Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread & Off Topic Thread II - Collectors Edition Bumper Pack

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

eZe^ wrote: »
    F**k you Colts, F*CK YOU!

I just spent the last 4 hours writing up a lab report, and now I'm not tired so I can't go to sleep, despite the fact I have to be up tomorrow at 7/8 to play a bit of tennis with one of the lads.

Your boys are taking a tonking alright. I blame Peyton's forehead tbh.

Was she walking crooked? ;)

Aye, being skint is the ghey.

Yeah, back in the day it was all about how many people came to your birthday, or how many 'numbers' you had in you mobile. I really am beginning to appreciate the mates I have around me now, and the fact that we're like brothers around eachother. I'd trust em with me life.

Best of luck with the meeting, but like I said previously, whatever happens happens. Sweating over it or being worried about it does sweet FA. If they are in anyway a decent company to work for, you'll be kept on. If they show such impatience, then you're probably better off out now then in a few more years when you've got a few more commitments. Just my 2 cents anyway.

Yea man it even extended to college with the bebo fad...how many profile views you had and all that gheyness. only reason i still have a bebo is cos of the fact that its the only thing I have to keep in touch with some people. But all that kind of stuff is rubbish at the end of the day. Id prefer to have a birthday party with the 5 or 10 people closest to me than have a bday party with 200 plastic friends.

Thanks mate, yea i know I'm just frettin over what to say cos i have a feeling that what I say will influence the outcome. I think they feel I'm not that into it, which isnt true, I actually do enjoy the work (to a degree which IMO is the same for most jobs) I just have a laid back demeanor about me which they seem to have interpreted in their own way. I've been better as well the last while since I stopped postin in here for 4 hours a day!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Your boys are taking a tonking alright. I blame Peyton's forehead tbh.

Hahaha, like you can talk, the Rams are anally reconstructing the Cowboys.

So, away from this gay male bonding moment. How bout dem lakers? :pac:

Seriously though, I need to sleep, any chance of you showing me some footage from a Newcastle game Charlie? Or maybe Shearer talking/ playing... It's all the same to me. :pac::pac::pac:

Yea man it even extended to college with the bebo fad...how many profile views you had and all that gheyness. only reason i still have a bebo is cos of the fact that its the only thing I have to keep in touch with some people. But all that kind of stuff is rubbish at the end of the day. Id prefer to have a birthday party with the 5 or 10 people closest to me than have a bday party with 200 plastic friends.

Exactly. I turned 21 when I was spending the summer in New York. Had a cracking birthday with my closted mates, the only people I really wanted to share the occassion with. When I got back, my mam couldn't understand why I didn't want a big do and wouldn't stop pestering me about it. In her mind, the 200+ do in the local hotel is what a 21st should be. For me, that day I had with lads was all I wanted, and will remember fondly for many a moon. 21st with lads in hooters>>>>>>>>>>>21st with plastics.
    Tyea i know I'm just frettin over what to say cos i have a feeling that what I say will influence the outcome. I think they feel I'm not that into it, which isnt true, I actually do enjoy the work (to a degree which IMO is the same for most jobs)

That's a tough'in alright. But as you say, you do enjoy the work (to a degree) and you always come across as a positive bloke, so be confident in your own ability to convey this. I'm not religious or superstitious or nowt, but I am a firm believer that alot of things happen for a reason, and things fall into place more often than not.

I guess the best I can say is that you at least know that come tomorrow, you'll know where you stand, and in a sense things are back in your control, irrespective of the outcome. It's probably the feeling of not knowing that is getting you.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Seriously though, I need to sleep, any chance of you showing me some footage from a Newcastle game Charlie? Or maybe Shearer talking/ playing... It's all the same to me. :pac::pac::pac:

I find that trying to work out how it's possible for Peyton to be so fat headed is enough to tire anyone and put them to sleep. :pac:

uglymask.jpg

• Advertisement

Exactly. I turned 21 when I was spending the summer in New York. Had a cracking birthday with my closted mates, the only people I really wanted to share the occassion with. When I got back, my mam couldn't understand why I didn't want a big do and wouldn't stop pestering me about it. In her mind, the 200+ do in the local hotel is what a 21st should be. For me, that day I had with lads was all I wanted, and will remember fondly for many a moon. 21st with lads in hooters>>>>>>>>>>>21st with plastics.

Haha, my 21st was funny. I got pushed into having a big thing (my folks, mates, gf at the time were all at me to do it) and it's just needless, havin to do up lists and invite people u dont know too well etc etc. Pain in the ass. My favourite part of that night was when the bouncers sent us home. I knew that would be the case many weeks before. Nowadays I wouldnt be so laid back and go with the flow about it, Id actually point blank refuse!

Fair play tho, sounds like the proper way to do it. No phonies!
    That's a tough'in alright. But as you say, you do enjoy the work (to a degree) and you always come across as a positive bloke, so be confident in your own ability to convey this. I'm not religious or superstitious or nowt, but I am a firm believer that alot of things happen for a reason, and things fall into place more often than not.

I guess the best I can say is that you at least know that come tomorrow, you'll know where you stand, and in a sense things are back in your control, irrespective of the outcome. It's probably the feeling of not knowing that is getting you.

Thats it man. Ill either be very relieved and relaxed tomorrow evenin or Ill be in a confused place. Hopin its A. I think I need to show em more of a determined front and convince them that Im gonna work harder at it and take it more seriously.

Yea man same as me. I never get too worked up about these things anymore but I dont wanna go into it too relaxed and casual, which is usually how I roll, becuase that could cost me. So im just trying to make sure im in a positive, determined and convincing state of mind so that when I talk to them they have faith that I will get it all together.

Anyways lads, better hit the hay, woulnt be a good sdtart to be dozing off while talkin! Enjoy your NFL row! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,072 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Aye, that friends thing is so true. Have plenty of extended mates, but a core group of 5 or 6 proper friends that would do anything for ya or vice versa. Could go a year without seeing them but when ye meet up again its like there was no gap at all.

A teacher of mine in first year at school said something thats always stuck with me. He was the religeon teacher, but used to just chat about the football and stuff instead, it wasn't a proper subject back then. There were people talking about something like what yee were saying, y'know a group of 50 going to something or other, and he said he had 3 proper friends and he felt very privilaged to have that many even. He said he knew if he turned up at one of their doorsteps at 4 in the morning and said he needed to borrow their car that they'd let him, no questions asked, and that we'd appreciate that type of friendship one day.

How right he was!

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Aye, that friends thing is so true. Have plenty of extended mates, but a core group of 5 or 6 proper friends that would do anything for ya or vice versa. Could go a year without seeing them but when ye meet up again its like there was no gap at all.

This. it's very true.
    A teacher of mine in first year at school said something thats always stuck with me. He was the religeon teacher, but used to just chat about the football and stuff instead, it wasn't a proper subject back then.

I think they are all like that tbh. Religion was always anything but when I went. Usually skived off it though as it was always seen as a spare forty mins.
    There were people talking about something like what yee were saying, y'know a group of 50 going to something or other, and he said he had 3 proper friends and he felt very privilaged to have that many even. He said he knew if he turned up at one of their doorsteps at 4 in the morning and said he needed to borrow their car that they'd let him, no questions asked, and that we'd appreciate that type of friendship one day.

How right he was!

Yeah, at one stage I went through a phase when I just started first yr college, and I felt that I had to branch out and make as many new friends as possible. Join all the socs. The college experience and all that.

Don't get me wrong, there about 2 or 3 people I would consider good mates that I went to college with, but the vast majority of people were tools, and they made me realise how fortunate I was to have such a sound bunch of lads to call as my mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

God damn hate Monday!!

:(

Next Monday though, Long Weekend BOOYA!!!!!

Lads if you have a spare 2 hours watch this video, its pretty interesting.

Its called Zeitgeist Addendum, its conspiracy but very well presented like the original Zeitgeist Movie.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7065205277695921912

• Advertisement

Bill wrote: »
    Lads if you have a spare 2 hours watch this video, its pretty interesting.

Its called Zeitgeist Addendum, its conspiracy but very well presented like the original Zeitgeist Movie.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7065205277695921912

tin-foil-hat.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Morning folks.

Ah, another week rolls round, another week closer to Xmas.

santa-reading283746234.gif

What ya getting Des , I think I might go on a holiday in a new year :)

Bill wrote: »
    What ya getting Des , I think I might go on a holiday in a new year :)

New phone.

My Nokia N73 is slower than a Windows 95 machine.

And a surprise. Of course.

Des wrote: »
    New phone.

My Nokia N73 is slower than a Windows 95 machine.

And a surprise. Of course.
    Any phone in particular, the new Sony Xperia is pretty sweet, even though I am an iPhone man.

I hate surprises though.

Nothing too fancy.

I don't need a music player, I have a 60gb Zen Vision W.

I don't need the internet on my phone. I have full acess in work, and at home, so my journeys to and from places are internet free, and I like it that way.

I don't need SatNav, no-one in Ireland does, really.

I would like a nice camera though, the N73 has a 3.2 Megapixel camera, which is nice. And I don't have a camera of my own.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Morning all.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

morning
    peoples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Evening all.

Another warm one today (35.1 degrees)

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Evening all.

Another warm one today (35.1 degrees)

Bastid.

• Advertisement

Bastid.

All well and good at the weekend but it's a pain in the hole wearin a shirt and slacks to work.

Sleepin isn't fun either. Lowest it got to last night was 21.

I got stung by a wanker jellyfish in the sea yesterday.

All well and good at the weekend but it's a pain in the hole wearin a shirt and slacks to work.

Sleepin isn't fun either. Lowest it got to last night was 21.

You ain't got AC?

I hated that about Australia.

Do you work with the public? ANy kind of role where you face "outside" people?

If not, then I can not understand the shirt and slacks mentality.

It's one thing which I feel Australia is quite backward about.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Jaysus that weekend was a short one.

Had a nice bit of roast beef for my dinner yesterday.

Have a few slices of batch loaf with a few slices of that same roast beef and butter for me lunch today.

Oh yes.

Might have a package of Snax with that too.

I hated that about Australia.

Do you work with the public? ANy kind of role where you face "outside" people?

If not, then I can not understand the shirt and slacks mentality.

It's one thing which I feel Australia is quite backward about.

Nope I sit in an office at a computer all day copying and pasting the work of real journalists.

I agree it's a joke, though I've started wearing really light, untucked short sleeve shirts and no one's said anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Jaysus that weekend was a short one.

Agreed, we need to campaign for an extra day on the weekend...

Nope I sit in an office at a computer all day copying and pasting the work of real journalists.

I agree it's a joke, though I've started wearing really light, untucked short sleeve shirts and no one's said anything.

I don't even get this about Irealnd either.

There must be thousands of workers who are parked in front of a computer all day, with no contact with anyone other than their co-workers, yet they are forced to put on their sunday best. Because you know, inputting data, it's serious business. :rolleyes:

I honestly believe that productivity and morale would be much better if people we're allowed to wear what they want (within reason).

Another thing, when I was working in New York, I had to wear a suit. Couldn't complain really, because it was for a concierge role. However, logically, they had a locker room, and everyone had their own locker. Hence, I could roll to and from work in shorts and a t-shirt, and get changed there. They even did the dry cleaning for me, so I never had to take my suit with me. This made a massive difference considering the muggyness of New york during the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Had a nice bit of roast beef for my dinner yesterday.

Have a few slices of batch loaf with a few slices of that same roast beef and butter for me lunch today.

Oh yes.

Might have a package of Snax with that too.

Des you bastid. I’m dying for a roast beef sambo now. I was busy yesterday so never went shopping and now I have no john rambo’s for lunch. Have to go and buy some overpriced ****e now.

You need to gradually make it more casual. In my last job I started with shirt and slacks then gradually worked my way down to polo shirt and cords / jeans. Have to make the change gradually though, otherwise get stung back to smart dress. My current dress code sucks cause it’s suit Monday-Thurs although no tie at least.

• Advertisement

ibh wrote: »
    Des you bastid. I’m dying for a roast beef sambo now.

:D

So, on saturday night I was in The Porterhouse North.

It's Oktoberfest in there, and they were having Steins of German beer for a tenner. Nice one.

They were also having "Stein Holding Competitions". I'm far too lazy for such things, but four girls out of the group I was there with were roped into it.

About a half hour before they were due to compete, I said to them, one by one, that they get to keep the Stein full of beer that they had to hold. Each of them said to me "Sure I'm not drinking beer, you can have the free beer Des".

I got 4 free steins of beer. 8 pints. I was set for the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Carbonara for lunch. Set up for the rest of the day.

:D

About a half hour before they were due to compete, I said to them, one by one, that they get to keep the Stein full of beer that they had to hold. Each of them said to me "Sure I'm not drinking beer, you can have the free beer Des".

I got 4 free steins of beer. 8 pints. I was set for the night.

Fiendishly good work.

Afternoon lads, any craic?! I didnt get asleep last night til nearly 3 o clock and Im dyin of a cold which is getting worse as the day rolls on. :mad:

And I still havent talked to the boss. Ill be snivelling like a pansy by the time I get to talk tohim me thinks :(

Des, Oktoberfest in Dublin...... I dunno if I buy into it but sounds like fun nonetheless!

Des, Oktoberfest in Dublin...... I dunno if I buy into it but sounds like fun nonetheless!

I'm not on about that thing that was on down the IFSC.

I was talking about The Porterhouse, they run specials on German Beers every October.

<3 The Porterhouse, my second favourite pub in Dublin, after The Bull & Castle.

I'm not on about that thing that was on down the IFSC.

I was talking about The Porterhouse, they run specials on German Beers every October.

<3 The Porterhouse, my second favourite pub in Dublin, after The Bull & Castle.

Not a fan of the Czech Inn now?! :pac:

Very good, sounds like a lotta banter tbh.

• Advertisement

Feckin hate that 'banter' word :mad:

Feckin hate that 'banter' word :mad:

Why, it's loike totally random, loike myself.

Afternoon lads, any craic?! I didnt get asleep last night til nearly 3 o clock and Im dyin of a cold which is getting worse as the day rolls on. :mad:

And I still havent talked to the boss. Ill be snivelling like a pansy by the time I get to talk tohim me thinks :(

That description reminds me of this episode of the Simpsons

Quimby.jpg

<3 The Porterhouse,

Is there a few of those in Dublin?

Think the sister lives opposite one in Phibsboro? - I may be wrong.

Is there a few of those in Dublin?
    Porterhouse North - Phibsboro
    Porterhouse Central - Nassau Street (used to be Judge Roy Beans)
    Porterhouse Temple Bar - Parliament Street, near Turks Head
    Porterhouse Bray - this is the original one.
    Think the sister lives opposite one in Phibsboro? - I may be wrong.
    Yeah, I saw her on Saturday night.

• Advertisement

When did Judge Roy Beans go?

When did Judge Roy Beans go?

Before you left I'd say.

Jeez never even noticed, and I worked on Grafton Street.

It looks the exact same on the outside tbh.

And the inside isn't that much different.

The Mexican theme is gone, but the layout is hardly changed.

I don't even get this about Irealnd either.

There must be thousands of workers who are parked in front of a computer all day, with no contact with anyone other than their co-workers, yet they are forced to put on their sunday best. Because you know, inputting data, it's serious business. :rolleyes:

I honestly believe that productivity and morale would be much better if people we're allowed to wear what they want (within reason).

Another thing, when I was working in New York, I had to wear a suit. Couldn't complain really, because it was for a concierge role. However, logically, they had a locker room, and everyone had their own locker. Hence, I could roll to and from work in shorts and a t-shirt, and get changed there. They even did the dry cleaning for me, so I never had to take my suit with me. This made a massive difference considering the muggyness of New york during the summer.
    Same in our place , but I hell as fcuk comply to that. I am come in wearing my chill out gear as if I just rolled out me bed, I hate seeing numpties walking around with shirts and ties. My mate comes in wearing his Coventry jerseys , he must have one for every day of the week from the past 20 years.

I think we should be allowed work just in our underwear and the women nothing at all :p

I think we should be allowed work just in our underwear and the women nothing at all :p

Even that fat biatch with the droopy melons?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Even that fat biatch with the droopy melons?

thats a lovely way to talk about me

thats a lovely way to talk about me

You are neither.

Porterhouse North - Phibsboro
    Porterhouse Central - Nassau Street (used to be Judge Roy Beans)
    Porterhouse Temple Bar - Parliament Street, near Turks Head
    Porterhouse Bray - this is the original one.
    Which one do you frequent most often?
    Yeah, I saw her on Saturday night.

You did well considering she was drinking with myself in Carlingford.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement