Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlook & Mail Server alternatives

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Zimbra is good - also look at www.atmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

Google apps has captured my attention at the moment - AND its free

http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en/index.html

Darragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Do you see something in Google Apps that handles this kind of issue darragh?

sorry if i'm being dense - but what issue?

d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

What issues are you having with Outlook? Are the issues with Exchange?

• Advertisement

sorry if i'm being dense - but what issue?

d

Instead of "issue" I should said "request". The issue/request is that we want an alternative to our current Outlook/MDaemon setup [Exchange is not an option for us].

That's why I quizzed you about GoogleApps, as I'm not sure what it can provide for us?

try clicking the link ;-)

d

try clicking the link ;-)

d

I did and I am still non-plussed. You're going to have to spell it out for me!

I did and I am still non-plussed. You're going to have to spell it out for me!

Well, you're certainly something;-)

try this: http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en/business/applications.html

EDIT: Better Link: http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en/users/user_features.html

That's what I saw. I thought you were seeing something that I wasn't. I don't think that's the way forward for us on this one. Apparently MDaemon have a new version on the way. Hopefully they will improve some bits and pieces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

if you can explain
    Outlook continues to be a torment on us and our system users
    a bit more then maybe you'd get better answers.
    I am plagued with Outlook/Exchange issues too, so I do know it can be nasty, but what exactly are you having issues with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If you don't ask the right questions you won't get the right answer.

You'll need to give a little bit more info on what you are looking for and that problems you are trying to eliminate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

If you're looking for an exchange replacement.

Scalix is "teh awsome"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭strangeloop

Smart move dumping exchange and lookout. For an enterprise solution, I personally would go for either netware/groupwise or Lotus notes. Both of these solutions kill exchange for performance, reliability and ease of administration. The new version of lotus notes (release 8) is absolutely fantastic, its in a completely different league to exchange in every possible way. Likewise, Groupwise on a netware box is just rock solid, it will just run and run with very little administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Any info on the particular MDaemon issues?

I had a small scale scalix experiment 2 years back and encountered issues with importing and exporting mails, and had issues with the Outlook plugin that I never got sorted.
    If you don't mind the command line, it's pretty decent. But that was a while ago.

At the moment I'm looking at Axigen on Centos which is sendmail etc with a pretty decent administrator gui. Haven't met any issues so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Outlook itself is only the means for which to use the email system, it's a fantastic programme in itself but only comes into it's own when used with a properly implemented and maintained Exchange Server. Otherwise you may aswell be better using the free Outlook express or microsoft mail.

If you're not using Exchange with Outlook then there's really no point as it's just a waste of money and resources. Outlook doesn't work too well with other server side offerings, Exchange is the only one it runs well with.

If it's just email your after (rather than the whole collaboration platform that can be built around Outlook) and your primary use of email is contact between your internal employees and external customers, then why not look at a hosted solution for it all ?
    Takes an awful lot of burden from you and your staff plus it's costs can be wrote off on tax over a number of years if you've a decently efficient accountant in place that knows what he/she is doing and how to avail of the tax benefits. You don't have to have the email hosted in Ireland either, plenty of opportunity out there now with the weak dollar to take advantage of US offerings.

Just my tuppence worth anyway.

Advertisement