Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monowall 1:1 nat

Options
  • 12-03-2008 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Weird situation here.

Muppet moved in who likes to eat broadband caps and speaks bugger all English. there's an existing net gear router that cant be put in bridge mode and wont work if i try and double nat.:(

At the moment im running my hope pc as a transparent proxy and using squid to fail large downloads working great except that i need the pc on while i sleep:(.

So my question is could i use the wrap board(have one lying around) and use 1:1nat or should i just put debian and squid on the wrap board even though mono wall is a much neater option

as good a suggestion as killing him in his sleep would be i cant do that.(Would normally be my kind of approach to this)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Didnt work as im trying to throttle over one interface.

Transparent proxy it is then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

Does your router have any sort of QOS that can be made client specific?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I am failing to see why NAT would be a solution here?

Who owns the router, if you do surely you can just block him using MAC filtering or something? - Little confused to the setup you have there :confused:

Edit - Yeah you using 1 to 1 NAT, so you'll only NAT your internal PC address out? - To be honest, it would be easier to block all MAC addresses except your own or use an ACL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

The issue is im waiting on a wifi card for the wrap board so it only has one interface so i cant just replace the wifi router.

The main router is a netgear home router with no Qos no bridging. This means i simply have to wait and use my linux pc until the card arrives (today or Tuesday).

The 1:1 nat was me trying to do a dirty hack on it by double natting just to get the router to pass traffic. (FAILED!)

So right now my main pc is doing the routing until the card arrives.

Advertisement