Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an opera singer

Options
  • 12-03-2008 10:59am
    Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭

Hi. I'm new to classical and hope someone here can help me. Dont know much about the genre, but I love female operatic singing, such as the track used in the film Shawshank, (I dont know if its Flower Duet, but its similar), and that woman who sings on Damien Rices' Eskimo.:)

I realise Im a complete newb to all this, and when I search itunes or browse cds I just get dizzy with the choice and dont know what to go for. Can anyone recommend a singer or cd or opera that would be a good place to start broadening my mind, musically, based on the pieces mentioned above, which I really love?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I don't know about an opera singer, but that duet is from The Marriage of Figaro by Mozart, which is going to be on in the Gaiety at the beginning of April. Maybe you could give it a try? I didn't really enjoy it when I listened on CD first but it made more sense live.
    Most of my opera CDs come from Naxos. Maybe you should try a best of Verdi
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Verdi-Giuseppe/dp/B0000014HK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1205363579&sr=8-2 or best of Puccini CD
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Puccini-Giacomo/dp/B0000014HL/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1205363654&sr=1-1 for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Can't go wrong with Maria Callas. If you're looking for something more contemporary, Katherine Jenkins is a decent singer (and a fox) but avoid her newest album as it has pop songs written by the likes of Gary Barlow on it.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Thanks guys. That gives me somewhere to start. And I will look into that event in April. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Pianist2891

Monserrat Caballe,Elizabeth Connell,Joan Sutherland, Birgit Nilsson, Janet Baker, Callas, Renata Tebaldi, Mirella Freni, Jessye Norman, Christa Ludwig, Leontyne Price, Kiri te Kanewa!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Kiri de Cannabis! And don't forget Dame Arnold Schwarzkopf.

• Advertisement

Thanks all around. That new thumb is handy.:)

You're welcome! And I meant Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, of course! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Pianist2891

Doshea3 wrote: »
    You're welcome! And I meant Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, of course! ;)

Course you did! :rolleyes:

;)

Funnily enough I didnt bother looking on itunes for cannabis either.;)

Thanks guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Substantial list there, one I would add from my personal list of favourites would be Frederica von Stade, well worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lizzieraisin

emma kirkby....amazing u will love her....and cara o sullivan....support our own!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Oryx wrote: »
    Hi. I'm new to classical and hope someone here can help me. Dont know much about the genre, but I love female operatic singing, such as the track used in the film Shawshank, (I dont know if its Flower Duet, but its similar), and that woman who sings on Damien Rices' Eskimo.:)

I realise Im a complete newb to all this, and when I search itunes or browse cds I just get dizzy with the choice and dont know what to go for. Can anyone recommend a singer or cd or opera that would be a good place to start broadening my mind, musically, based on the pieces mentioned above, which I really love?

freddy mercury was borderline women at times and sang opera... does that count ?? :pac:

Advertisement