Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best sausages in Sligo

Options
  • 12-03-2008 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

Have to say, I love me sausages, so I've tried a LOT of the butchers around town (their sausages, that is!). The best ones I've come across have to be the ones in Food Experience... very good meat content, very little salt & very tasty. They do tend to be a bit inconsistent in terms of size & shape, but you can't have everything!

Also they taste amazing in a coddle, but I wouldn't tell the butcher that in case he objects to me using Sligo's finest in a Dublin recipie!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

With a thread title like that you're just asking for double entendres:D
    Clarke's in Gratton Street used to have nice ones, but that was years ago. Don't know if they still do them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

il gatto wrote: »
    With a thread title like that you're just asking for double entendres:D
    Clarke's in Gratton Street used to have nice ones, but that was years ago. Don't know if they still do them.

Could be worse - I was gonna call it "where do you like to get your pork in Sligo?"! Clarke's is a nice butchers - I buy most of my meat here. Their sausages are a tad salty though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Suasages are evil.

sueme wrote: »
    Suasages are evil.

You need your fears asasuaged!!

Suasages are evil.

A particular bad experience (sausage ate my hamster sort of thing) or a general comment on the content? :confused:

• Advertisement

il gatto wrote: »
    A particular bad experience (sausage ate my hamster sort of thing) or a general comment on the content? :confused:

They have *deep breath* gristle *heave* in them.

Evil. EVIL I say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

They have *deep breath* gristle *heave* in them.

Evil. EVIL I say.

Thats looks like content to me. :confused::D
    Would you be looking for Lynda McCarthys finest then? Not the same in a coddle though. :(

Lindas are good...but Quorn are the best. I have to buy and cook them for everyone else, but can't eat them. :o Around here, they are partial to Tesco Finest Garlic and Herb. Also Clarkes have had very good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Seconded Tesco Finest Garlic and Herb sausages.. delish!

With mashed spuds, beans and gravy!

Salty? Well seasoned. Gristle? Texture:D I've assessed the content versus taste and decided to ignore the content:o

• Advertisement

Equally as important to the quality of the sausage is the ketchup used with it. It's Heinz or nothing for me... everything else is just substandard.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Maybe a particular type of fork is needed also.

If ever there was a case for having a thread moved to a chit chat sticky then this would be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Katzy

Not in a butchers!! but shaws sausages take beating!!! - plus 80% Pork cause god knows whats in the rest!:eek:

Katzy wrote: »
    Not in a butchers!! but shaws sausages take beating!!! - plus 80% Pork cause god knows whats in the rest!:eek:

The label stating the ingredients is usually a good indication... though by definition, when they say 80% pork, that can include all parts of the pig from sinew, to skin to gristle, even parts that you'd never eat if you knew they were in there!

Still, I can't believe you never bought butchers sausages... do yourself a favour & go to Food Experience & get a pound of sausages for Saturday morning breakfast - it'll cost ya about €3.30 & I promise you'll never go back to factory made ones again. And make sure you fry them - grilled sausages are woeful.. who the hell wants crispy skin?!?!

muffler wrote: »
    Maybe a particular type of fork is needed also.

If ever there was a case for having a thread moved to a chit chat sticky then this would be it.

Maybe we should take the sausages out of the kettle & put them into the black pot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

Butchers sausages aren't nice, they are too fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Katzy wrote: »

Have to agree there, Shaws ones are good, if a bit pricey. I must try the Food Experience sausages though to see what they are like.

I cant separate sauces from sausages. (I've tried) Even classic recommended Sligo sausages would be heightened by Ballymaloe country relish in a sandwich. Divine! And you cant have a coddle without ......brown sauce. Can you? :(
    Sauces make sausages!

tuppence wrote: »
    I cant separate sauces from sausages. (I've tried) Even classic recommended Sligo sausages would be heightened by Ballymaloe country relish in a sandwich. Divine! And you cant have a coddle without ......brown sauce. Can you? :(
    Sauces make sausages!

Coddle with brown sauce? WTF are you on?!?!? That's like putting ketchup in stew or mayonaisse in soup!

Have to agree there, Shaws ones are good, if a bit pricey. I must try the Food Experience sausages though to see what they are like.

If you don't like them, I'll refund you the money! (You'd swear I'd shares in the company!) They also come from locally reared pigs, which for me is reason enough to buy them over mass, factory produced sausages.

Coddle with brown sauce? WTF are you on?!?!? That's like putting ketchup in stew or mayonaisse in soup!
    Not a commission from the food experience anyway! Coddle can look a bit peeky at the best of times lets me fair. We wont be eating it for its nutritionally and esthetic value. Its tasty. (I love it and make it) Thats the way me poor old dub granny used to have it. On the side not in it. :)

• Advertisement

Not a commission from the food experience anyway! Coddle can look a bit peeky at the best of times lets me fair. We wont be eating it for its nutritionally and esthetic value. Its tasty. (I love it and make it) Thats the way me poor old dub granny used to have it. On the side not in it. :)

The one I make is very nutritional.. lots of veg (carrots, parsnip, turnip), cannelli beans (an italian twist!), plenty of garlic (to par-fry the potato cubes in first), lots & lots of thyme, a pinch of chill flakes, home made vegetable stock and of course (slipping back on topic), a big load of sausages from Food Experience*

(* = tell 'em I sent ya.. I get 1 sausage for every pound sold this weekend)

The one I make is very nutritional.. lots of veg (carrots, parsnip, turnip), cannelli beans (an italian twist!), plenty of garlic (to par-fry the potato cubes in first), lots & lots of thyme, a pinch of chill flakes, home made vegetable stock and of course (slipping back on topic), a big load of sausages from Food Experience*

(* = tell 'em I sent ya.. I get 1 sausage for every pound sold this weekend)

Jeepers I wouldnt recognise it. My poor gran would lose her life if she hadnt already gone from this earth. Mine would be the traditional one. Local Sausages, bacon, potatoes, onions, and parsley layered, in a pot with water. (You can now understand the need for brown sauce!) The lack of greens gives it a certain type of boldness to eat which makes it even the more tasty to the palate. Cant say I eat it too often these days but feel like drawing curtains when I do. :o:D

Cant say I eat it too often these days but feel like drawing curtains when I do. :o:D

:D:D:D My mam used to make it like your gran did... I kinda augmented mine so the missus would eat it... (I asked her once if she'd eat coddle & she turned her nose up, but when I said I was cooking a sausage stew, it was a different story - She's from Longford.. says it all!)

I actually cook it in the oven - big oven proof pot, 2 layers of tin foil over the top & then the lid, then slow roast it for 3-4 hours... the ingredients kinda melt into each other (except the sausages), forming a thick-ish soup.

Did I mention that I get the sausages from Food Experience?!

Have you got shares in that place!!!!

By the way have u every tried Shaws sausages!!

I have shares but I only get paid in sausages.

I've tried Shaws - they're OK, but I'm really not into processed foods at all. Too many additives, preservatives & E numbers. Plus I believe strongly in supporting local businesses & suppliers... I'm not from Sligo, but I live & work here, so by putting money back into the local economy, it contributes to local employment & keeps the local economy strong - which in turn means, I can continue to live & work here. So it's not a selfless act! I get to keep my job & eat lovely locally produced foods!

Grooooovy!!! - well enjoy it :

Advertisement