Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread & Off Topic Thread II - Collectors Edition Bumper Pack

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Yea I should have let that hang for a bit and let you think of what would need to be cleaned after a game of football......

gucci wrote: »
    I used to love Soundgarden,(and obviously RATM as mentioned before) and i loved Audioslaves first album, seen them live just after they released it and it was an awesome gig. But they never really progressed as a band, and it looked like they were just in it for the cash and not a long term deal to be honest, especially when they didnt tour with their 2nd or 3rd album (forget which!)

Their 3rd. Dont under rate their second album, that was a more mature effort than the first one. I loved both, the last was more hit and miss though.

gucci wrote:
    Is he really a good singer though? Pearl jam are great, and they have an great sound, but how many of his songs have you had to listen to about 29 times before you understood a few lines of it? Far be it for me to critisise the man, but some of his singing is very muffly, which is obviously his style. I focking love Corduroy and Alive, ah feck if i started listing off songs id be here for a while.

Yea he is. Ever heard the version on Love Reign O'er Me by the Who? Class act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

PSI wrote: »
    cleats? you know, the shoes you wear for soccer? The parts that grip the grass? spikes or studs??

I never heard that word in my life. Ever
    We have a machine that automatically cleans them.
    Hmm, that is nice. I suppose.
    ?? is that gaelic?

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

back off topic, Chris Cornell's solo album, in particular his Billie Jean cover, is quite tragic.
    DesF wrote: »
    I never heard that word in my life. Ever
    What do you call them?

Nope.

I though pog meant kiss?

What does it mean then?

What do you call them?
    Studs, but some boots have blades now.
    I though pog meant kiss?
    These are pogs

alfpogs.jpg

Póg = kiss.

It's pronounced like you'd say Pogue.
    What does it mean then?

It means

Pics or gtfo.

I was referring to the sauna nakedness of females.

back off topic, Chris Cornell's solo album, in particular his Billie Jean cover, is quite tragic.

What do you call them?

I though pog meant kiss?

What does it mean then?

That'd be póg with a fada!

Ive only heard the covers of "Billie Jean" and Bob Marleys "Redemption Song" which is incidently one of my favourite songs ever (the Marley one)

Chris Cornell sings Billie Jean?

What?

Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Lads how many cups of tea would you drink during the working day??

5 maybe 6. Man i need to get my teeth whitened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Its only gonna get worse, Timbaland is producing Cornell now, so expect him to be singing two lines of a song to a drum/bass backing track featuring some tart "singing" a catchy chorus every 24 seconds.

• Advertisement

Studs, but some boots have blades now.

I've only ever had blade shaped cleats. At least since high school.
    Póg = kiss.

It's pronounced like you'd say Pogue.

How would I say pogue? what does that mean?

is it Pawg-u?

Pics or gtfo.

I was referring to the sauna nakedness of females.

gtfo?

Did people start speaking another language while I was away?

Dun laoire wrote: »

Im on my 3rd, started work at 730.........but actually only starting work now....whoops!

Chris Cornell sings Billie Jean?

What?

Jesus.

In work and was late this mornin so cant push it and do it for u but type cornell billie jean and its there. Besides the lyrics its a completely different song. Acoustic guitar and vocals.

is it Pawg-u?
    Like the way Homer Simpsons says "D'oh", its "P'oh-geh"

In work and was late this mornin so cant push it and do it for u but type cornell billie jean and its there. Besides the lyrics its a completely different song.

It is bad. The whole album is bland and dull.

I take back what I said about British Pop rock, I really like Supergrass who I am going to see soon.
    Like the way Homer Simpsons says "D'oh", its "P'oh-geh"

Ahh thanks. I just got a personal lesson here from a very drunk Irishman :) I even know a Pogue song it seems. A typically Irish christmas carol about being drunk and abusive which probably isn't played anywhere outside of Irish bars and Ireland.

I've only ever had blade shaped cleats. At least since high school.

These are studs.

wc78.jpg

is it Pawg-u?
    You heard of Shane McGowan? His band was called The Pogues.

Maybe Poge is a better representation.

Ho do you say League? Leag-u? Obviously not.

So, Pogue.

It is an anglicisation of the Irish Gaelic work Póg, the accent over the "o", called a "fada" makes the vowel sound a bit longer. Póg means kiss.

It amazes me that you have Irish family members and don't know how to pronounce that word tbh.

• Advertisement

It is bad. The whole album is bland and dull.

I take back what I said about British Pop rock, I really like Supergrass who I am going to see soon.

I gave no opinion on it, I described it. Its a bit chessy but more just dull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

A woman scanned the guests at a party and spotted an
    attractive man standing alone. She approached him.

'My name is Carmen,' she told him.

'That's a beautiful name,' he replied, 'Is it a family name?'

'No,' she replied. 'I gave it to myself. It reflects the things
    I like most -- cars and men.'

'What's your name?' she asked.

He said, 'B. J. Titsengolf

You heard of Shane McGowan? His band was called The Pogues.
    I had previously heard one of their songs, didn't remember any names.

It is an anglicisation of the Irish Gaelic work Póg, the accent over the "o", called a "fada" makes the vowel sound a bit longer. Póg means kiss.

I know how to pronounce Póg with the accent, but the band name didn't have an accent and people don't always use them on boards so alot of times I'm not sure if people are typing text speak or gaelic.
    It amazes me that you have Irish family members and don't know how to pronounce that word tbh.

Well now, as much as you think that american's all love you Irish, I happen to have my own cultural heritage which pre-dates yours by a couple of thousand years ;). If ANY language would be dominant it would be mine :) As a compromise, the common language in our household is English :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

lawl.
    Thanks for the support!
    He's not really banned.
    True, you're just a music nazi. Where've you been btw.

/Godwin

Well now, as much as you think that american's all love you Irish, I happen to have my own cultural heritage which pre-dates yours by a couple of thousand years ;). If ANY language would be dominant it would be mine :) As a compromise, the common language in our household is English :)

No, no, no. I wasn't getting at that. Jaysis. I wasn't saying we're better than youse. Heh.

Hardly anyone speaks As Gaeilge (that means "in irish" in irish :) (oss gwayl-geh)) in Ireland anyway (to our shame I might add), it's just certain phrases would be well known (among the Irish diaspora). Like Póg mo Thóin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I do find it amusing that many of the girls who are shy in the locker room go naked in the sauna.

Note to self - hit the sauna next time I go to the gym.

Cheers for the Pog reference Des! :D

Sherifu wrote: »
    True, you're just a music nazi. Where've you been btw.
    I'm all kinds of Nazi.

I've been reading mostly. I'm considering my position on boards at the moment. I'm trying to decide if it is a time suck.

Actually, I changed work rotation so I could start playing for a senior amateur (or minor league) soccer team and I've been busy with that.
    DesF wrote:
    Hardly anyone speaks As Gaeilge (that means "in irish" in irish (oss gwayl-geh)) in Ireland anyway (to our shame I might add), it's just certain phrases would be well known (among the Irish diaspora). Like Póg mo Thóin.

I know that phrase. I'd never pick up gaelic though, it is waaaay to fast (I hardly understand when you guys speak english) and to be honest, any time I'm in a room with more than a couple of Irish people, my memory goes fuzzy.... startling coincidence.
    Xavi6 wrote:
    Note to self - hit the sauna next time I go to the gym

Dude! you're such a pervert! The sauna isn't coed.

He's planning on crossdressing to get in, I think he'll pull it off.

Actually, I changed work rotation so I could start playing for a senior amateur (or minor league) soccer team and I've been busy with that.
    Sounds cool.
    He's planning on crossdressing to get in, I think he'll pull it off.
    For sure he will.

I'm all kinds of Nazi.
    And a commie. How do you juggle that then?
    I've been reading mostly. I'm considering my position on boards at the moment. I'm trying to decide if it is a time suck.
    Don't you go anywhere.
    Changed work to play ball? Impressive.

I know that phrase. I'd never pick up gaelic though, it is waaaay to fast
    Hard to learn too.

An bfhuil tú go maith? On will tew guh mah

bfh = a "w" sound. WHAT?!

I was an excellent speaker of the language until I was 12, then I moved to the senior school cycle, and for the first three years of that my Irish teacher was a Christian Brother in his 60s, who's idea of teaching was a knuckle to the head if you hadn't learned off the poems. Prick.

One of my best friends is a fluent speaker, and I can hold a basic conversation with her sometimes.
    (I hardly understand when you guys speak english) and to be honest, any time I'm in a room with more than a couple of Irish people, my memory goes fuzzy.... startling coincidence.
    :pac:

Drill a hole in the wall so.

Are all my dreams going to be shattered today? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

What up fockers? :)

Changed work to play ball? Impressive.
    Well I have minions in work these days so I can come and go as I please. It is really only wednesday and thursday evenings and saturdays mornings I need off, which is reasonable. But that is when I tended to be on boards.ie.

I was an excellent speaker of the language until I was 12, then I moved to the senior school cycle, and for the first three years of that my Irish teacher was a Christian Brother in his 60s, who's idea of teaching was a knuckle to the head if you hadn't learned off the poems. Prick.

I've heard about that (and not just from the movies) it seems to be a reoccurring conversation among drunk Irish guys. That would never happen here.
    Drill a hole in the wall so
    You know, you're not much better than Xavi (but you're still better) on the pervert thing.

On a related note, when did "I'm tired so if you really want to do something we can watch a movie at my place" become "spend 2 hours figuring out the best way to slyly feel you up in the hope you'll stop watching the movie and get naked"?

On a related note, when did "I'm tired so if you really want to do something we can watch a movie at my place" become "spend 2 hours figuring out the best way to slyly feel you up in the hope you'll stop watching the movie and get naked"?
    The hero! Get a feel did he?!

I've heard about that (and not just from the movies) it seems to be a reoccurring conversation among drunk Irish guys. That would never happen here.
    I resent the insinuation that I'm drunk.

You know, you're not much better than Xavi (but you're still better) on the pervert thing.
    thanks
    What do you mean "when". It's always been that. For ever.

It used to be "I'm tired so if you really want to do something we can watch a fire at my cave" said by Oggette, but really Ogg would be thinking "spend 2 hours figuring out the best way to slyly feel you up in the hope you'll stop watching the fire and get out of the loincloth"

• Advertisement

One of my best friends is a fluent speaker, and I can hold a basic conversation with her sometimes.
    Thats the way man, keep it real, the more you practice the more you'll be amazed what comes back to ya (even if it is quoting poetry :) )

I resent the insinuation that I'm drunk.
    I wasnt talking about you. You don't drink alcohol.
    What do you mean "when". It's always been that. For ever.

It used to be "I'm tired so if you really want to do something we can watch a fire at my cave" said by Oggette, but really Ogg would be thinking "spend 2 hours figuring out the best way to slyly feel you up in the hope you'll stop watching the fire and get out of the loincloth"

Obviously I'm letting my standards fall to neanderthals then.
    Xavi6 wrote:
    The hero! Get a feel did he?!

No, I saw the creeping hand and decided I was too tired to deal with company and left.

Sherifu wrote: »

Didnt George Best once have a goal like that disallowed?

He was tired, but u made him perk up, so to speak, take it as a compliment tbh

I think so. Most recent one I remember was Henry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Best's was abit more cheeky tbh! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Psi, what the bejesus is this about leaving? Time to prioritise I think;
    1. Soccer
    2. Boards.ie
    3. Medical work type thing (im not entirely sure what is it but pretty sure it falls in there somewhere).

ergo, if anything should be lessoned or dropped it should be 3, leaving more time for activities 1 and 2. Can't fight the maths!

(im aware there are no maths involved, sticking in a few numbers just make anything look more logical)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

morning folks.

have a nicely needed day off today.

for anyone out the northside may i recommend the country kitchen deli in howth village for a truely wonderful lunch. hmmmm

• Advertisement

I've a day off booked in for Friday \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Mr Alan wrote: »
    morning folks.

for anyone out the northside may i recommend the country kitchen deli in howth village for a truely wonderful lunch. hmmmm

1) Its the afternoon
    2) Get to work.
    3) I would never go near the northside.

morning folks.

U took that bebo day after all did ya?!!

i must book a random day off soon, had to take the day off 2 fridays ago, to go to london, and a halfer last friday to go to belfast but i want a day off to just chill out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Dun laoire wrote: »

"I was to have my teeth whitened. But then I said, "fuck that. I'll just get a tan instead." :D

Anyone else love Mitch Hedberg?

on the bebo boards soccer thing, who the **** is who?

i know who Des,the two neils,alan murphy(that one was tough) and bryan are.

but who is....damo,barry and mark?

and why oh why hasnt El Cucho joined?!

You only getting in now Al?

• Advertisement

no no, only out of bed a little while. just take it easy for the day.

no no, only out of bed a little while. just take it easy for the day.

Day off?

Jaysis it's well for some on a Wednesday.

The again, some people don't actually need to work every day.

Recession eh? Won't be hitting your little house on the hill will it?

on the bebo boards soccer thing, who the **** is who?

i know who Des,the two neils,alan murphy(that one was tough) and bryan are.

but who is....damo,barry and mark?

and why oh why hasnt El Cucho joined?!

Tis MrJoeSoap

it most certainly wont Des :)

i have flexi time in work, i can take a day and a half a month off that isnt taken from my holidays if i have the correct time built up.

i have flexi time in work, i can take a day and a half a month off that isnt taken from my holidays if i have the correct time built up.

Ah, good aul flexi.

I used to have that in the Civil Service years ago, but I left there.

Wish I didn't now though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement