Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread & Off Topic Thread II - Collectors Edition Bumper Pack

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Brainstorm time people.

I have a house warming on Saturday and I have to buy a gift. The guy is a down to earth GAA playing product designer who appreaciates practicality but who wouldn't really give a **** either way but the girl would be keen on top notch 'housey stuff' for example she spent 160 euro on a fúcking bin.

Any ideas of something costing up to about 50 or 60 euro that is practical and wouldn't look out of place in a brand new house full of 'decent' stuff?

A keg.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

They have the basics - kettle, toaster, cutlery, wine glasses, mugs, pots, pans etc.

Was trying to find ideas for something original and something that 50 other people aren't going to show up with.

ibh is in the lead so far. :D

A lampshade? Just go to any household shop and buy some heinously over priced obscure household item. You're laughing.

Good jebus though, does it bother him that shes spendin 160e on bins?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I love the 40 foot. U do it on Christmas day?!

never done it but ive gone down to watch people swimming on christmas day. forced by the mother.

it is so good though. i love the place you can jump off from.

never done it but ive gone down to watch people swimming on christmas day. forced by the mother.

it is so good though. i love the place you can jump off from.

You should do, its good craic. You see everyone with their little hip flasks of whiskey trying to warm up.....bunch of wusses tbh. Its not that cold.

I love jumpin off it in low tide so u get a bitta hang time. I jumped off a 60 foot rock in Thailand once so nothing will ever top that im afraid!

I just hate the summer days when every tosser from far and wide descends on the place. loses its charm then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

s&m kit ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

A lampshade? Just go to any household shop and buy some heinously over priced obscure household item. You're laughing.

Woeful idea tbh! What if it doesn't match the decore? You'll have mad yourself a very powerful enemy in his missus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

You should do, its good craic. You see everyone with their little hip flasks of whiskey trying to warm up.....bunch of wusses tbh. Its not that cold.

I love jumpin off it in low tide so u get a bitta hang time. I jumped off a 60 foot rock in Thailand once so nothing will ever top that im afraid!

I just hate the summer days when every tosser from far and wide descends on the place. loses its charm then.

Yeah keep the 40ft Southsidish I say.

This was actually the latest I've ever swam in the year since about 2003(or around that). Went swimming in late November and somehow it wasn't cold(Killiney beach)

Jesus that must have been something.

They have the basics - kettle, toaster, cutlery, wine glasses, mugs, pots, pans etc.

Was trying to find ideas for something original and something that 50 other people aren't going to show up with.

ibh is in the lead so far. :D

In the lead!? Close the fcuking competition unless you can tell me a better present than a keg.
    I'll even get a tap and cooler sorted for you.

If someone rocked up to my housewarming with a keg as a gift, i would give them a key signifying the freedom of the house. (Except when the hat's on the door handle. That's McLovin time)

Seriously, i think photo frame is a good idea. I got one of those kool digital ones that scrolls through the photo's you have saved on it.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Woeful idea tbh! What if it doesn't match the decore? You'll have mad yourself a very powerful enemy in his missus.

Thats something only a woman could consider! I strongly hope you consulted your woman before posting that! us men are clueless about such things, black tracksuit bottoms with a navy t shirt FTW!

• Advertisement

Yeah keep the 40ft Southsidish I say.

This was actually the latest I've ever swam in the year since about 2003(or around that). Went swimming in late November and somehow it wasn't cold(Killiney beach)

Jesus that must have been something.

Yea I don't go when it's like that. Same with Whiterock. Bulloch Harbour jumps FTW!

Apparently (my mate told me) the temperature of the actual water only varies by half a degree throughout the year. Its the cold air that makes it seem so much worse.

Do it this Christmas, its good banter. Think I might combine that with the one mile charity run up in UCD. Should get rid of my overhang and set up my day.

Yea it was weird cos u get to a point where you're thinkin "I should really have hit the water by now" but all you can hear is the air which sounds like an open window in a car travelling at 70 mph.

Digital photo frame huh?

That could satisfy both parties - given he's a bit of techy product designer and she's, well, a girl.

Interesting.

Digital photo frame huh?

That could satisfy both parties - given he's a bit of techy product designer and she's, well, a girl.

Interesting.

TBH i don't know what sorta sponds you're talking for one, but some are pretty cool looking. Others are a bit cheapo looking.

Alternative is to buy an actual painting?? Maybe you would need to know what they're into to go that far.

Aye, the digital photo frames are outside my budget of 60 euro now that I checked.

I wouldn't chance an actual painting - far too risky - she'd be quite picky about them kind of things.

Someone in work here says a large crystal vase and some flowers to go in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Sky+ box. Seriously, they only cost about €50 these days, and I have yet to meet anyone who has Sky+ that isn't in love with it.

Sky+ box. Seriously, they only cost about €50 these days, and I have yet to meet anyone who has Sky+ that isn't in love with it.
    They have Sky HD

They have Sky HD

But do they have Sky+ HD!?

But do they have Sky+ HD!?
    Do I have to answer this? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

OK, as the DB has eaten the Off Topic Thread, we'll start up this one.

If and when the other thread comes back, I'll either randomly import some posts from that thread into this one, or merge this with the old one.

It depends on the timeframe and which would be funnier for me.

In the meantime, all forum rules apply on civility, except we'll assume a sense of humor here until it gets nasty.

On topic stuff will have this thread closed.

And then I'll cry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

And if there is crying then I will probably laugh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Beats Dog Ate My Homework I guess

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

so how bout them red sox.......

Never wore them (don't tell mum)

Mike

And if there is crying then I will probably laugh :)

You're *so* mean :(

And then Des blamed us for the old thread.

Some people.......

Oh, by the way, Cubs fans... Aaaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha :)

GuanYin wrote: »
    And then Des blamed us for the old thread.

Some people.......

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I expect a full apology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I nominate post number 6 in the "Where is the Off Topic Thread gone" thread as the best post made in the soccer forum in 2008.

Des wrote: »
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I expect a full apology.

I'm sorry you jump to wild conclusions based on spurious evidence.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I nominate post number 6 in the "Where is the Off Topic Thread gone" thread as the best post made in the soccer forum in 2008.
    Boycoutt?

I don't get it :confused:
    I'm sorry you jump to wild conclusions based on spurious evidence.

This proves I was right in my assertion.

GY wanted to have her name as the starter of every "large" thread in the Soccer Forum, it's an ego thing, clearly.

Abuse of Mod Power.

Daughter of the Off Topic my eye.

Mr Alan, mods may have contempt for a troublemaker but they despise a lick-arse! :p

Mike

mike65, are you mike65ie?

You were mentioned on the Guardian Podcast this week if you are.

Can I have your autograph?

• Advertisement

Yes, thats my 3rd or 4th mention in dispatches :)

Send me a tenner and I'll scribble on it.

Miek

Can I have your autograph?

can I have a signed photo of you? no particular reason tbh

of me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I feel kinda like we're cheating on the old thread with its hot young daughter.
    Like Dustin Hoffman in The Graduate.

And how does that make you feel ~Rebel~?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

And how does that make you feel ~Rebel~?

..kinda excited...in a wrong but yet soooo right kinda way...

Boycoutt?

I don't get it :confused:

when Newcastle fans (like charlie:)) were protesting against Ashley, they had a big banner where they spelt boycott wrong....twas all over SSN and such, very funny :)

mike65 wrote: »
    Mr Alan, mods may have contempt for a troublemaker but they despise a lick-arse! :p

Mike

:confused:

post 6 was made by Charlie, not a mod....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Boooooooooooooooooooooooo

of me?

Yes, you're a boards celeb arent you!?! :pac:

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I feel kinda like we're cheating on the old thread with its hot young daughter.
    Like Dustin Hoffman in The Graduate.

We should name this thread in that case. Since GY decided its a girl (I personally insist that is not in fact "just the umbilical chord" but nobody agrees with me) we should give it a girls name. With your post in mind it has to be a hot stripper name! :pac:

• Advertisement

if this thread is a girl, god knows wat KaG will try and do to it

i think he's a little "strange" in that department

Yes, you're a boards celeb arent you!?! :pac:

Well, yeah I am.

Mr Alan my bad, I now see which post you were refering to, ie not post 6 in this thread. :o

Mike

Well, yeah I am.

Exactly. Boardeaux manager.....you're kind of a big deal around here! Autograph should be sent by post!

I miss the MILF (thats what OT Thread senior is until this "daughter" thread gets teh merge!) tbh :(

mike65 wrote: »
    Mr Alan my bad, I now see which post you were refering to, ie not post 6 in this thread. :o

Mike

thats the second time you've tried to correct me in the last week! :) you just running round boards.ie trying to trip me up? ;)

i feel honoured, especially from a celeb like you!:D

going over to my new freinds place! later!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

It feels like we got to the last level boss, lost all our lives and now have to start from the very start because we left our memory card in a friends house during a sleepover.

Ah, to be 9 years old again!!! :pac:

The young wan?

Haha!

In like flynn al, you old dog!

thats the second time you've tried to correct me in the last week! :)

I'm getting old, I'm amazed I haven't killed someone at a traffic light junction or walked out in front of a bus at same

Mike

• Advertisement

On topic stuff will have this thread closed.

Eh surely on topic stuff should see said posted banned no? no need to ruin everyones fun surely?!

I'm disappointed the "Where is the Off Topic Thread" was closed before some poor unfortunate forums OT thread got swamped will all of us!
    going over to my new freinds place! later!

drop the hand!

Good luck Al, I expect good news later!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement