Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread & Off Topic Thread II - Collectors Edition Bumper Pack

Comments

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Yep saw it about 6 weeks ago. A real lads movie. Definitely go see it.

Balls, was plannin on bringin a girl to see it...... is it pure laddish action or would I get away with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Black Thought is a genius, simple as!! I hate rap music, but when you can find intelligent hip hop (The Roots, Common, Mos ef, Jurassic 5 to name a few) where the artists have something intelligent to say then you're onto a winner. I do really like Eminem though! But he's a lyrical genius when he wants to be.

Go for the Police, I've been on a police buzz myself lately! Playing along to Stings music always makes me :)

Agreed man, I don't count modern rap and hip hop as the real stuff, it's transcended into absolute ***** cock waving contests, and it makes the genre look unintelligent and stupid, which isn't true at all.

I grew up on The Police, The Eagles, etc. So I'll always have a soft spot for them. Plus, Stewie Copeland is the man.
    Des wrote: »
    Ever listen to Handsome Boy Modeling School?

Their album "White People" is brilliant.

Does that song 'A Day in The Life' have the frontman from The Mars Volta/ At The Drive in singing? Cedric something-or-other.

Edit- Jack Johnson is on the second song... Am I being tricked here... hahahaa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Balls, was plannin on bringin a girl to see it...... is it pure laddish action or would I get away with it?

Ah no you'd get away with it. My missus loved it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

eZe^ wrote: »
    Does that song 'A Day in The Life' have the frontman from The Mars Volta/ At The Drive in singing? Cedric something-or-other.
    Yes
    Edit- Jack Johnson is on the second song... Am I being tricked here... hahahaa

That "Breakdown" song is one of my favourite songs ever, by any group/band.

Get that album, it's absolutely brilliant. Some real gems of songs on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Well here's the direct link

EDIT: Just on the topic of cock waving rappers. I do actually think there is a place for it, hell, some of the greatest rap songs have been cock waving anthems, i.e.

It is more the 'ringtone rappers' that peeve me off, the songs like Lollipop that you know have been written for the Wigga audience, and to sell ringtones. But being cocky and bragging, definitively has a place in hip hop. It just has to be done right.

• Advertisement

Agreed man, I don't count modern rap and hip hop as the real stuff, it's transcended into absolute ***** cock waving contests, and it makes the genre look unintelligent and stupid, which isn't true at all.

I grew up on The Police, The Eagles, etc. So I'll always have a soft spot for them. Plus, Stewie Copeland is the man.

+1

I play bass but I can drum a bit (I own a practice pad and a djembe drum) and Stewart Copeland is one of my favourites. His use of the hi-hat was so good. I saw the Police live and I'd advise ya to go on youtube and check out "Wrapped Around Your Finger" live...amazing.

Does that song 'A Day in The Life' have the frontman from The Mars Volta/ At The Drive in singing? Cedric something-or-other.[/QUOTE]

Now the album "Deloused in Commatorium" by Mars Volta is a must own for any musician.

I've been trying to delve into playin acoustic guitar recently, people always assume that beciase I'm pretty good on the bass that i can play guitar but I can't really, they are very much 2 instruments. I'm able to bang out chords no problemo as long as there aren't any accents on the chords but once there are Im crap.

I went on youtibe trying to figure out a John Mayer song, and the crowd at his gig were all screaming chicks.....is that bad? Am i delving into Mr Alan territory there?!! :pac:

I'm liking what I've heard so far, I think I'll go 'acquire' these, blogsearch it is! Are they just producers using different singers to write songs and adding in hip hop elements?

I'm liking what I've heard so far, I think I'll go 'acquire' these, blogsearch it is! Are they just producers using different singers to write songs and adding in hip hop elements?

Wiki

Des wrote: »

1 Intro (feat. Father Guido Sarducci) 1:08
    2 If It Wasn’t for You (feat. De La Soul & Starchild Excalibur) 4:37
    3 Are You Down With It (feat. Mike Patton) 3:34
    4 The World’s Gone Mad (feat. Del tha Funkee Homosapien, Barrington Levy & Alex Kapranos) 5:24
    5 Dating Game (feat. Tim Meadows, Hines Buchanan & Neelam) 3:08

6 Breakdown (feat. Jack Johnson) 4:09
    7 It’s Like That (feat. Casual) / I Am Complete (feat. Tim Meadows) 4:50
    8 I’ve Been Thinking (feat. Cat Power) 5:24
    9 Rock and Roll (Could Never Hip Hop Like This) Part 2 (feat. Lord Finesse, Mike Shinoda, Chester Bennington, Rahzel, DJ Q-Bert, Grand Wizard Theodore & Jazzy Jay) / Knockers (feat. Tim Meadows) 7:16
    10 The Hours 4:28
    11 Class System (feat. Pharrell Williams & Julee Cruise) 4:30
    12 First… And Then (feat. Dres) 4:19
    13 A Day in the Life (feat. RZA, The Mars Volta & A.G.) / Good Hygiene (feat. Tim Meadows) 5:36
    14 Greatest Mistake (feat. John Oates & Jamie Cullum) 4:19
    15 Dating Game, Part 2 (feat. Tim Meadows, Hines Buchanan & Neelam) 0:36
    16 Outro (feat. Father Guido Sarducci) 5:26

That's quite the list of collaborations! I heard one of their songs last week on entourage, and entourage never has bad music.. I'll have all these lovely songs in 3 minutes. Gotta love Rapidshare... :pac:

I've Been Thinking is a lovely song too.

• Advertisement

That's quite the list of collaborations! I heard one of their songs last week on entourage, and entourage never has bad music.

+1. I really hope that when the series wraps up, the release a best of soundtrack.

Well here's the direct link

EDIT: Just on the topic of cock waving rappers. I do actually think there is a place for it, hell, some of the greatest rap songs have been cock waving anthems, i.e.
    It is more the 'ringtone rappers' that peeve me off, the songs like Lollipop that you know have been written for the Wigga audience, and to sell ringtones. But being cocky and bragging, definitively has a place in hip hop. It just has to be done right.

Well, there's a big difference when comparing B.I.G to the likes of Lil Wayne and T.I... BIG was talented to the max, I remember watching him destroy Tupac in a random freestyle on youtube once. Juicy is one of the best rap songs ever, but I think there is a big difference between that 'gangster rap' and the one you hear nowadays, there is too much name dropping and general bullsh*t, aswell as the most overproduced beats ever. Juicy is the epitome of raw, it sounds like the beat is playing from some guys walkman headphones turned up real loud, and biggie is just flowing over it. Although these days I don't really mind The Game if I'm in the mood for him, and he is the ultimate name dropper.

+1

I play bass but I can drum a bit (I own a practice pad and a djembe drum) and Stewart Copeland is one of my favourites. His use of the hi-hat was so good. I saw the Police live and I'd advise ya to go on youtube and check out "Wrapped Around Your Finger" live...amazing.

Now the album "Deloused in Commatorium" by Mars Volta is a must own for any musician.

I've been trying to delve into playin acoustic guitar recently, people always assume that beciase I'm pretty good on the bass that i can play guitar but I can't really, they are very much 2 instruments. I'm able to bang out chords no problemo as long as there aren't any accents on the chords but once there are Im crap./QUOTE]

Stewart and Bonham are my favourite drummers from that era. These days it'd be Danny Carey (tool)/ Carter Beauford (dave matthews band)

Recently I've been playing lots more post-rock, it's not the hardest to play on the drums, but difficulty doesn't necessarily mean anything in music, it just has to fit in with the rest of the song. It's one of my favourite genre's of music, but most people have no patience with it because there is generally no vocalist. So the instruments do all the 'talking', it really can be epic. The song I've been playing with my friend lately is 'Your Hand In Mine' by Explosions in the sky.

If you have patience you should check it out;

It always mellows me out.

Well, there's a big difference when comparing B.I.G to the likes of Lil Wayne and T.I... BIG was talented to the max, I remember watching him destroy Tupac in a random freestyle on youtube once. Juicy is one of the best rap songs ever, but I think there is a big difference between that 'gangster rap' and the one you hear nowadays, there is too much name dropping and general bullsh*t, aswell as the most overproduced beats ever. Juicy is the epitome of raw, it sounds like the beat is playing from some guys walkman headphones turned up real loud, and biggie is just flowing over it. Although these days I don't really mind The Game if I'm in the mood for him, and he is the ultimate name dropper.

True. But dig deep, and you will find decent T.I. Lil Wayne, and Game tracks. they just don't get released because they aren't 'commercially viable'.But this is much more to do with the system and record companies in place, rather than the musicians themselves.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ah no you'd get away with it. My missus loved it

Thats that sorted then!

Stewart and Bonham are my favourite drummers from that era. These days it'd be Danny Carey (tool)/ Carter Beauford (dave matthews band)

Tool are one of my all time favourite bands but theyre definitely a band that a lot of people who dont play an instrument just wouldnt have the patience for. Theyre stuff is so layered it takes a good chunk of time to get deep into it. Same with dream theater though I wouldnt be as big of a fan.
    eZe^ wrote:
    Recently I've been playing lots more post-rock, it's not the hardest to play on the drums, but difficulty doesn't necessarily mean anything in music, it just has to fit in with the rest of the song. It's one of my favourite genre's of music, but most people have no patience with it because there is generally no vocalist. So the instruments do all the 'talking', it really can be epic. The song I've been playing with my friend lately is 'Your Hand In Mine' by Explosions in the sky.

If you have patience you should check it out;

It always mellows me out.

What kind of bands would you be talking about there beside the one ya posted?

I'll check that out later and let ya know what i think. But check out that live Police tune, Copeland owns!!

Here it is for ya:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

im bleedin' huge now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

who was talking about John Mayer over the weekend in here?

i vaguely remember reading that......

anyway, John Mayer is Pants with a capital "P".

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Feckin hell these Monday mornings come thick and fast once Friday night hits...

Morning

Was dying of a hangover there yesterday so didn't hear any of the football results till this morning. How the fuck did Hull beat Arsenal away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Hull beat Arsenal away?

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Morning

Was dying of a hangover there yesterday so didn't hear any of the football results till this morning. How the fuck did Hull beat Arsenal away?

Yellow card offence, speaky of the football in OT thread :pac: :p

Mornin' y'all!!!! Feelin' very chipper this fine Monday mornin'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I've stopped drinking so much over the last few months, some weekends i dont drink at all.....**** life without hangovers and proper monday morning blues is great.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I've stopped drinking so much over the last few months, some weekends i dont drink at all.....**** life without hangovers and proper monday morning blues is great.

I hear ya, I actually do work before 12 o clock and I'm back down to 32 inch waste.... ladies love me even more now

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Yellow card offence, speaky of the football in OT thread :pac: :p
    :p

I actually was shocked reading it in the Metro this morning. Wenger had been quoted to say that he felt physically sick after it.

Breaks my ****ing heart :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

:p

I actually was shocked reading it in the Metro this morning.

Heh, you probably thought ya was still pished :D

Trilla wrote: »
    I hear ya, I actually do work before 12 o clock and I'm back down to 32 inch waste.... ladies love me even more now

Same.

Jeez lads we're gettin old..... :(

I'll have no choice but to lay off the booze. Seriously finding myself short of cash of late and am trying to save. Thinking about heading back to college too.

Even though nothing has actually changed for me as soon as someone mentions the word "recession" I find I'm broker than ever.

who was talking about John Mayer over the weekend in here?

i vaguely remember reading that......

anyway, John Mayer is Pants with a capital "P".

That would be me, but Im allowed away with that cos of your quirky fetishes and your constant posting of that pic of Torres! :P

Good weekend lads?

Im hangin today, was at the match last night and the boozer after. Gonna take a couple of weeks off to get in shape so i can play a team sport again! :)

That would be me, but Im allowed away with that cos of your quirky fetishes and your constant posting of that pic of Torres! :P

Good weekend lads?

Im hangin today, was at the match last night and the boozer after. Gonna take a couple of weeks off to get in shape so i can play a team sport again! :)

Story Neil
    I was out on the piss the whole day after the Pool game on Saturday and before going out that night me n two other lads drank a bottle of Captain Morgan between us. We were legless!

• Advertisement

Story Neil
    I was out on the piss the whole day after the Pool game on Saturday and before going out that night me n two other lads drank a bottle of Captain Morgan between us. We were legless!

Nothing like a night out with the good Captain!

CaptainMorgan2.jpg

Nothing like a night out with the good Captain!

CaptainMorgan2.jpg

*pukes* :o

Gives you some kick alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Any xbox live heads in here?

also captain is teh awesome!

ITT-Pat wrote: »
    Any xbox live heads in here?

PS3 man myself! Which is a half truth as I dont play very often.

+1. I would say that I have pumped about €1100 into it including the system and games, and I rarely touch it these days. Still have a copy of Drakes unopened.

If my younger self could see me now, he would be going apesh/t, as I used to live of my master system/mega-drive/Saturn/ps1/ps2.

• Advertisement

dont play very often???? loser imo

that was some class prize on today fm

xbox and 5 games
    then if your the best of the week 42 inch plasma and new games when they come out posted to you... not bad for singin down the phone to Iano

Does anyone know how to change the Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) setting of a router? Its an Eircom router if that makes a differnece

I've got more important things to be doing with my time like posting on boards!! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

The world is doomed. Doomed I tell you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

can we bring this a bit closer to off topic please :)

yeah I agree with T4TF. I also think we need more random funny vids in here

Invisible T-shirt FTW!

Does anyone know how to change the Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) setting of a router? Its an Eircom router if that makes a differnece
    Why do you want to?

I'll find out for you.

I work for eircom. Don't tell everyone.

couldnt connect to xbox live today and when i tested the connection it said i was failing due to my MTU, possibly because it wasnt high enough but apparently xbox live is down for 24 hours due to maintenance

MTU should be under 1500 - normally 1492 and should be under the WAN setup (possible in advanced section or some such).

I doubt it's changed - the default setting is normally 1492.

Morning lads, only 4 days till the weekend! :pac: Sh1te weather this mornin too....Goin back to trainin (Jiu-Jitsu) this week, one of my mates has a fight so gotta help him train even though I'm disgustingly out of shape fot that kind of thing!

Not all bad though, booking the itch tonight for the year so I've now got regular Thursday night soccer (7 a side I think) so I can come on here on Friday mornings bragging about the goals I scored!! (like Xavi and GY! :pac:)

Right, off to this interview now lads.

Wish me luck, hopefully wont be in the dole queue in a few weeks :p

Right, off to this interview now lads.

Wish me luck, hopefully wont be in the dole queue in a few weeks :p

Best of luck Kag. At the end, if they ask have you got any questions for them, ask them what is the largest animal they reckon they could throw over a crossbar.

Good luck KaG

In other news, the new homepage has teh ghey

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement