Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread & Off Topic Thread II - Collectors Edition Bumper Pack

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

eZe^ wrote: »
    There's the Leinster shoulder chip again. Who said we'd be prattling on about it in 30 years. It hasn't even been 30 hours and Leinster fans are already tarnishing it. The game will clearly be forgotten about in a couple of weeks, but at least let some supporters enjoy what was an awesome occasion for a couple of days. Instead of coming over and saying 'omg it was two reserve teams in an exhibition match, nothing to get excited about'. Sports fans will always make hyperbolic statements like 'THAT WAS THE BEST EVER'. Spurs supporters nearly died when they drew 4-4 with arsenal, a team they play twice EVERY year, Xavi6 was going crazy when City beat Utd twice in one season. That's a major aspect of sport.

Of course I did! We feckin won! I wouldn't be celebrating a 2-1 defeat in the last minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Of course I did! We feckin won! I wouldn't be celebrating a 2-1 defeat in the last minute.
    But the majority of people in this case are celebrating the occasion, not the result. What's wrong with that? It was a magnificent occasion. Have you seen the game yet?

Pighead wrote: »
    But the majority of people in this case are celebrating the occasion, not the result. What's wrong with that? It was a magnificent occasion.

Agree 100%. Superb occassion.

However my issue is lumping this bunch of reserves who lost in with a great team of 1978 who actually won against a full team. Huge difference that is lost on a lot of people.
    Have you seen the game yet?

Unfortunately I haven't, though I have seen highlights on various sites and the atmosphere was fantastic.

There's the Leinster shoulder chip again. Who said we'd be prattling on about it in 30 years. It hasn't even been 30 hours and Leinster fans are already tarnishing it. The game will clearly be forgotten about in a couple of weeks, but at least let some supporters enjoy what was an awesome occasion for a couple of days. Instead of coming over and saying 'omg it was two reserve teams in an exhibition match, nothing to get excited about'. Sports fans will always make hyperbolic statements like 'THAT WAS THE BEST EVER'. Spurs supporters nearly died when they drew 4-4 with arsenal, a team they play twice EVERY year, Xavi6 was going crazy when City beat Utd twice in one season. That's a major aspect of sport.[/QUOTE]

Munster are the twice European Champions and they're almost celebrating having lost a match as if they just won the World Cup. That or the media aren't broadcasting the opinions of those more levelheaded among the fanbase. I respect the hell outta Munsters players and their tradition but I hate the "red machine". I respect the hell out of the effort they put in last night and a part of me wanted them to win because they deserved it but the larger part of me wanted them to lose for the simple fact that I don't wanna hear about it forever and have to put up with them using it to justify every rugby debate they ever have as if winning one match makes them the world best team ever EVER.
    And what you said about Munster fans is irrelevant really, Leinster fans are just as bad when they come to Musgrave park, throwing stones at some of the houses surrounding the stadium just because we are 'a bunch of culchie bastards'. You get stupid fans supporting any team in the world.

Agree. Muppets in every teams fanbase but the level of sheer agro from the Munster fans I've seen is just not on. I can only go on what I've seen but it takes a special type of tosser to try and start a fight with a kid.
    And I don't really care if Leinster supporters don't support us when we play against other sides, I wouldn't let opposition fans cause me to stop supporting Irish rugby, I have no problem supporting Leinster whenever they aren't playing Munster, Connacht or Ulster, and I do, I was glad they smashed Wasps a few weeks ago. It's a bit stupid that you stopped supporting Munster because a couple of people that you didn't know at a bar supported the team playing Leinster, as if it was highly insulting or something. It's a big rivalry, sh*t like that is bound to happen.

It was entire bar, a pretty large one at that, and they were all cheering on Leicester. LEICESTER! That said it all. Planetrugby.com forum is full of that too. It goes both ways. I have had all goodwill towards Munster eroded over the years.

A mate of mine is a big Munster fan and after the Lansdowne semi final he was about as gracious in victory as Prince Naseem used to be. Started calling me names as if I personally ahd been on the pitch and the messages he sent us were pretty hateful. He'd engaged in a bit of healthy pre match banter and figured that a post match grave dance would be appropriate too.

Like I said, what you see is what you have to go on. I've met an awful lot of decent Munster fans, and anyone I know who supports them are normally decent lads, but as a collective they're insufferable (kinda like the perception of United fans then!! :pac:)

On a different note lads, found out today that I'll likely be working New Years Eve in here. Not as bad as herself though, she got rostered for Christmas Eve AND Christmas Day. :eek:

Well said eZe. Last nights game was an absolutely fantastic spectacle and for atmosphere and excitement alone it bettered almost anything I've seen this year. Who gives a crap if neither side put out their best teams.

100% agree. the haka and atmosphere were amazing and the game was exciting but most people are over estimating the quality of rugby that was played.
    We're not talking Carling Cup stroll in the park here. It was thirty odd men given their absolute all to the cause putting their bodies on the line time and time again. To watch that and be able to respond with a "meh" attitude amazes me. And to say New Zealand were only going through the motions is bollocks as well and shows a lack of understanding of the game. Henry's job would have been on the line had he lost this game and the fact he threw on a few of his big guns in the last quarter of the match underlines this.

I understand the game very well thank you. Played it for 5 years in school and my mates are all rugby fanatics so i know the rules inside out at this stage too. New Zealand needed an injection of experience (particularly gotten from Gibbs) to turn it up. And when they did the tide turned. In other words when they got the finger out they won. I agree that to say that they solely weren't bothered is bull, because I think the Thomand atmosphere got to them, but they weren;t treating the game like a WC Final same way munster were.
    Shame on the naysayers.

I've given them credit where they deserve it. I feel no shame at all. I'm just being honest.

Agree 100%. Superb occassion.

However my issue is lumping this bunch of reserves who lost in with a great team of 1978 who actually won against a full team. Huge difference that is lost on a lot of people.

Unfortunately I haven't, though I have seen highlights on various sites and the atmosphere was fantastic.
    Listen Xavi6, I had pretty much the same attitude as you yesterday before the match. Stuck the game not expecting a great deal as it was only a "bunch of reserves" playing each other.

But right from the moment the players ran onto the pitch I was sucked into the game and for the next 100 or so minutes I was absolutely glued to the television. You make the All Blacks reserves sound like little girls. They're not, they're damn good players who would walk into any other national team in the world. These were damn good players that were expected to wipe the floor with Munster who were something like 15/1 in the bookies.

That's what people are getting so excited about. The sheer achievement of a shadow Munster side almost beating fifteen excellent all blacks. Forget about 78 for a minute, and just revel in the occassion for what it was. A magnificent game full of bravery, skill and passion.

They're not, they're damn good players who would walk into any other national team in the world.

Actually Pighead, if most of the A class New Zealanders (to name a few Luke McAllister, Aaron Mauger, Chris Jack, Jerry Collins, Rico Gear, Carl Hayman, Doug Howlett, etc)hadn't gone abroad then none of those lads would be tour. Now THOSE guys would walk into any national team in the world.

Save for Piri Weepu, Corey Flynn and Big Joe that was an ordinary Kiwi team with 4 guys making their All Blacks debuts. Most of them have been brought on tour to test the waters, if they're good enough (their full back last night certainly fit the bill) they'll be kept but a lot of them won't make the grade.

Munster also started with a couple of their big guns in Mafi, Tipoki, Stringer, Howlett, Leamy, Mick O'Driscoll, Puchiarello (sp?), Sheehan and Barry Murphy so they weren't entirely a reserve team to be fair.

Actually Pighead, if most of the A class New Zealanders (to name a few Luke McAllister, Aaron Mauger, Chris Jack, Jerry Collins, Rico Gear, Carl Hayman, Doug Howlett, etc)hadn't gone abroad then none of those lads would be tour. Now THOSE guys would walk into any national team in the world.

Save for Piri Weepu, Corey Flynn and Big Joe that was an ordinary Kiwi team with 4 guys making their All Blacks debuts. Most of them have been brought on tour to test the waters, if they're good enough (their full back last night certainly fit the bill) they'll be kept but a lot of them won't make the grade.

Munster also started with a couple of their big guns in Mafi, Tipoki, Stringer, Howlett, Leamy, Mick O'Driscoll, Puchiarello (sp?), Sheehan and Barry Murphy so they weren't entirely a reserve team to be fair.
    Yes but not making the grade for NZ isn't really anything to be ashamed of. All these players have played Super 14's for their club sides and most of thye NZ club sides would give International teams a damn good game. NZ rugby is way ahead of anything else.

Yes but not making the grade for NZ isn't really anything to be ashamed of. All these players have played Super 14's for their club sides and most of thye NZ club sides would give International teams a damn good game. NZ rugby is way ahead of anything else.

So if the next time Brazil come to Lansdowne Road or wherever and we lose 1-0 in a friendly should we be requesting DVDs? Reserve Brazilians would make it into a lot of other national teams after all.

So if the next time Brazil come to Lansdowne Road or wherever and we lose 1-0 in a friendly should we be requesting DVDs? Reserve Brazilians would make it into a lot of other national teams after all.
    Definitely not. In all likeliness it would be a game involving 22 lads not giving much of a shit and strolling round the park for 90 minutes with no clear cut chances of note, with Brazil eventually winning thanks to a deflection off Richard Dunnes arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Fupping hell lads , time to lighten the mood !

Hey Al, u lurkin? I'm in a very good mood with your employers today! Just got a quote that's €250 cheaper than my renewal!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Rugby! Bah!!

So, anyone getting locked this weekend!????

monkey9 wrote: »
    Rugby! Bah!!

Negative. Lyin low due to low funds, needing to keep funds for xmas and needing to catch up on sleep! Yawn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Hey Al, u lurkin? I'm in a very good mood with your employers today! Just got a quote that's €250 cheaper than my renewal!!

I presume you mean mr-al as i have no idea what you are about.
    Rugby! Bah!!

Wouldn't be a weekend otherwise.

I presume you mean mr-al as i have no idea what you are about.

Indeed. I saved money on my car insurance!

Where the hell is Mr Al these days. Is he still off recording that seminal album of his?

Himself and Charlie are off ridin somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Jayzus I get out of bed after a nice Wednesday lie-in to find the OT thread has turned into the Rugby forum... :p

Yup, fairly big party in my mates house on Saturday night. Road Trip to Kilkenny first though for my match..
    Indeed. I saved money on my car insurance!

I don't know what a tracker mortgage is!

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    Jayzus I get out of bed after a nice Wednesday lie-in to find the OT thread has turned into the Rugby forum... :p

Yup, fairly big party in my mates house on Saturday night. Road Trip to Kilkenny first though for my match..

I don't know what a tracker mortgage is!
    On serious where the heck is Charlie , he got a new job or something right?

Chong wrote: »

It's too late..... We've lost him...

Was in the gym earlier on the spin bikes which faces directly onto the punch bags. Some absolute MILF in ultra tight spandex was givin it socks batin the bag. Her trainer kept makin her bend into a squat position to do some low blows. Very aesthetically pleasing! :D

And to top it off the physio now says I haven't torn anything in my quad so only three weeks out cause it's a strain. W00t!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Where the hell is Mr Al these days. Is he still off recording that seminal album of his?

grand-da died on Sunday morning, removal on monday, funeral yesterday. hence me not being around really.

I've still been keeping an odd eye on proceedings to make sure you're all behaving though.

Neil-good news about the quote.

Was in the gym earlier on the spin bikes which faces directly onto the punch bags. Some absolute MILF in ultra tight spandex was givin it socks batin the back. Her trainer kept makin her bend into a squat position to do some low blows. Very aesthetically pleasing! :D

And to top it off the physio now says I haven't torn anything in my quad so only three weeks out cause it's a strain. W00t!

That sounds like the Best Wednesday ever... :p

Btw loving the new sig Xavi

Mr Alan wrote: »
    grand-da died on Sunday morning, removal on monday, funeral yesterday. hence me not being around really.

I've still been keeping an odd eye on proceedings to make sure you're all behaving though.

Sorry to hear that man

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that man, Condolences.

Sorry to hear that Al , harsh stuff.

Sorry to hear that Al. Hope you're alright.

Yea but after the events of last week he's lyin low for a while.

Yea but after the events of last week he's lyin low for a while.
    Ah ya but he will be welcomed back in to the bosom of the Soccer OT thread!

Newcastle have no representation.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that, Al

Ah ya but he will be welcomed back in to the bosom of the Soccer OT thread!

Newcastle have no representation.

He knows that. It's not us!

I've no doubt he's lurking so I'll just say, how's the form charlie?! Throw me an e-mail and let me know how the jobs goin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

sorry to hesr that al...

btw i demand someone vote for me as poster who left too early as its def too early not banned, not by choice just my computer cant log into boards from the moment i pass the boleyn ground (Upton Park) on the tube to go home. im at work now so expect to see a string of posts from me for the next while till people realise im not making leson plans in here for the lil snits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Huzzah, finally got a job interview on Monday. :)

Condolences to you Alan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

sorry to hear Al, that sucks.

Thanks everyone.

On a lighter note; i just ate two cajun chicken and cheese wraps, little sick :pac:

Thanks everyone.

On a lighter note; i just ate two cajun chicken and cheese wraps, little sick :pac:

Two? Two? That's not light Al, that's calorific

now I'm hungry :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

im feckin starving1 they are having a pampering day at the school im working at for all the staff and parents and they are cooking loads of pizzas... god the smell wofting down the hallway! being the only guy that works here though im going to nip out in a bit and not return.

im feckin starving1 they are having a pampering day at the school im working at for all the staff and parents and they are cooking loads of pizzas... god the smell wofting down the hallway! being the only guy that works here though im going to nip out in a bit and not return.

:( email me a slice? or better yet, attach some here, so we can all have some.

God if only life were that simple. Come on Mr Gates, Mr Jobs - Get the fingers out!

• Advertisement

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=356185163

the two tracks we were recording a few weeks ago are up here if anyone is interested (first one aint mastered yet)

"The Evora"-thats us.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=356185163

the two tracks we were recording a few weeks ago are up here if anyone is interested (first one aint mastered yet)

"The Evora"-thats us.

I have to say it , I like it Al, good track.

Very cool chilled out type track, what you do in the band , are ya on vocals?

yea. which are ya talking about the first or second one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

"The Evora"-thats us.
    Not bad at all.

yea. which are ya talking about the first or second one?

I think both are class.:cool:

I'll check out the benns, i mean the evora ;) tracks when I get home my good man.

"The Evora"-thats us.
    Fair play Alan.

You've honestly got two cracking little songs there.

Where did the band name The Evora come from?

we couldnt find a name for ages and ages and ages and ages-so we could never agree on a name,i dont really thinks it very important, but we wanted something we all agreed on and we all live on the same road, which has Evora in its name. done and done.

we couldnt find a name for ages and ages and ages and ages-so we could never agree on a name,i dont really thinks it very important, but we wanted something we all agreed on and we all live on the same road, which has Evora in its name. done and done.
    Ah right, yeah I remember you looking for abit of advice on a name awhile ago in here. I was just wondering that if the name had anything to do with the Lotus Evora - :)

lotus-evora_1.jpg

Its not a bad name imo, I would personally leave out "The" and just go with Evora. Anyways best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

never even heard of the car.

evora is a place in Portugal afaik.

sweet looking car though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement