Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gutter problems

Options
  • 12-03-2008 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Wev'e been in our new house over a year now and early last year we had a problem with the gutter coming loose in the wind. The facia and soffit are either pvc or aluminium I'm not sure which, but at the gable end of the house the gutter keeps breaking loose. Last night in the big wind, it came loose at another gable end. The biggest problem is that once it comes loose it keeps banging away like someone hammering outside the window making it impossible to sleep. The house is in an extremely exposed area on the west coast at the brow of a hill, and I suspect our builder did the cheap on the facia and soffit. Is there some way to safely secure the gutter, or will we have to replace it.All suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Just The One

Foleyart wrote: »
    Wev'e been in our new house over a year now and early last year we had a problem with the gutter coming loose in the wind. The facia and soffit are either pvc or aluminium I'm not sure which, but at the gable end of the house the gutter keeps breaking loose. Last night in the big wind, it came loose at another gable end. The biggest problem is that once it comes loose it keeps banging away like someone hammering outside the window making it impossible to sleep. The house is in an extremely exposed area on the west coast at the brow of a hill, and I suspect our builder did the cheap on the facia and soffit. Is there some way to safely secure the gutter, or will we have to replace it.All suggestions appreciated.

should be a small enough job... ie two screws through the gutter and into the facia should secure it. Make sure you put screws through gutter as high as possible to avoid drips. Also try to avoid fixing gutter too high or too low - this will cause a belly in the gutter and water will just gather there. Try and get it so that it flows down to the nearest downpipe. Your biggest problem will be gaining access.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

I tried doing that already and the wind just ripped them straight off again, I don't want to keep doing it as it will do permanent damage and I will end up having to replace the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

if the gutter keeps coming loose, then the facia might be the problem. find out what condition its in(go into the attic and have a look from the inside if it's solid enough(ie. not rotted away)) well then your problenm might be the fixing your using to secure the bracket, check your using the right size fixing.if thats not it check the bracket (the bracket holds the gutter to the facia)check the bracket make sure it's not damaged and by that I mean cracked or stretched then check that the bracket hasn,t damaged the gutter (if it has you'll see what I mean.) in no way would i put screws through the gutter this will f**k up the fall of water and create more problems
    so 1 check facia
    2 check the fixing
    3 check the bracket
    4 check the gutter isn't damaged
    check that you have the right fall for the water to flow out and down the gutter
    And dont leave it to long or all your gutters might come down also no gutter means water running down walls and you dont want this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

I think the problem is the gutter is too light, it is aluminium. the house is new so there is no rotting as of yet. However the site is extremely exposed in an elevated position off the atlantic. I have large wheelie bins for rubbish beside the house and even full ! weighing at least 150lbs they are being blown away. Should I replace the gutters with more heavy duty ones, or is there some way to secure the ones I have. The problem occurs at the gable ends exposed to the west. Really appreciate your input on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

Foleyart wrote: »
    I think the problem is the gutter is too light, it is aluminium. the house is new so there is no rotting as of yet. However the site is extremely exposed in an elevated position off the atlantic. I have large wheelie bins for rubbish beside the house and even full ! weighing at least 150lbs they are being blown away. Should I replace the gutters with more heavy duty ones, or is there some way to secure the ones I have. The problem occurs at the gable ends exposed to the west. Really appreciate your input on this.
    Is it the bracket comin off the facia or is it the gutter 'popping' out of the bracket?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would suggest that you replace the pvc guttering with Lindab steel guttering, not sure who supplies it here, I got it from my builder but they only supply their own afaik.
    Try the green building store in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭ShakeyBlakey

sounds to me like your screwing only through the pvc facia and not into any timber, depending on the way the roof is constructed under the facia there may only be timer every 16", you should see where the polytops(panel pins with plastic head) are and test it with a screw and make sure theres actually something behind it to take to, if it were into timber I really cant see it blowing out.
    I fit facia, soffit and gutter regularly and i've never had problems, the brackets should actually break before they come out.

edit: actually is there any brackets or is there BIG aluminium nails going through the gutter and into the facia??

Advertisement