Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread & Off Topic Thread II - Collectors Edition Bumper Pack

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

*stalks facebook*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I'm unsearchable on facebook :)

Plus I've used my "American" name, which you guys don't know ;)

What is an "American" name?

DesF wrote: »

Oh, I have my real name and then I have a name that I use so the white folk have something to refer to me as, that they can pronounce. Most asians here do it.

I'm very accommodating :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Like the way the Asians in McDonald's in Ireland are always called Bob, Andy, Lucy etc? Cool.

Do you get to pick it yourself? 'Max Power' ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Landon Haskel is about as american as a name can get if you ask me

GuanYin wrote: »
    Oh, I have my real name and then I have a name that I use so the white folk have something to refer to me as, that they can pronounce. Most asians here do it.
    Oh that. I've noticed plenty do it here too.

It kind of annoys me.
    I'm very accommodating :)

I don't think you should be.
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Like the way the Asians in McDonald's in Ireland are always called Bob, Andy, Lucy etc? Cool.

Yeah, that.

Here's why I don't like it. And I'm not having a go at you here GY.

Why should anyone have to change their name, for jaysis sake? Fair enough, maybe I can't pronounce all the Asian phonemes, but I could give it a damn good try, same as if I went to Asia, I wouldn't expect people there be able to pronounce my name exactly correctly, but as close as they can is good enough for me.

Also, it seems to me that when someone does this, they are saying "Oh these whiteys, too dumb to even try to say my name properly, so I'll just use some random "western" name". Huh?

Xavi6 wrote: »

Do you get to pick it yourself? 'Max Power' ftw

No unfortunately I didn't pick it. Depending on the culture and tradition usually a grandparent or uncle picks it and they seem to be very unimaginative. I have one of the 5-6 common names for asian-americans.

I do count myself lucky tho, the amount of friends I have named Jennifer or Karen.

Karen.

wtf is wrong with Karen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Karen is obiously Bettys aul ones name?

morning folks.

I have have to take up this facebook lark

Here's why I don't like it. And I'm not having a go at you here GY.

Why should anyone have to change their name, for jaysis sake? Fair enough, maybe I can't pronounce all the Asian phonemes, but I could give it a damn good try, same as if I went to Asia, I wouldn't expect people there be able to pronounce my name exactly correctly, but as close as they can is good enough for me.

Also, it seems to me that when someone does this, they are saying "Oh these whiteys, too dumb to even try to say my name properly, so I'll just use some random "western" name". Huh?

Welllllll I don't particularly like it either and it is funny that the Irish guys I know all ask me my "real name" when I'm introduced. Americans though, they don't think like that. The only people who ask your non-american name here are other asians.

Americans are a bit like the French stereotype when it comes to things being done their way. Most people here don't even realise that there are places in the US where spanish is spoken more than English, it is an ignorance.

Regarding the "whitey being too dumb", I don't believe that is the case, I believe here it is "too lazy" maybe. It is just something European Americans never consider. I've had partners who never even knew or thought to ask, even though they must have heard people call me by my name.

I also think that Asian-americans try to fit in more than other minorities here and it is the only reason that racial prejudices against us are far less than those of african americans, hispanics and latinos.

Its a sad backwards world :(

Facebook is for fags.
    You heard it here first!

wtf is wrong with Karen?

You and Xavi are soooo sensitive about your lady friends :)

Nothing is wrong with Karen, bar that it is a very stereotypical name for asian americans and of my friends, I know maybe 15 Karens and 20 Jennifers! My name isn't much better, but it isn't quite Jen or Karen.

You and Xavi are soooo sensitive about your lady friends :)

Nothing is wrong with Karen, bar that it is a very stereotypical name for asian americans and of my friends, I know maybe 15 Karens and 20 Jennifers! My name isn't much better, but it isn't quite Jen or Karen.

Is it Ken or Jaren?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Gonna hit 35 degrees today B-)

• Advertisement

Why can't I upload a profile picture if the size of the file is correct?

Why can't I upload a profile picture if the size of the file is correct?

Is it to Boards, or Facebook?

Is the file type accepted?

it should be a .jpg probably, is it a .jpg?

I have a 100*88 jpeg that is 24k for boards

I'm having problems too uploading a smaller sized image.

To Helpdesk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Something funky has been happening with some peoples' profile pics since the downtime on sunday. Also, I think 19k is the limit isn't it?

• Advertisement

I'm having problems too uploading a smaller sized image.

To Helpdesk!
    They seem to be broken/disabled since the site went down Sunday. There's a thread about it in subscribers.

My avatar is still working :)

My avatar is still working :)
    Mine was b0rked. :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I always saw it as them wanting to blend in a lot better - not so much that we're too dumb to get their name but an effort by them to feel more intergrated and accepted in a new country slightly quicker.

Yesterday I found there is a photo of my on facebook wearing only a dress made out of toilet tissue.

:eek::eek:

Oh my! We should definitely be facebook firends! Itll make us appear to be very popular u know!! :P

:pac:
    IrishMike wrote: »
    Facebook is for fags.
    You heard it here first!

homophobic incitment of hatred...ban! :pac::pac::pac:

Al facebook is more "mature" than bebo but if u dont like applications Id steer clear!!

:pac:

homophobic incitment of hatred...ban! :pac::pac::pac:

Al facebook is more "mature" than bebo but if u dont like applications Id steer clear!!

In fairness Al is attracted to the more mature things in life :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I never got the 'facebook is mature' thing. It's the exact same thing as bebo only the colours are less bright and the apps more mindnumbing. I like Feng Shui-ing my bebo. I only have facebook for the mates I have outside of Ireland.

Kold wrote: »
    I never got the 'facebook is mature' thing. It's the exact same thing as bebo only the colours are less bright and the apps more mindnumbing. I like Feng Shui-ing my bebo. I only have facebook for the mates I have outside of Ireland.

Less emphasis on how many times your profile has been viewed and how many people "Share the Luv"

Less emphasis on how many times your profile has been viewed and how many people "Share the Luv"

Ah it's like the bajillion friends on Myspace or the App for every single insecurity you may harbour on Facebook. Only a few eejits care.

• Advertisement

Kold wrote: »
    Ah it's like the bajillion friends on Myspace or the App for every single insecurity you may harbour on Facebook. Only a few eejits care.

LOL yea I know wat ya mean. Its always the same planks who send me their apps.....

Traveller IQ is fun though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

Hello there ladies and gents. Three cheers for no rain today (so far) awahoo!!

Traveller IQ is fun though.

How many of your sisters have you shagged?

a) 1 boss
    b) 2 boss
    c) 3 boss
    d) 4 boss
    e) I married three of them boss

a) 1 boss
    b) 2 boss
    c) 3 boss
    d) 4 boss

that's class, had to read it a couple of times tho :pac:

a) 1 boss
    b) 2 boss
    c) 3 boss
    d) 4 boss

In true boards style:
    THAT'S RACIST!

The only racists are the people who shout that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

a) 1 boss
    b) 2 boss
    c) 3 boss
    d) 4 boss

reported :pac:

Hello there ladies and gents. Three cheers for no rain today (so far) awahoo!!

Good afternoon, dont u be jinxin it now ya hear!

a) 1 boss
    b) 2 boss
    c) 3 boss
    d) 4 boss

Haha! Epic!! If only facebooks traveller IQ was like that! Itd be a national incident!!

we'd have to add it to the boardsie bebo page!

• Advertisement

Good afternoon, dont u be jinxin it now ya hear!

I know yeah just as I posted that, it feckin clouded over outside. Am off on my hols at the weekend so I suppose I can put up with the crap weather for a few more days...

I know yeah just as I posted that, it feckin clouded over outside. Am off on my hols at the weekend so I suppose I can put up with the crap weather for a few more days...

Im blamin u cos its bloody windy and gettin cloudy here all of a sudden!!

Where ya off to on hols?!

Results out on Thursday so once I find out how many repeats im doin I can decide on hols :( Lucky the boss is away so I can wait a while before I have to tell him I need time off to repeat!! :P

Ah now, c'mon we've had crap weather since late May!!! Am off to Corfu we've booked a villa for a fortninght. First sun holiday in two years so can't wait. Actually can hardly sleep at night I'm so excited about it. Sad but true.
    Good luck with your results. I remember the last few days before they were out, I used to be sh!tting it. Yuck, not meaning to make you feel bad but could never see myself doing exams again. Nasty work :D

Does any one else read her posts with an annoying Cork female accent going on in their heads?

I do, and it's making me stabby.

Does any one else read her posts with an annoying Cork female accent going on in their heads?

Ouch :(

I'll have you know I have a very neutral accent. I only get all Cork and loud after too much drink

Ah now, c'mon we've had crap weather since late May!!! Am off to Corfu we've booked a villa for a fortninght. First sun holiday in two years so can't wait. Actually can hardly sleep at night I'm so excited about it. Sad but true.
    Good luck with your results. I remember the last few days before they were out, I used to be sh!tting it. Yuck, not meaning to make you feel bad but could never see myself doing exams again. Nasty work :D

Yea but I thought today was different!! Actually not so fast, suns back out, wind died down....happy days!! :D

Ah nothing better than a Greek island, was in Ios last summer, loved it,. Cofu is meant to be great though. Im sure you'll enjoy it! Have one for us boardsies killin our days work on here!!

Thanks, Ill be doin well to only fail 2, they were pretty hard. Im not sh1ttin it cos Im pretty certain I know how they went already!! :pac::pac: Ah i thought that when I finished college and then I got this job and yep, another 3 years of exams......***Pulls out hair*** I actually said when I left UCD Library on the last day "Ill never set foot in this place again" and low and behold I was walking through its entrance less than 4 months later :(

Im definitely shaggin off around the world after this!! I think Ive earned it!!:cool:

• Advertisement

Its the "location" that makes me worry! And part of the sig, the other parts of the sig are heroic though!

Ouch :(

I'll have you know I have a very neutral accent. I only get all Cork and loud after too much drink

Ugggh...:( Suppose "Dub and loud", "Cavan and loud" they can all be bad I guess, still...my ears!! :pac:

Yea but I thought today was different!! Actually not so fast, suns back out, wind died down....happy days!! :D

Ah nothing better than a Greek island, was in Ios last summer, loved it,. Cofu is meant to be great though. Im sure you'll enjoy it! Have one for us boardsies killin our days work on here!!

Thanks, Ill be doin well to only fail 2, they were pretty hard. Im not sh1ttin it cos Im pretty certain I know how they went already!! :pac::pac: Ah i thought that when I finished college and then I got this job and yep, another 3 years of exams......***Pulls out hair*** I actually said when I left UCD Library on the last day "Ill never set foot in this place again" and low and behold I was walking through its entrance less than 4 months later :(

Im definitely shaggin off around the world after this!! I think Ive earned it!!:cool:

Yeah a dose of travelling will knock those exams blues outta u for sure!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i do that thing where i read the bints posts in a cork acccent too :cool:

nightmare afternoon. i'm gonna shoot someone in here today.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

There wasn't one single sentence in that piece about her hols that ended with the word "like".

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i do that thing where i read the bints posts in a cork acccent too :cool:

nightmare afternoon. i'm gonna shoot someone in here today.

I read yours with your lovely voice in my head!! :eek::eek::eek:

If your gonna actually go through on that i can suggest some candidates for u!! :P

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement