Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb problems?

Options
  • 12-03-2008 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Last night my connection was crapping out after a few moments, I did the ipconfig/release and renew routine it would come back periodicly and then go again.

This morning there was no automatic connection either so did same thing and its now running but for how long? Who knows?

Anyone else having this?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

My Digiweb DSL was up and down, every which way last night, at times it was fine, at others gone completly, then some sites loaded normaly while others timed out.

Seems ok now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Likely just the windy night. Fixed wireless stuff needs to stay in the same position to be useful rather than wobbling all over the place.

Theres only so much wind loading the dishes(and masts) can take without moving and last night was quite a blowout!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

Snaga wrote: »
    Likely just the windy night. Fixed wireless stuff needs to stay in the same position to be useful rather than wobbling all over the place.

Theres only so much wind loading these the dishes(and masts) can take without moving and last night was quite a blowout!

Yeah but mine is DSL.............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Ah - unrelated in your case so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Digiweb apparently had a major network problem last night, broadband and the datacentre wer offline for a few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

These problems were caused by a severe DDoS attack on parts of the Digiweb network yesterday evening. Mike, if you've still got a problem with your metro connection give support a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its grand, since I fired it up. *googles DDoS* :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

DDOS = DOS + Botnet :)
    Not to be confused with DRDOS, PCDOS or MSDOS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

Is it necessary to phone support if the problem is persistent or can I assume it will fix itself?

If you're having problems, ring support.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

I had the same problem las night. Ping to my gateway was ok so I realised it must have been a major problem that was known and being worked on so just went to bed early.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The had some issues with their wireless services in Galway, Athlone and a couple of other areas on Monday night for about 2 hours and some more with all their services last night.
    I've been having no issues since. If you ring their support line, there's generally a message at the very start that lets you know if there are any major outages.
    Kippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Blk150

Yeap.Ive been having problems with it all day today and last night:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Moriarty wrote: »
    If you're having problems, ring support.

Don't expect support to be able to help you in cases like last night. They clearly are not told about such serious issues as actve dDOS attacks. Rang them at the start of it and they were to check it out. Some 2 hours later I got a callback, as promised, to say earlier connection issues were now resolved. The call was just before support finished for the night, and was straight to my mobile voicemail! It was at the time when the attack was really kicking off. So clearly they didn't know about it in the first instance and didn't care about it thereafter. Ringing Digiweb support last night would have done no good.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

my mates digiweb metro here in athlone is down the last two days, any idea if this is related to DDos attack or is it another issue?

Sounds like a different issue. Make sure BOTH power supplies are plugged in.

If after disconnecting power and reconnecting it is not working, contact support.

mayto wrote: »
    idea if this is related to DDos attack or is it another issue?

Watty's right .. definitely an unrelated problem. Metro radio traffic was 100% during the attack it was further up the network where the problems were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

mayto wrote: »
    my mates digiweb metro here in athlone is down the last two days, any idea if this is related to DDos attack or is it another issue?

Was a weather related issue - now fixed. You should be online, if not, ring support so that they can check and then raise a service call if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

mates digiweb metro back last night in athlone:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

cgarvey wrote: »
    Don't expect support to be able to help you in cases like last night. They clearly are not told about such serious issues as actve dDOS attacks. Rang them at the start of it and they were to check it out. Some 2 hours later I got a callback, as promised, to say earlier connection issues were now resolved. The call was just before support finished for the night, and was straight to my mobile voicemail! It was at the time when the attack was really kicking off. So clearly they didn't know about it in the first instance and didn't care about it thereafter. Ringing Digiweb support last night would have done no good.

Just a quick point,
    I wouldnt expect this level of support to know about (initially at least) or even attempt to resolve any such issue as a dDOS attack. This issue would have been picked up by level one support and escalated up along the line.
    The call center guys, while able to resolve the basics wouldn't in general and in my opinion be able to resolve every single issue that hit them.
    In my opinion in my 2+ years with Metro their support has been second to none and to expect anything more than the support you received that night is a bit excessive.

• Advertisement

The friendly gentleman in question went off to check were there issues. This was at least 20 minutes in. It is by no means excessive, IMO, to expect level 1 support to know there was a problem (whatever about the details, that's fair enough). However it was the call back later (straight to voicemail.. which can happen, I know) saying there were connectivity issues but these had been resolved, when clearly to anyone trying to connect to any part of Digiweb's network they were far from resovled, and were at their worst. On other occasions they've always been friendly and usually quick to answer, but have rarely solved my problem (which is mainly that my seldom-used Metro phone line has yet to make a successful outgoing call on first attempt in over 2 years and at least 10-15 calls to support about it).

It's not excessive to expect that when the CSR goes to check connectivity issues some 20 minutes in to a "very, very large" DDOS that everyone in the building would know someting was up. It's not excessive for him to check connectivity at his desk (which I understand was badly affected as well) before the call back.

but have rarely solved my problem (which is mainly that my seldom-used Metro phone line has yet to make a successful outgoing call on first attempt in over 2 years and at least 10-15 calls to support about it).

Have you tried in the last week? If not, give it a go.
    It's not excessive to expect that when the CSR goes to check connectivity issues some 20 minutes in to a "very, very large" DDOS that everyone in the building would know someting was up. It's not excessive for him to check connectivity at his desk (which I understand was badly affected as well) before the call back.

You're presuming a lot.

Have you tried in the last week?
    Tried about 45 minutes ago, and first attempt failed (long delay, short tone, no connection). Second attempt went through (well it rang anyway).
    You're presuming a lot.
    No, I didn't presume that CSRs would know (experience tells me so), I just said it wasn't excessive to expect that. It's no shock to me that a communications company don't communicate within, at all.

I think people rely on email (in many companies and homes) too much. Obviously in this kind of situation email might get slowed.

Advertisement