Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BUYING A CAR IN BELFAST -- what's the craic ?

Options
  • 12-03-2008 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

If anyone could explain this that would be great.

I'm looking at buying a car in the North - it costs $42,000 here in Dublin but only £15,000 in the Norh (around €19,000)

So, the saving is substantial. It is a second hand, 2003 BMW

What is the deal with paying tax / VRT etc. when I bring it back to Dublin?

Will I keep the yellow reg. or need to get a 03 D **** number plate ?

Thanks
    JD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You will have to pay the VRT within 24 hours and reregister the car here. You can get the VRT figures at https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showVRT

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭N8

living in Dublin you don't need to be in any hurry....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭pocketdooz

N8 wrote: »
    living in Dublin you don't need to be in any hurry....

What do you mean by this ?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭N8

pocketdooz wrote: »
    What do you mean by this ?
    Thanks

I mean if you don't immdiately pay the VRT, its up to the customs to stop your car and establish that you are a rsident in the south. Generally in Dublin if the car tax was kept up to date in the North and it wasn't occasioning notice it is unlikely that you would be pulled by the customs (even though it would not be legal). Take a look at all the Northern cars in the city, then add in the UK registered cars, the french cars, the eastern european cars, the Irish cars not taxed - or insured...

Its a diferent matter outisde of Dublin, cars are more easily noticed because there is less diversity...

Howver I am not encouraging breaking the law, I am simply explaining the nature of the situation ;)

Advertisement