Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread & Off Topic Thread II - Collectors Edition Bumper Pack

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

GuanYin wrote: »
    Highbrow conversation in Soccer????!? :eek:

What have I done?

I see one of several options here:

1. Christian scholars ripped off alot of Buddah's life story and attributed it to Jesus
    2. Jesus (in the 30 years he went AWOL) studdied in the east, or at least eastern philosophy and people mistakenly attributed the stories he told to him.
    3. Jesus and Buddha read the same "How to be a deity" handbook and had very similar lives as a result.

Even some of the "wisdom of Jesus" is taken straight from buddhist teachings.

Shut it n00b

Who are ya? Who are ya? Who are ya? :p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Mr Alan wrote: »
    the interesting part of it i find is the fact that the mans life who is remarkably similar to Jesus did not die on the cross, but instead survived and returned to Kashmir. Christianity only exists because of Jesus' ressurection, if that didnt happen......well....it wouldnt exist.

Interesting note from that doc i watched; the man who offered to give Jesus his tomb after the he was was crucified (Joseph Of Arimathea) iirc, was the same same man who enbalmed (correct term?) him after he was removed from the cross.
    He was laid out in the tomb and embalmed before the tomb was closed over and he "ressurected". The funny thing about it is that the oils and ointments and stuff listed in the bible that he brought to the tomb were not actually embalming oils, they were for medicinal purposes......:eek:

That wasnt a documentary. That was Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

There's quite a good book on the topic, its called "Jesus Lived In India", very interesting, worth a read. I have it around here somewhere, will take a look for the authors name.

<edit>
    Here it is on Amazon

And here's some more info on it;
    http://www.sol.com.au/kor/7_01.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    There's quite a good book on the topic, its called "Jesus Lived In India", very interesting, worth a read. I have it around here somewhere, will take a look for the authors name.

<edit>
    Here it is on Amazon

And here's some more info on it;
    http://www.sol.com.au/kor/7_01.htm

lol, it has a picture of the Turin Shroud on the front.

Not very credible from the get go, imo.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Jaysus, (pun not intended) religion and politics at the door lads...

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

football forum. Off Topic Thread. Religion and Politics are off topic. Therefore this is exacly the place for em my eskimo friend ;)

Polotics?

Is that something to do with Prince Charles' nervous disposition?

Bit of an oul FAIL! in the sig there Des.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Shut it n00b

Who are ya? Who are ya? Who are ya? :p

Why are you still up?

Day time is supposed to be quiet time for the rest of us. You're only allowed out at night.

• Advertisement

DesF wrote:
    lol, it has a picture of the Turin Shroud on the front.

Not very credible from the get go, imo.

have to keep in mind the book was written 22 years ago, before the initial carbon dating was carried out. But anyway, there was new research from Oxford earlier this year (heard it on BBC radio about 4 months ago from the professor), that there has been new research which supports its original dating again, and that it appears that the initial radiocarbon dating was carried out on a part of the shroud which was not actually part of the original cloth.

But anyway, its a very interesting book, and from Al was saying about the documentary, it sounds like the book was the basis for it.

Why are you still up?

Day time is supposed to be quiet time for the rest of us. You're only allowed out at night.

I love when you try boss me around :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/cern

excellent special on Cern for anyone interested.

Large hard-on collider.

:D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/cern

excellent special on Cern for anyone interested.

Ah yes the machine that could cause the universe to implode :)

Admittedly the odds against that happening are exceptionally good.

Ah yes the machine that could cause the universe to implode :)

Admittedly the odds against that happening are exceptionally good.

There was a really good thread on this in the science forums (physics and chemistry I believe) that explained alot. I'm not quite worried yet. Although I'm wary of science that doesn't have a defined purpose. Curiosity tends to kill cats.

Xavi - I hope one day your gf stumbles on boards.ie

They're at it again :D
    Why are you still up?

I love when you try boss me around :D

love-heart.jpg

you're girlfriend stumbling onto boards may be interesting alright Xavi, maybe i should bebo her when i get home :)

Xavi - I hope one day your gf stumbles on boards.ie

3some eh? I like your style! ;)

While you're all on the topic of religion, Im gonna assume a large numebr of u gusy are baptised Catholics or Protestant but just out of curiosity how many actually practice this or consider themselves Catholic/Protestant etc?

• Advertisement

Im gonna assume a large numebr of u gusy are baptised Catholics -how many actually practice this or consider themselves Catholic/Protestant etc?

ney.

although i will probably get married in a cathloic church and baptise my kids.

funny old world.

you're girlfriend stumbling onto boards may be interesting alright Xavi, maybe i should bebo her when i get home :)

What is her name or link?

Lol nothin to hide here. Sure tis a public forum.

i couldnt do that PSI, he'd kill me :D

us boardsie-soccer-bebo-heads have to stick together :cool:

Although Des does have a link in his sig to the page :)

While you're all on the topic of religion, Im gonna assume a large numebr of u gusy are baptised Catholics or Protestant but just out of curiosity how many actually practice this or consider themselves Catholic/Protestant etc?

Very personal question :p

I'm not even a Christian

baptised catholic, but dont really practise anything (bar christmas, weddings, funerals, that sort of stuff). kind of have my own mix and match belief system a bit like karma. Essentially do what you think is the right thing to do. A lot of it comes down to morality imo, eg murder is bad, but is it bad if its self defence or to protect someone else? All relative so I think it comes down to what we think is the right thing. (No, i've never killed anyone).

As for heaven or hell, im not so sure about that, thought I do believe in a general interconnectedness of things.

There was a really good thread on this in the science forums (physics and chemistry I believe) that explained alot. I'm not quite worried yet. Although I'm wary of science that doesn't have a defined purpose. Curiosity tends to kill cats.
    I skimmed through some of it alright at the time, quite interesting indeed!

i agree about the whole curiosity killed the cat thing though, searching for answers without necessarily knowing the questions while using very large machinery all sounds a bit dodgey.

• Advertisement

"It's clear that England don't have - and won't have for a while - the
    players to get anywhere near a major tournament victory. Let's not
    waste any more dough on foreign coaches and simply give Stephen Fry
    the job. He'd charge less than Fabio or Sven and imagine how our
    lives would be brightened by his mellifluous descriptions of the
    challenges 'at this level' and his exhortations for 'more quality in
    the final third'" - Rob Jacques.

i couldnt do that PSI, he'd kill me :D

us boardsie-soccer-bebo-heads have to stick together :cool:

Although Des does have a link in his sig to the page :)

Ohhh she's prettier than I thought she'd be :)

Good choice!

Very personal question :p

I'm not even a Christian

Pardon me.

Ok to rephrase, how many still follow the religion they were brought up to follow?

Personally i was baptised catholic, my Mum is very religious, my Dad not as much. I find myself being somewhat Agnostic. i dont go to mass or practice anything but lately Ive been readin, and liking what i have read of, Buddhist concepts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Pardon me.

Ok to rephrase, how many still follow the religion they were brought up to follow?

Personally i was baptised catholic, my Mum is very religious, my Dad not as much. I find myself being somewhat Agnostic. i dont go to mass or practice anything but lately Ive been readin, and liking what i have read of, Buddhist concepts.

Reading is a tool of the devil.

Ohhh she's prettier than I thought she'd be :)

Good choice!

Hmmmm you're complimenting me on her but insulting me at the same time. Not sure whether to thank you or not.

Anyway, baptised Catholic, church goer up til about 16, now go at Christmas. Will bring my kids up in the church though then let them make their own choice.

• Advertisement

Hmmmm you're complimenting me on her but insulting me at the same time. Not sure whether to thank you or not.

Ohh, you spotted it, you're cleverer than I thought you'd be ;)

Actually, I was complimenting her, not you :p

Raised and practicing buddhist-lite.

practising atheist

as George Carlin thought me;

When it comes to bull****, big-time, major league bull****, you have to stand in awe of the all-time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims, religion. No contest. No contest. Religion. Religion easily has the greatest bull**** story ever told. Think about it. Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more. Now, you talk about a good bull**** story. Holy ****!

But I want you to know something, this is sincere, I want you to know, when it comes to believing in God, I really tried. I really, really tried. I tried to believe that there is a God, who created each of us in His own image and likeness, loves us very much, and keeps a close eye on things. I really tried to believe that, but I gotta tell you, the longer you live, the more you look around, the more you realize, something is ****ed up.

Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed. Results like these do not belong on the résumé of a Supreme Being. This is the kind of **** you'd expect from an office temp with a bad attitude. And just between you and me, in any decently-run universe, this guy would've been out on his all-powerful ass a long time ago. And by the way, I say "this guy", because I firmly believe, looking at these results, that if there is a God, it has to be a man.

No woman could or would ever **** things up like this. So, if there is a God, I think most reasonable people might agree that he's at least incompetent, and maybe, just maybe, doesn't give a ****. Doesn't give a ****, which I admire in a person, and which would explain a lot of these bad results.

So rather than be just another mindless religious robot, mindlessly and aimlessly and blindly believing that all of this is in the hands of some spooky incompetent father figure who doesn't give a ****, I decided to look around for something else to worship. Something I could really count on.

And immediately, I thought of the sun. Happened like that. Overnight I became a sun-worshipper. Well, not overnight, you can't see the sun at night. But first thing the next morning, I became a sun-worshipper. Several reasons. First of all, I can see the sun, okay? Unlike some other gods I could mention, I can actually see the sun. I'm big on that. If I can see something, I don't know, it kind of helps the credibility along, you know? So everyday I can see the sun, as it gives me everything I need; heat, light, food, flowers in the park, reflections on the lake, an occasional skin cancer, but hey. At least there are no crucifixions, and we're not setting people on fire simply because they don't agree with us.

Sun worship is fairly simple. There's no mystery, no miracles, no pageantry, no one asks for money, there are no songs to learn, and we don't have a special building where we all gather once a week to compare clothing. And the best thing about the sun, it never tells me I'm unworthy. Doesn't tell me I'm a bad person who needs to be saved. Hasn't said an unkind word. Treats me fine. So, I worship the sun. But, I don't pray to the sun. Know why? I wouldn't presume on our friendship. It's not polite.

I've often thought people treat God rather rudely, don't you? Asking trillions and trillions of prayers every day. Asking and pleading and begging for favors. Do this, gimme that, I need a new car, I want a better job. And most of this praying takes place on Sunday His day off. It's not nice. And it's no way to treat a friend.

But people do pray, and they pray for a lot of different things, you know, your sister needs an operation on her crotch, your brother was arrested for defecating in a mall. But most of all, you'd really like to **** that hot little redhead down at the convenience store. You know, the one with the eyepatch and the clubfoot? Can you pray for that? I think you'd have to. And I say, fine. Pray for anything you want. Pray for anything, but what about the Divine Plan?

Remember that? The Divine Plan. Long time ago, God made a Divine Plan. Gave it a lot of thought, decided it was a good plan, put it into practice. And for billions and billions of years, the Divine Plan has been doing just fine. Now, you come along, and pray for something. Well suppose the thing you want isn't in God's Divine Plan? What do you want Him to do? Change His plan? Just for you? Doesn't it seem a little arrogant? It's a Divine Plan. What's the use of being God if every run-down shmuck with a two-dollar prayerbook can come along and **** up Your Plan?

And here's something else, another problem you might have: Suppose your prayers aren't answered. What do you say? "Well, it's God's will." "Thy Will Be Done." Fine, but if it's God's will, and He's going to do what He wants to anyway, why the **** bother praying in the first place? Seems like a big waste of time to me! Couldn't you just skip the praying part and go right to His Will? It's all very confusing.

So to get around a lot of this, I decided to worship the sun. But, as I said, I don't pray to the sun. You know who I pray to? Joe Pesci. Two reasons: First of all, I think he's a good actor, okay? To me, that counts. Second, he looks like a guy who can get things done. Joe Pesci doesn't **** around. In fact, Joe Pesci came through on a couple of things that God was having trouble with.

For years I asked God to do something about my noisy neighbor with the barking dog, Joe Pesci straightened that cocksucker out with one visit. It's amazing what you can accomplish with a simple baseball bat.

So I've been praying to Joe for about a year now. And I noticed something. I noticed that all the prayers I used to offer to God, and all the prayers I now offer to Joe Pesci, are being answered at about the same 50% rate. Half the time I get what I want, half the time I don't. Same as God, 50-50. Same as the four-leaf clover and the horseshoe, the wishing well and the rabbit's foot, same as the Mojo Man, same as the Voodoo Lady who tells you your fortune by squeezing the goat's testicles, it's all the same: 50-50. So just pick your superstition, sit back, make a wish, and enjoy yourself.

And for those of you who look to The Bible for moral lessons and literary qualities, I might suggest a couple of other stories for you. You might want to look at the Three Little Pigs, that's a good one. Has a nice happy ending, I'm sure you'll like that. Then there's Little Red Riding Hood, although it does have that X-rated part where the Big Bad Wolf actually eats the grandmother. Which I didn't care for, by the way. And finally, I've always drawn a great deal of moral comfort from Humpty Dumpty. The part I like the best? "All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty back together again." That's because there is no Humpty Dumpty, and there is no God. None, not one, no God, never was.

In fact, I'm gonna put it this way. If there is a God, may he strike this audience dead! See? Nothing happened. Nothing happened? Everybody's okay? All right, tell you what, I'll raise the stakes a little bit. If there is a God, may he strike me dead. See? Nothing happened, oh, wait, I've got a little cramp in my leg. And my balls hurt. Plus, I'm blind. I'm blind, oh, now I'm okay again, must have been Joe Pesci, huh? God Bless Joe Pesci. Thank you all very much. Joe Bless You!

Ohh, you spotted it, you're cleverer than I thought you'd be ;)

Actually, I was complimenting her, not you :p

So it's just her you want now and not the 3some?

DesF wrote: »
    Why?
    Nah, "religion and politics at the door" is something we (mates and I) used to say if a debate about either escalated into a "heated discussion".

Religion and politics generally are regarded as best left to priests and politicians I find - two topics and don't ever have a right an wrong answer and therefore are rarely agreed upon and yet two topics a lot of people feel very strongly about.

That, and football of course, but there's no football allowed in here anyway so that's covered.

So it's just her you want now and not the 3some?

I just said she was pretty. She's a bit young and green looking for me. Not the type of girl I'd tend to find attractive, I prefer to like the more sophisticated and glamorous type.

I just said she was pretty. She's a bit young and green looking for me. Not the type of girl I'd tend to find attractive, I prefer to like the more sophisticated and glamorous type.

So you're saying she's not sophisticated and glamorous? :mad: This conversation is over.

So you're saying she's not sophisticated and glamorous? :mad: This conversation is over.

I'm saying she's too young to be as sophisticated and glamorous as I find interesting:)

I was baptised a Catholic, but I'm not practicing. And I don't call myself a Catholic any more. For reasons I won't go into here.

Only time I'm in a church is if my friends decide to get married in one, or at funerals.

I think it's hilarious watching everyone looking at everyone else for the right actions to do. Kneel down, stand up, cross your arms, lick your thumb, sit down, kneel up, stand up, left leg in, left leg out, in, out, in, out, shake it all about.

Reading is a tool of the devil.
    Reading are the best team in The Championship, and will continue to be until Hunty leaves.

If my Ma asks I'm a cathoholic. But like most others on here I only visit church on the 'Big 4' - Christmas, Christenings, Weddings, Funerals.

how do i find the spurs subforum?! cant seem to remember :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Hosted --> Sports --> Spurs Supporters Club.

Voila!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=837

Its in Hosted/Sports/Spurs Supporters Club

off to see Massive Attack now, Yay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

off to see Massive Attack now, Yay!

I'm so jealous:( Was watching Glastonbury the other night, they were fantastic, would love to see them live. Enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

This is England on tv now...class!

But like most others on here I only visit church on the 'Big 4' - Christmas, Christenings, Weddings, Funerals.

pfft.

There's no way they can be considered the "Big 4".

Christenings?

I compare kids to being like CLUB X, only around the place a wet weekend, rich daddy splashing the cash for a nice day out, but ultimately no reward as the kid starts crying when nothing goes their way.

Weddings?

Again, no way. Quick trip to the church in the morning, then what? A priest hanging around a party all day bringing the tone right down, only to stick his head up later on in procedings to make a speach? And don't get me started on pre-marital courses. That's like a supporter of CLUB Y giving a new player at a big club advice, when CLUB Y haven't been near a trophy in fifty years.

Christmas and Funeral's are a given, of course.

I propose Easter to replace at least one of your options. A Forty Day run-in to the big prize at the end. No Contest.

I freely admit, there is only a certain level of idiot I can deal with before I get bitchy.

that was a bit out of the blue GuanYin....care to share?

morning people :)

I freely admit, there is only a certain level of idiot I can deal with before I get bitchy.

Stop sullying this forum with such claims. :pac:

• Advertisement

that was a bit out of the blue GuanYin....care to share?

morning people :)

I'm not at liberty to share. He knows who he is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement