Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DO Banks make mistakes???

Options
  • 12-03-2008 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

with customers and if so what rights do we have if its not our own fault?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

lisaloo wrote: »
    with customers and if so what rights do we have if its not our own fault?

Yes they do make mistakes. Check out your rights in the itsyourmoney site and you also have the Financial Services Ombudsman's site for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Prob more suited to consumer issues, but yeah the bank has a right to rectify the mistake. Unfortunately most people prefer to see it as a two sided thing, if the bank makes a mistake and lodges too much money into your account it's there mistake, their problem and they're not getting the money back; but if the back lodges too little money in an account then you sue the bank, call Joe Duffy and hire Al Quida to completely flatten the bank.

I had a student account twelve years ago with Ulster Bank, hardly ever used it and had pretty much forgotten I even had it until I get a letter in the post last month it seems they had charged me interest when they shouldn't have, they sent me a cheque (with interest and all). Very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭rameire

yes they do make mistakes, but i must say alot of customers are just idiots, who dont even read the letters sent to them, they just make up things in their mind and ring up and give out. uuuuuuuuuuurrrrrraaaaaaaaaagggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I would imagine the real question here is: When banks make mistakes do they own up to them??

They make mistakes alot of the time and has happened with me on a few occassions.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

They make sure to reimburse themselves if the mistake is in your favour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

A couple of years ago i got a loan from the local CU and lodged the cheque into Ulster bank current acc. I withdrew €500 the same day. Shortly afterwards spent 6 weeks in hospital so i didnt see bank statement.

I got a phone call from the bank (3 months later) to tell me that they were taking €500 from my acc. Why?, instead of withdrawing it from my acc they took it from the CU's acc (CU had a Ulster Bank acc). It was only when the Credit union were balancing the books they noticed the mistake. The bank were not the ones to cop it. Bit annoyed, but sure i had to pay it back.

Lesson learned, i always check every transaction now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

You mean do people make mistakes. Yeah sure they do and they will continue to do so until robots replace us all. So don't take it personally. Then again, you would be suprised at the amount of people who would try anything to rip off the bank. So it goes both ways TBH. By all means contact the Ombudsman if you are not satisfied by the resolution.
    rameire wrote: »
    yes they do make mistakes, but i must say alot of customers are just idiots, who dont even read the letters sent to them, they just make up things in their mind and ring up and give out. uuuuuuuuuuurrrrrraaaaaaaaaagggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Never a truer word spoken. I'm shocked at how many people have problems managing their finances and then give out after they have got the facilities. "I didn't know I had an overdraft".... Yeah right, like come on :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Gillo wrote: »
    I had a student account twelve years ago with Ulster Bank, hardly ever used it and had pretty much forgotten I even had it until I get a letter in the post last month it seems they had charged me interest when they shouldn't have, they sent me a cheque (with interest and all). Very impressed.

same thing happened me.... will be getting a cheque for over £1k in the post some day soon...happy days!

Advertisement