Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seat Ibiza

Options
  • 12-03-2008 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am thinking about getting a second hand Seat Ibiza circa '99 - '03.
    I heard that if the computer thingy goes it costs a fortune to replace and not worth buying. What is the best way of testing it is still in good nick?

I would hate to buy one only to find out the computer is busted a week later.
    Also anything else to look out for?
    Thanks a mill
    T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

What do you mean by "Computer Thingy"? The ECU? The HVAC/Radio Display?

I had one of these, a '01, the only issue was a stiff clutch (fairly common amongst Polo-based VAG cars) never heard of an ECU problem. The dealer had already replaced the HVAC display, after the previous owner's two-year old put a set of keys through it.

Are you buying from a dealer, or privately? Are you getting any warranty with it? Ask if it's been replaced, check that all the elements on the screen are displaying OK

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

2 Espressi wrote: »
    What do you mean by "Computer Thingy"? The ECU? The HVAC/Radio Display?

I had one of these, a '01, the only issue was a stiff clutch (fairly common amongst Polo-based VAG cars) never heard of an ECU problem. The dealer had already replaced the HVAC display, after the previous owner's two-year old put a set of keys through it.

Are you buying from a dealer, or privately? Are you getting any warranty with it? Ask if it's been replaced, check that all the elements on the screen are displaying OK

Not sure, honest John refers to it at:

"Heater/radio LCD display, and electronics play up leading to battery drain down. Replacement is £400."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

GF bought one of these last summer; and its been a nightmare so far. 00 cupra model, think that means it comes with 'extras'.

Tappets on the engine started to go so the thing sounds like a tractor. She is going to get it fixed and luckily it will coincide with a timing belt change so that will offset some of the cost but still it sounds bad.

Suspension has started clunking on front passenger wheel, probably bushings, now this isnt really the cars fault as she hits every kerb and pothole in the country but even still.

Car foot wells started filling up with water so I had to take the doors apart and reseal them with silicone, this is a known issue and only of the causes of water ingress. Others include bad seal around the pollen filter. Was a pain in the ass as it was a couple of weeks before I could find the time to do it and during that time various electrics began messing up due to the moisture. Radio turns on and off randomly and half the buttons dont work, though that was an issue before we ever picked it up. Back lighting on the speedo also come on and off randomly

Interior door handles are coated with a thin rubber and look terrible now as the rubber has worn and peeled away.

Petrol cover doesnt lock.

I broke the windscreen changing the wipers. :o

The list of things just keep on growing, both in part to the cars poor design and the voodoo curse someone has put on them.

Lol, I never want to see another seat ibiza ever again

Tails142 wrote: »
    GF bought one of these last summer; and its been a nightmare so far. 00 cupra model, think that means it comes with 'extras'.

Tappets on the engine started to go so the thing sounds like a tractor. She is going to get it fixed and luckily it will coincide with a timing belt change so that will offset some of the cost but still it sounds bad.

Suspension has started clunking on front passenger wheel, probably bushings, now this isnt really the cars fault as she hits every kerb and pothole in the country but even still.

Car foot wells started filling up with water so I had to take the doors apart and reseal them with silicone, this is a known issue and only of the causes of water ingress. Others include bad seal around the pollen filter. Was a pain in the ass as it was a couple of weeks before I could find the time to do it and during that time various electrics began messing up due to the moisture. Radio turns on and off randomly and half the buttons dont work, though that was an issue before we ever picked it up. Back lighting on the speedo also come on and off randomly

Interior door handles are coated with a thin rubber and look terrible now as the rubber has worn and peeled away.

The list of things just keep on growing, both in part to the cars poor design and the voodoo curse someone has put on them.

Mad, do you mind if I ask you how much you paid for that? And also if it had a NCT?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Not sure, honest John refers to it at:

"Heater/radio LCD display, and electronics play up leading to battery drain down. Replacement is £400."

This is the screen in the front , it has all the controls for stereo , heaters. Its an LCD display which breaks in everyone of them.Think some seat garages have reconditioned one for €250 and take back your old one.

The pedal box is the biggest problem with the ibiza of that generation

• Advertisement

Barr wrote: »
    This is the screen in the front , it has all the controls for stereo , heaters. Its an LCD display which breaks in everyone of them.Think some seat garages have reconditioned one for €250 and take back your old one.

The pedal box is the biggest problem with the ibiza of that generation
    Thanks Barr. what's the best way to check the pedal box?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Tails142 wrote: »

Ehh your Gf bought a a Cupra? thats a 1.8litre 147bhp

I have a 2001 Ibiza and the only thing ive had trouble with was a cigarette lighter fuse thats it! the Stereo headunit works fine no problems at all with mine great economic car i have a 1litre

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Thanks Barr. what's the best way to check the pedal box?

If the clutch is creaky this is a tell tale sign, also unusually stiff

Another sign is if the clutch pedal is much lower than the break pedal chances are its the pedal box.

Dealer quoted €850 to replace one once for me :eek:

Advertisement