Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonia going to the world cross...

• 12-03-2008 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

...but as a coach!

From ireland.com

O'Sullivan to coach Australian athletes

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Athletics: Sonia O'Sullivan has been named Australia's team coach for the IAAF World Cross Country Championships in Edinburgh on March 30th.

O'Sullivan, who scored a long and short course double for Ireland in 1998, has had dual Australian and Irish nationality since 2006.

The Cork woman, who has homes in London and Melbourne, was delighted to be offered the role by Athletics Australia.

"I hope that my experiences in the past will inspire the team to run at a high level and challenge for a medal," she said. "It is now 10 years since my double victory at the WXC in Marrakech so the World Cross Country always has a special place in my heart."

She added: "Most of the girls on the team I have trained with while in Australia.

"We hope that this familiarity and experience I have will lead to a good team spirit that is required for a good team performance in Edinburgh."

Athletics Australia are sending a 22-strong team to Edinburgh and are hopeful that O'Sullivan's guidance will speed up the development of their
    youngsters

"Having Sonia as team coach will be a great opportunity for the development of our junior athletes," said Australia team manager Tim O'Shaughnessy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I hope she does great and I hope their team does great.

One in the eye for the AAI!

Hey, that rhymes.

Advertisement