Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread & Off Topic Thread II - Collectors Edition Bumper Pack

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

eZe^ wrote: »
    Anyone know Tony Jaa? He is basically a million times better than Jet Li and Jackie Chan put together. He wouldn't be up there with Bruce Lee(the man did defeat Chuck Norris :pac:), but he's definitely the closest actor/ fighter since then. If you ever get the chance watch Ong Bak on sky, quality movie, in some of the fight scenes they actually employed poor Thai people to get beaten up so it would be authentic. You can feel the pain. Here's an unbelievable clip of the man and his devastating knees, elbows and general acrobatics. (also note that none of his stunts involve strings or CGI, all natural)

Love the guy. Tom Yong Goon is another (his only other I think) which isn't as good as Ong Bak, but along the same lines. Think they renamed it Warrior King over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Ya man, I loved how unconventional the ending to that movie was. Some great scenes in that. Have you seen that clip which is just one massive fight scene for 4 minutes, all done in one take. It's the best fight scene I've ever seen. The crew could only take a maximum of two takes a day because it would take so long to rebuild the set after each attempt. It took like 5 takes to get it perfect.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Ya man, I loved how unconventional the ending to that movie was. Some great scenes in that. Have you seen that clip which is just one massive fight scene for 4 minutes, all done in one take.

Yep, I'm sure that broke a record as well! Incredible how they did it.

You should check out a new film called 'Chocolate', it doesn't have Tony Jaa but it is Muai-Thai based.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bored in work this morning?

Then why not watch the Irish rugby league team in their game against Fiji -

http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=23192&part=sports

Very bottom stream opens in Windows Media Player.

shane86 wrote: »
    I was watching some UFC cage fighting late night on Setanta.

Christ who the **** goes to see this redneck gypsy "entertainment". It has all the grace and skill of watching two 12 year olds knock the sh1te out of each other in the playground. Two not particularly physically fit men very sloppily knocking the sh1t out of each other is below drunken bar brawling in terms of sporting merit.

The fact that The Sun is the only large media outlet that covers this crap says it all in terms of the crowds the bouts in The Point attract. Someone ban this sport on safety grounds, but with the non spoken reason that the actual reason for banning it is that it is utter sht1 that causes scobes to gather in large numbers.

:rolleyes:

Have you ever been to any mixed martial arts event? I can assure you that they most certainly are not predominantly full of "redneck gypsys". In fact tickets for the UFC are so expensive that it means that it's almost always skobe free. The UFC event in Belfast was one of the most fun atmospheres Ive ever experienced. You get more agro between rival sets of fans at an average soccer match than you do at a UFC event.

It has all the grace and skill of two 12 year olds knocking the sh1te out of each other in a playground? What do you weigh? If its that simple then if you like I can find you a guy for you in your weight class no problem and get you on a local card against him. I'm sure you'll make easy work of him and have enough stamina left in the tank to go out and chase skirts later that night. And hey, it'll make that skirt chasing easier because you can brag about how you made short work of some unskilled guy in a cage fight. ;) Only somebody who has never competed or trained in any grappling art could spout such absolute sh1te.

You do also realise that a large percentage of UFC fighters are college graduates? Most of them are standout wrestlers in the NCAA, some made it to the Olympics (Dan Henderson/Matt Lindland), others are former maths teachers (Rich Franklin), qualified accountants (Chuck Liddell) etc. They're not just a bunch of hicks who enjoy the blood. I've met a lot of guys who fight in MMA and I've never found them to be anything other than friendly unassuming and down to earth.

As for you "not particularly physically fit" remark. I'll put it this way. Google "UFC All Access" and watch pretty much any one of them and see the kind of training they put in. For example, Randy Couture, the current UFC Heavyweight Champion is 45 years of age. He trains some of his cardio fitness in a centre in Las Vegas which is basically a large room of tramploines side by side where you bound from one to the next and do various drills. Now this place attracts top boxers, NFL footballers, NBA basketballers and other team sports as part of their pre season training, and the guy who runs the place said that Couture, who is on average 20 years older than these guys, was by far and away the fittest athlete he's ever seen. 45 years old.

The Sun may be the only newspaper that covers it but it gets mainstream coverage in the US from the likes of ESPN and Yahoo.

And finally, ban the sport on safety grounds? What do you base this on? Can you please quote me the list of cases where serious injury has been caused to support this statement please? Oh wait, you can't. That's because in the entire history of the sport there have been 3 deaths. 3, I believe that there are more per year in boxing. The first one was a Russian guy who basically died the same way Marc Viven Foe did, a heart condition that had not been spotted caused him to go into cardiac arrest from the physical exertion of judo throwing his opponent. You cannot account for that as he likely would have died whether he chose to fight in a cage, play rugby, swim or whatever. The second was the sad case of Sammy Vasquez and the third was a Korean fella who suffered a brain haemmorage after a fight.

If you don't like something then fine but don't ignorantly call for something to be banned and then insult the fanbase of a sport that you clearly haven't the foggiest clue about.

/rant

And to think I stopped in here this morning to simply post a good morning and how was everyone's weekend!!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

rant score: unknown (tl;dr)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I think we were all waiting for Neil to reply to that post.

I don't have a clue about UFC or MMA however I do watch it the odd time whens its on, and I will be watching the Couture vs. Lesnar fight I think it this weekend. Even from a casual fan I can see that these guys mean business and although I don't understand a lot of it and it can seem like a lot of "hugging" going on, I know I wouldn't want to be in that cage.

Sherifu wrote: »
    rant score: unknown (tl;dr)

Sherifu post content unknown, TL/DR! :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

UFC is WWF for the 21st century.

I did get a laugh from "redneck gypsys" but then I stopped reading.
    it can seem like a lot of "hugging" going on
    That's true :)

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote: »

QFT

Don't see the appeal myself. Bunch of pikies batin the head of each other for the craic. No thanks.

except its real.
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    QFT

Don't see the appeal myself. Bunch of pikies batin the head of each other for the craic. No thanks.

sure you watch AFL. whats the difference?

I think we were all waiting for Neil to reply to that post.

I don't have a clue about UFC or MMA however I do watch it the odd time whens its on, and I will be watching the Couture vs. Lesnar fight I think it this weekend. Even from a casual fan I can see that these guys mean business and although I don't understand a lot of it and it can seem like a lot of "hugging" going on, I know I wouldn't want to be in that cage.

Lucky I'm posting from work. Had I been at home Id have exceeded character limit! :D

Randy vs Brock is gonna be huge. Can't wait for it.

The "hugging" is actually usually what happnens when two guys who are both excellent wrestlers clash it becomes a stalemate. Basically when they are hugging they are both pushing pulling each other trying to get one to overcompensate and lose balance so as to set up a throw or a bodylock takedown. So if I was "hugging" you Id be looking to push you back. Then when you feel the push you would push back into me to stop me from throwing you. What i'd then look for is to use your own momentum against you so that when u push back into me I pull you towards me and you lose balance for a split second giving me a chance to take you down. It can be a bit boring to watch at times but I assure you it's a technical struggle. Watch out for this on saturday as Couture is very good at the push/pull struggle and the clinch in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I dont like UFC, but good post Neil.

sure you watch AFL. whats the difference?

There are rarely fights in AFL these days. And it's proper sport. UFC imo isn't.

Tut tut! The only truth from this is that it has stolen a lot of pro wrestlings fan base.

But WWF/WWE = fake, winner decided beforehand, winner is usually the one who takes more steroids making him look larger than life and as such is made the face of the company and "wins" every match.

MMA/UFC = real, anything can happen, winner is usually the more technical/fitter/tougher of the 2.

Lucky I'm posting from work. Had I been at home Id have exceeded character limit! :D

Randy vs Brock is gonna be huge. Can't wait for it.

The "hugging" is actually usually what happnens when two guys who are both excellent wrestlers clash it becomes a stalemate. Basically when they are hugging they are both pushing pulling each other trying to get one to overcompensate and lose balance so as to set up a throw or a bodylock takedown. So if I was "hugging" you Id be looking to push you back. Then when you feel the push you would push back into me to stop me from throwing you. What i'd then look for is to use your own momentum against you so that when u push back into me I pull you towards me and you lose balance for a split second giving me a chance to take you down. It can be a bit boring to watch at times but I assure you it's a technical struggle. Watch out for this on saturday as Couture is very good at the push/pull struggle and the clinch in general.

Ah I get that the "huggin" is a technical struggle between the two fighters. But because I don't follow the sport that much, or participate in it, it can be hard to follow/be entertained by the subtle things you prob need to look out for during the struggles.

Randy v Brock should be good though.

There are rarely fights in AFL these days. And it's proper sport. UFC imo isn't.

In fairness that was pretty much a tongue in cheek comment.

How its not a proper sport I dunno?
    Do you consider boxing a sport?

I don't care if people don't like it. I'm well used to that and there's nothing in the whole world that EVERYONE likes (okay save for sex, food etc but u know what I mean!) but I just have a problem with people tearing it apart without backing it up with something intelligent and a good reason for it.

• Advertisement

Ah I get that the "huggin" is a technical struggle between the two fighters. But because I don't follow the sport that much, or participate in it, it can be hard to follow/be entertained by the subtle things you prob need to look out for during the struggles.

Randy v Brock should be good though.

Oh i agree 100%. I get p1ssed off at times too when 2 lads are just stalling or circling but not engaging or anything like that. But I equate it to a soccer match where nothing happens (the 1st half of the 2007 FA cup Final between United and Chelsea), or a rugby match with a hoopload of knock ons and no scores etc etc. Every sport has its stinkers. It's unfortunate but that's the way it goes. Sometimes though when two guys are evenly matched and you can see it's a battle of who's will breaks first, I always find that fascinating watching them wear each other down until one can't handle it anymore. But when u get a really action packed and exciting fight it's epic, just the same as with any other sport.

Ireland 10 - 12 Fiji at half time. Anyone managing to watch this who would care to tell me how we are doing.

Doin superbly. Should be level but missed an easy conversion. Having our chances at the start of the second half and it's definitely winnable.

"Ireland" 10 - 12 Fiji.

Watching interviews with those lads the other day they were all from either Manchester or Australia! It's great though, League is a class sport and anything to raise the profile of the game here is a good thing.

"Ireland" 10 - 12 Fiji.

Watching interviews with those lads the other day they were all from either Manchester or Australia! It's great though, League is a class sport and anything to raise the profile of the game here is a good thing.
    Same as the soccer team then :p

Ah there's a few actual Irish lads in it and a lot who have parents.

• Advertisement

Could never get into Rugby League myself. Dunno why it just never seemed to gather my interest.

I will happily jump aboard any bandwagon that happens to go around though.

Could never get into Rugby League myself. Dunno why it just never seemed to gather my interest.

I will happily jump aboard any bandwagon that happens to go around though.
    Same as, hop on.

Fiji just got a try.

The Irish kicker Richards just hit a drop out 70 metres. Commentators are pullin the balls of themselves biggin him up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

and a lot who have parents.

:confused:

Everyone has parents, to be fair

Des wrote: »
    :confused:

Everyone has parents, to be fair

Weren't you giving out about people being post correcting Nazis in AH?

You know what I meant.

• Advertisement

need your help peoples....

wats the best wireless broadband available that does NOT require a phone line?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

The Apprentice

I just got sent this,I am not sure if any of you are into The Apprentice if you are you will like this.

Did anyone sky plus the episode when Joanne got fired!!!

If you look very carefully you will notice that she has different clothes on in the car than shed did in the boardroom!!!

Thats cause she wet herself in the boardroom. Look very carefully, when she goes back into the boardroom before she gets fired her trousers arent wet around the crotch, then when she comes back out 2 mins later there is a little wet patch. Will get it up on youtube shortly. You wont belive your eyes!!!

Here is a Pic...

00dj4px1.jpg

Mr Alan wrote: »
    need your help peoples....

wats the best wireless broadband available that does NOT require a phone line?

Brutal services.

But.

Don't touch Clearwire. Don't even entertain the notion of joining up.

It was them bastards who made me redundant.

cool Des, if i aint touching them though, who do i touch? :)

Don't touch Clearwire.

Hate their yank bastard ads.

Irish Broadband probably.

Be warned though.

These services are exceptionally shíte.

What about one of the mobile companies?

Same as, hop on.

well there goes the band wagon.

well there goes the band wagon.
    It sure was fun \o/

Who is your tv provider?

Al, I know people who have the 3 broadband and are pretty happy with it. Decent coverage, and just top it up like a mobile phone. They retail at about 80 euro.

• Advertisement

It sure was fun \o/

Ah well. Time to forget it ever happened and get on with my life!!

Its not for me, its a girl i work with who was asking me.

I was thinking NTL, but she has Sky. Clearwire (my mam has it) and Irish Broadband are meant to be pants.

One of the mobile providers is probably her best bet alright.

Clearwire (my mam has it)

:mad::mad:

Tell her to get rid.

I will do Des. She had it a good while before they let you go in fairness.

Thing is a ****ing heap of ****e tbh, i rarely use the internet when i'm in hers its so muck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Afternoon lads.

Not that I have had any experiences with 3 broadband, but check the Broadband forum Al. As far as I can remember, there was a mega thread (nearly as big as this one) going on about how poor the 3 broadband was. Check it out, and ask the nerds in there, I am sure they will know the score.

Al is afraid of other forums.

Al is afraid of other forums.
    Ya, I would have suggested the broadband forum but he's such a big girl.

leave it out!

i posted in the films forum once!

;)

leave it out!
    No, Boards.ie is about more than Soccer my boy.

Embrace it.

Use it to ask questions
    i posted in the films forum once!

;)

Ooooooohhhh.

• Advertisement

i do betty!

music production, mp3 players, films....i'm all over the shop!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement