Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 320D Torque & BHP

Options
  • 12-03-2008 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Looking for some help on 2 cars, I am looking at getting a 06 BMW 320D se or a 06 520D se, I cant seem to get information anywhere on the bhp and torque of these, and any I do get seems to be conflicting?

Any information would be great, and any thoughts on which would be a better buy/drive,

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

They'll both have the 163bhp engine, I don't know the torque figures but they should be on www.bmw.ie - AFAIK, the 3 series hasn't yet changed to the newer 177bhp version of that engine. I haven't driven the 520d, but the 320d auto is surprisingly quick - 8.6 seconds 0-100km/h, I think. The manual isn't much more accelerative, but is noticeably better on fuel. The 5 series will be fractionally slower, surprisingly it's around the same weight. Maybe drive both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭corboy

Thanks Anan1 for that info on the bhp at least I have a defenite figure for the BHP on the 2 of them, I cant find any torque info for 06's on the bmw site tried it before,
    I read in another thread about 6 cyclinders, is this a selection option for 06's or is 6 cyclinders just in 08's?
    What is IDrive and why is it rated so poorly?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

The 325d/330d/335d are all 3.0 6 cylinder engines, the 318d/320d is a 2.0 4 cylinder. iDrive is basically a rotary knob for controlling systems within the car. You only get it if you specify factory sat-nav which ruins the look of the dash, costs €3,000+ and doesn't work as well as a €300 TomTom.

Thanks for those links, sorted on the torque and all other info

so ignore IDrive, the specs on the 320D & 520D seem very similar other than boot size, width, length, must take both of them for a test drive next week, is either 1 head & shoulders over the other in your opinions or is it 6 and 1

With the same engine size the 520D i imagine would be a bit sluggish with the extra weight?

• Advertisement

I haven't driven a 520d. I've driven a 320d a lot though, and it's a deeply impressive car. Surprisingly the 320d is just as heavy as, and slightly better in crash tests than, the 520d. I have sat in the 5 series, and the interior feels slightly cheaper than that of the 3 series.

Sounds like you are a fan of the 320, any prefference for the es or the se, the only difference is the extras? suspension and engine etc are the same?

corboy wrote: »
    Sounds like you are a fan of the 320, any prefference for the es or the se, the only difference is the extras? suspension and engine etc are the same?
    It all depends on your priorities. From memory, the SE gives you climate, different wheels, rear park assist, auto dimming rear view mirror and a few other bits & bobs. Suspension & engine are identical. Avoid any sport packs, the car is already if anything a little over-firm. Be aware though that the BMW options list is long, tempting and expensive. My mother ended up spending €13,000 on options, this on a car with no leather, nav, or power seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The 3 series now has EfficientDynamics, so a 320d will have 177 bhp too for this year.

A 4 cylinder engine is going to be rather noisy and unrefined in an executive car like the 5 series(if you ever stand next to one in traffic you can hear loads of diesel clatter, the 6 cylinder diesels have a little bit of clatter, but are much quieter overall). In countries where they don't do taxation on engine size nobody buys the 520d. The only reason they sell so well here is because they are the cheapest 5 series and because of our ridiculous engine size mentality.

I suspect that you really need a 6 cylinder engine for a 5 series, though I'll reserve my full judgment till I drive one about how good (or as i suspect bad) a 520d is, but my suspicion is that a 6 cylinder engine is a much better candidate. honest John said the 520d "is least powerful in the range and though adequate feels like a big car with a small engine."

6 cylinder engines are so much nicer sounding, have more power, in the case of the 525d a lot more torque, and in the case of BMWs, are not a lot heavier on fuel(especially the diesels).

A 525d is a 2.5 litre until April 07 too. 523i and 525i are 2.5 litre(in the case of the 525i till April 07).

Advertisement