10_THE-FINAL

So what do we think? I'm a big fan of Miss Dublin North. An ex of mine is in there too but I'm not saying which one it is!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Miss Armagh for me thanks.

• Advertisement

Right lads apparently this is Ireland's cream of the crop -

http://www.missirelandpageant.ie/index.php?p=1_10_THE-FINAL

So what do we think? I'm a big fan of Miss Dublin North. An ex of mine is in there too but I'm not saying which one it is!

I find it hard to believe that is the best Ireland has to offer.

Some of those girls wouldn't turn any heads without their make up artists.

That said, the photography is shockingly bad for many of those photos, Miss Offaly looks like a startled deer!!!

(btw, any attempts to turn this thread into a photo shoot will be met with extreme contempt, Dub13 can hook you up with the slydice forum).

I find it hard to believe that is the best Ireland has to offer.

It isn't.

IB isn't there.

:)

It isn't.

IB isn't there.

facepalm1.jpg

Pass me the bucket.

So the little mess from last week's cleared itself up has it?

:pac:

It was never true anyway.

Is it Miss Dublin West Xavi?

It isn't.

IB isn't there.

I wonder how many of them use boards.ie

• Advertisement

:pac:

It was never true anyway.

Is it Miss Dublin West Xavi?

I know it wasn't true. I never got the joke though.

And "No comment" btw!

IB can do better than Des anyway.
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    Me? :D

:mad:

Did anyone fall for that?

I think 4 of those girls would look good first thing in the morning.

I hate girls like that :/

:mad:

Oh, after what you said about me, YOU get to be mad?

I don't think so.

You made them things up though.

You made them things up though.

Emmm, no I didn't, I have the entire conversation and your tagline as evidence!

My tagline?

You know Boards doesn't revolve around you?

Are you specifically mentioned in it?

Paranoid much?

:p

My tagline?

You know Boards doesn't revolve around you?

Are you specifically mentioned in it?

Paranoid much?

:p

No, but I have this MSN transcript where you mention it in relation to me while calling me several names and making comments on my appearance.

No, but I have this MSN transcript where you mention it in relation to me while calling me several names and making comments on my appearance.

:eek:

They were NICE comments.

Mornin lads, good weekends had by all?!

• Advertisement

Mornin lads, good weekends had by all?!

Yes.

It was the best weekend ever.

I saw TDK on Friday.

:eek:

They were NICE comments.

You said I was shaped like a troll and I had a fat nose!

You're right of course, but you didn't have to say it to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

It isn't.

IB isn't there.

You are a loser.
    Second hottest.

Why thank you :D
    You said I was shaped like a troll and I had a fat nose!

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

told ya you wouldnt be disappointed with the dark knight betty :)

morning everybody o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Morning all.

I see the crap weather has caught up with us. Ah well, had a good enough run while it lasted.

So we can talk about The Dark Knight now? Sweet :cool:

Here Al, go back to one of my posts there and give us your opinion. You'll know which post I'm on about when you see it. You too Neil.

I see the crap weather has caught up with us. Ah well, had a good enough run while it lasted.
    I got burnt yesterday.
    So we can talk about The Dark Knight now? Sweet :cool:

Some people still haven't seen it.

We've moved on to X-files, it sucks, go see Wall-e instead :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I got burnt yesterday.
    So did I! Couldn't believe it. Today is bad though, down here at least.

Some people still haven't seen it.

Bah, they should have. Maybe we should start talking about another movie.

Who's looking forward to Hellboy 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

why does the X-Files suck? looking forward to it :(

not sure wat my IT department would think about me looking at the miss ireland site Xavi:D

• Advertisement

Yes.

It was the best weekend ever.

I saw TDK on Friday.

Watched Batman begins on Friday

TDK on Saturday (hence best weekend ever - I agree!)

Children of Men on Sunday.

Had no beer at all, I feel like a new man..........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement