Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT on Privatley Bought English Reg Car

Options
  • 12-03-2008 8:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I was wondering does anybody know what the VRT is on buying a English registered car from a private seller here in Ireland?

I'm looking at a couple of 2ltr Diesel Vectras. Am I right in thinking that the rate is 29%? Is that on the sale price or on the "book" price?

For example if the car was being sold for 6000 is the 29% on that? So after paying the tax on it it would bring it up to 7740?

Is that right?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

No it's a set % of the OMSP go to www.ros.ie and check it yourself

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I could be wrong here but doesn't the original importer need to VRT the car himself?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

The original importer should pay the vrt by the next working day. I bought a 2 ltr avensis that had been in the country for months. VRT'd it in Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I could be wrong here but doesn't the original importer need to VRT the car himself?

IF it's on English plates then the government arent going to know when it came into the country and hence who the original importer was so.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Ay Cee wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I was wondering does anybody know what the VRT is on buying a English registered car from a private seller here in Ireland?

I'm looking at a couple of 2ltr Diesel Vectras. Am I right in thinking that the rate is 29%? Is that on the sale price or on the "book" price?

For example if the car was being sold for 6000 is the 29% on that? So after paying the tax on it it would bring it up to 7740?

Is that right?

Thanks in advance.

Just be careful m8. "Private" sellers very rarely import cars for resale.
    Probably a dealer and if hes masquerading as private might have 1 or 2 things to hide.
    Always get a HPI report for an import.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Churchy wrote: »
    Always get a HPI report for an import.
    Arent they quite expensive though?

I fyou import a car, do you have to NCT it if its a 00, and tax it, even if it has tax and MOT in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

WHY , WHY, OOOOHHH Why do you want to line someone else's pockets with your hard earned???

As Churchy rightly said before"Private" sellers very rarely import cars for resale. Sterling is weak at the mo.
    Get on autotrader.co.uk, source a car, fly over, insect well, hpi the car,haggle hard and get yourself a bargain and drive it home and pay the vrt yourself.
    You'll save a packet, get a great car and have a break away in the uk to boot (change of scenery). I love doing it - its an adventure and saves me a packet!

I fyou import a car, do you have to NCT it if its a 00, and tax it, even if it has tax and MOT in the UK.

Get one with a recent or "long" MOT and then it should lash through the NCT here.
    Also, if the car has Tax in the uk, tell the owner its no good to you, and they can keep it (reclaim it back) and take it off the price off the car!!!!

SAVE, SAVE, SAVE!!!:pac: LOL

Get one with a recent or "long" MOT and then it should lash through the NCT here.
    Also, if the car has Tax in the uk, tell the owner its no good to you, and they can keep it (reclaim it back) and take it off the price off the car!!!!

Should have asked this question last week!

never mind.........bet you still got a good deal!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

I'm told theres a link off ebay motors for a hpi report for as low as £5stg.

If your a regular motors poster I might do one for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

They're a hell of a lot cheaper than finding out after handing over your money that your car is owned by a finance company or was an insurance write off.

RAC.co.uk were doing HPI checks for £5.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Great advice! I'll have to remember that next time I get a new car.

Churchy wrote: »
    I'm told theres a link off ebay motors for a hpi report for as low as £5stg.

If your a regular motors poster I might do one for free.
    Cheers, I won`t ask you to though.
    Biro wrote: »
    They're a hell of a lot cheaper than finding out after handing over your money that your car is owned by a finance company or was an insurance write off.

RAC.co.uk were doing HPI checks for £5.
    That`s a good point, I really should have done this, will take a look at that website though cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Gray

One thing to remember about VRT is that is based on what the Revenue say the car is worth not what you paid for it. They work of a book price & then add extra for things like alloys, ABS, leather seats even metalic paint!

Advertisement