Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A bit of Fun !

Options
  • 12-03-2008 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭

http://www.ishallovercome.co.uk/

You can download stems of the New Hard-Fi Single 'I shall Overcome' here,

Stereo Pairs of Drums, Guitars, Vocals, Strings etc. for you to Remix/Butcher/Erase as you see fit!!

It's a bit of a laugh, I'm in the Middle of doing a Mash-Up of that and Donna Summers 'I feel love' that's, Handily enough, in the same key!

The Strings sound great! Recorded in Olympic you can see their Podcast at -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJZfqTUAu7Q

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

NIN did that recently too. I was only saying to my business partner last night that it would be great if a DJ could buy a dance track as say an Ableton file, so they could mix it as they wanted at a gig.

There's an interesting talk on that kind of thing here beware though its nearly 20 minutes long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Nice find! Its nice to have a resource like this, even if its only used for messing around/using it as fodder to practice technique.

The multitrack files from 2 of the songs on Brian Eno & David Byrne's "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts" were made available a couple of years back too, there was some *very* interesting stuff going on in that music...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Oh and delay The Lead Vocal by a 16th I think to make it work too......

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Can you still download that NiN track? I remember trying a few months ago and couldn't get my hands on it.

I've got the multitracks for Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen - Killer Queen and Marvin Gaye - Ain't No Mountain High Enough, easy to find on Google, they've all been floating around for a while now. I won't link because I don't know what the whole legal status of them are, but great fun to mess around with, especially the Queen tracks.

Why don't you nip over to

http://www.bebo.com/mrpaulbrewer

....and have a listen to my "Hard Donna" Mash-up made up of the above mentioned Hard-Fi download and Donna Summer's 'I feel love' ....

Why I bothered I'm not sure, but sure......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

thats pretty cool...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

studiorat wrote: »
    NIN did that recently too. I was only saying to my business partner last night that it would be great if a DJ could buy a dance track as say an Ableton file, so they could mix it as they wanted at a gig.

There's an interesting talk on that kind of thing here beware though its nearly 20 minutes long.

richie hawtin has been talking about this for the past year. from talking to guys in dance labels, they're real worried about giving out stems, they'll just be giving out sample libraries.
    which is a fair point i suppose, considering certain areas of the house music industry seem intent on making albums completely out of other people's tracks and then writing 'all songs written by...'. Daft Punk?

i think a lot of the good dj's out there are doing this type of thing already. in certain forms of dance music (namely minimal) it's easy enough to split the track into different parts, and mess about on the fly in ableton.

i think also the 'live' dance artists want to keep that whole area to themselves. which i think is fair enough.

thats pretty cool...

Cheers!

jtsuited wrote: »
    richie hawtin has been talking about this for the past year. from talking to guys in dance labels, they're real worried about giving out stems, they'll just be giving out sample libraries.
    which is a fair point i suppose, considering certain areas of the house music industry seem intent on making albums completely out of other people's tracks and then writing 'all songs written by...'. Daft Punk?

i think a lot of the good dj's out there are doing this type of thing already. in certain forms of dance music (namely minimal) it's easy enough to split the track into different parts, and mess about on the fly in ableton.

i think also the 'live' dance artists want to keep that whole area to themselves. which i think is fair enough.

The Hard Fi track has been up a few weeks as they've been looking to release the 'best' remix as part of the B sides.

Interestingly the rules state that one gives all rights to the label with no royalties due etc etc.

The Man wins out !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    The Hard Fi track has been up a few weeks as they've been looking to release the 'best' remix as part of the B sides.

Interestingly the rules state that one gives all rights to the label with no royalties due etc etc.

The Man wins out !

Standard really.

Not only do all remix contests work like that, most remixes in dance music work like that.
    for instance, i have a few releases coming out in two months time. the remixers are 'hired' by the label and paid a flat fee, and i get 100% of the net receipts on the remixes (after the label has taken their cut).

remix contests are pretty much seen to be a desparate marketing endeavour these days. they tend to be run for a track that doesn't/mightn't do that well.

Sasha's mongoose single didn't sell particularly well, but then there was a remix contest and it sold a lot more.
    interestingly despite the marketing hype, nobody has ever got anywhere after winning a remix contest. apart from james zabiela but that's a different story entirely.

funny story for aphex twin fans. he won the aphex twin remix competition in future music magazine a few years ago. under a different name of course, but just shows you that talent is talent under any name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Can you still download that NiN track? I remember trying a few months ago and couldn't get my hands on it.

I've got the multitracks for Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen - Killer Queen and Marvin Gaye - Ain't No Mountain High Enough, easy to find on Google, they've all been floating around for a while now. I won't link because I don't know what the whole legal status of them are, but great fun to mess around with, especially the Queen tracks.

The Queen and Marvin tracks were a bit bogey, apparently they came from a transfer room in NYC. I have the NIN track floating around somewhere.

Advertisement