Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thierry Henry to return to Prem?

• 12-03-2008 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Terry is having a pre transfer window moan about his lot at Barca, he knows the Prem would he return and if so which team would take a punt?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Spurs or United

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Chelski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Don't think he'd return.

Villareal - way ahead in 3rd, challenging Barca for 2nd, CL semi finals two years ago and his old buddy Bobby Pires is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

mike65 wrote: »
    Terry is having a pre transfer window moan about his lot at Barca, he knows the Prem would he return and if so which team would take a punt?

Mike.

As a Newcastle supporter he strikes means the type of over the hill player (thats a bit harsh but he's past it) we always seem to take a punt on, and the way Ashley seems to try and lick up to the fans, I could see him make a move for him. However, I don't think Henry would go near us, and tbh i'm glad. If its assumed Owen stays, I really want to see Oba get a run out.

Possibly Man City?? They have wads of cash, playing relatively decent football, and seem to be pushing on this season. Again though, they'd probably suffer from the same stigma as Newcastle. Henry probably sees himself in London with a big team. Chelsea maybe if they lose Drogba. Swap deal?

• Advertisement

I think he said before that he loves Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't think Rafa would see a place for him unless it was in the Babel position.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

mike65 wrote: »
    I don't think Rafa would see a place for him unless it was in the Babel position.

Mike.
    We could play with 2 up front with SG behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

If he came back to the Premiership, i guaruntee it would be to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

To be honest id still love him at Pool.

• Advertisement

Would the presently already unstable board give rafa another big wad of money to sign one player. Hasn't he had enough to spend already?

Also, I think Torres works well as the big striker for Liverpool. Throwing Henry up there may stunt him like he seemed to do with Arsenal players Adebayor et el.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Only way he'd play for another EPL team is if Wenger left the Arse.

Hasn't he had enough to spend already?

aren't you a Newcastle fan? :eek:

DesF wrote: »
    Only way he'd play for another EPL team is if Wenger left the Arse.

I dunno. Spurs and United he wouldn't go to (I'd hope). Arse under Wenger would be very unlikely to take him back. Chelsea again I'd like to think he wouldn't be able to join.

In a desperate situation I reckon he might feel he'd get away with a move to Pool.

Rumours from good sources were rife before his move to Barca that he was considering a move to Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

As a Newcastle supporter he strikes means the type of over the hill player (thats a bit harsh but he's past it) we always seem to take a punt on, and the way Ashley seems to try and lick up to the fans, I could see him make a move for him. However, I don't think Henry would go near us, and tbh i'm glad. If its assumed Owen stays, I really want to see Oba get a run out.

Possibly Man City?? They have wads of cash, playing relatively decent football, and seem to be pushing on this season. Again though, they'd probably suffer from the same stigma as Newcastle. Henry probably sees himself in London with a big team. Chelsea maybe if they lose Drogba. Swap deal?

Past it ? Hes had 25 apperances for Barcelona, scored 10 and got 7 assists. Bit harsh to say hes past it.

I'd love Rafa to put a bid in for him. He gets on very well with Gerrard and has said that he always wanted to play for Liverpool before.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2007/12/23/gerrard-asked-henry-to-join-liverpool/4245.html

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Rumours from good sources were rife before his move to Barca that he was considering a move to Anfield.

Ummm yeah I seriously doubt that. He would have never been allowed go directly to another prem club anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Id say he's sick of Spain already, so a move to Liverpool doesnt look likely...

Ba-dum tish :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Why would he come back to anyone that doesnt offer him CL football? That would just be stupid. Every CL team bar the top 4-5 would die to get their hands on him.

I'm not sure I'd want him at United. If he was cheap, like say below 7 million, I'd take him. We need another striker, and he'd fit the bill in a way, but not really :) Still, cracking player, knows how to win leagues, him and Ronaldo would be up against each other for top scorer.

That said, I wouldn't be hugely worried if he went somewhere else, he's not the player he used to be, and only has at most 2 years left in him at the highest level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Henry hasn't been bad this season for Barça but he definitely hasn't set the world alight. One of the main concerns though (apart from his age), is that he has a recurring back problem and Barcelona medical staff believe that this condition will continue to deteriorate over time.

I was at the Barça-Villarreal game on Sunday and Henry looked a shadow of his former self. He was hanging out on the left wing a la his Arsenal days but didn't seem to have that same explosive pace to get in behind the defence and cause problems. His main asset was always his blistering pace and with that lessened, it'd be a big gamble for any of the top Premiership teams to sign him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I'd love him at Liverpool, classy classy player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Ummm yeah I seriously doubt that. He would have never been allowed go directly to another prem club anyway.

Yeah, I'd definitely play those rumours off as rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Villa (but then I wake up in a cold sweat!) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Tusky wrote: »
    He gets on very well with Gerrard and has said that he always wanted to play for Liverpool before.

So uch so that Gerrard assisted two of his goals. :)

Tusky wrote: »
    Past it ? Hes had 25 apperances for Barcelona, scored 10 and got 7 assists. Bit harsh to say hes past it.

At 30 yrs of age, and luke warm form for the guts of 2 years I do believe he is past it, certainly in the sense that his best years are behind him. He will never be the player he was 3/4 years ago. That doesn't mean he can't still perform at a top club, but I certainly wouldn't build my team around him nor would I pay any more than £8 or so million.
    Mr Alan wrote:
    aren't you a Newcastle fan?

For my sins yes. I would be the first to say that my club has thrown away a needless amount of cash on tosh players. However, that doesn't mean I can't take a pop at Rafa for doing the same. Apart form Torres, Agger and Alonso (who's waining a little) I really think Rafa has spent a hell of a lot on mediocrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭horseflesh

I don't think Henry would fancy a stint in The Championship. ;)

Apart form Torres, Agger and Alonso (who's waining a little) I really think Rafa has spent a hell of a lot on mediocrity.

Reina,Arbeloa,Mascherano,Benayoun,Lucas,Babel,Strtyl :rolleyes:

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Reina,Arbeloa,Mascherano,Benayoun,Lucas,Babel,Strtyl :rolleyes:

Only Reina and Mascherano from those really strike me as top 4 starting 11 quality. But that debate has been done to death.

true enough.

plus newcastle fans should have enough to worry about without adding rafas spending to the list! ;)

• Advertisement

Unfair to compare Premiership teams to Championship 1s though;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

It's a done deal, He is a Pompey fan after all and if anyone can get a few more seasons out of him, it'll be Arry:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It'd be great to see him with pool.

Lesson noted. The claws come out when tickety boo is said about the 'Pool.

The claws come out when tickety boo is said about the 'Pool.

Not the Pool. Just Rafa, i love him :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

An Citeog wrote: »
    Henry hasn't been bad this season for Barça but he definitely hasn't set the world alight. One of the main concerns though (apart from his age), is that he has a recurring back problem and Barcelona medical staff believe that this condition will continue to deteriorate over time.

I was at the Barça-Villarreal game on Sunday and Henry looked a shadow of his former self. He was hanging out on the left wing a la his Arsenal days but didn't seem to have that same explosive pace to get in behind the defence and cause problems. His main asset was always his blistering pace and with that lessened, it'd be a big gamble for any of the top Premiership teams to sign him.

I watched the game as well and have watched most of the Barca games this season... I think his problem at Barcelona is that he is on the left as part of a front 3, rather than a front 2.

He doesn't get the same opportunities to get into the box like he did at Arsenal. Also with the 3 in midfield he has to do a lot more 'midfield work', chasing back right-sided opposition players as well..

I think he is just having a moan to be honest. I don't think he'd leave and probably not back to the premier league. If he was going to switch leagues, I could see him going to Italy quicker...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

id love him to go to liverpool but i really doubt he would

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I couldn't see Thierry coming back to the premiership and certainly not to Liverpool, I can see him moving back to London when he does retire, by all accounts he really loves the city. I do believe that his decision to leave Arsenal was pretty much a joint one, his marriage obviously broke down around the time of the move and I think he just wanted a clean break. I would love to see him back at Arsenal, I don't buy the one about him holding back the younger players, that said Wenger would never bring back a player he has sold imo. In conclusion I feel Thierry will not return to the premiership.

Well whether you buy it or not, the younger players have come of age since he left... so he's now free to return to Arsenal. Would love to see him back. Can't see it happening though. He'd cost a fair bit of the £16m Barca paid for him and that's just not Wenger's style. At times this season you've felt Arsenal were missing something up front (ok Van Persie's barely played), Henry would probably slot back in well enough (if he was prepared to be a team player, rather than having the team built around him). His age would mean plenty of game time for Van Persie (when fit) and Adebayor. But you'd have to say the money could be better spent than on a player with 2-3 seasons left at the top level max.

I wouldn't say Wenger wouldn't buy back a player after he left though, he admitted in trying to buy back Petit but Chelsea already had the deal done by the time he was notified of his availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Well whether you buy it or not, the younger players have come of age since he left... .

Who is to say that the young players would not have developed anyway. As I have said before, Cesc was also brilliant last season, he was very unlucky not to score plenty of goals, we were blessed to have Thierry and as I said I would love to see Thierry back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

there is no way he would move to UNited or Chelsea. I cant ever see him coming back at all anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Giles actually had a good point 3 weeks ago during the Inter game. When Arsene Wenger sells a player you have to question why he sold him and most likely that player isnt up to that level anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

His touch, pace and accuracy have gone down so much from back in the day, he's not playing badly, just a shadow of his former greatness. Every now and then I watch youtube videos of Ronnie and himself back in their prime, brings a tear to my eye. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

heh Henry-Chenko :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

eZe^ wrote: »
    His touch, pace and accuracy have gone down so much from back in the day, he's not playing badly, just a shadow of his former greatness. Every now and then I watch youtube videos of Ronnie and himself back in their prime, brings a tear to my eye. :p

:D

Remember those days,when you didnt have to ask who scored for arsenal, it was always Henry.

It was only 3 weeks ago that he scored that stunner against Celtic, still life in the old dog yet...

Set up at Barcelona is all wrong for older men like Ronnie and Henry, they are given the ball and everyone expects them do something special, as if they are young men or something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Would the presently already unstable board give rafa another big wad of money to sign one player. Hasn't he had enough to spend already?

so thats liverpools lot, they shouldn't spend any more money from here on in until football finishes ;)

man utd and chelsea sign £20m subs like nani, hargreaves, carrick, wright-philips, shevchenko, mikel etc but somehow its rafa that has over spent, the same rafa who was outspent (net spend) by roy keane and david moyes this summer :rolleyes:

liverpool had to sell cisse, bellamy and garcia to raise the cash to sign torres. The sold gonzales for £6.5m and brought in Babel

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

I'd be surprised to see him at an EPL club thats not the big 4 but out of respect for the Arse I couldn't see him at Chelski or Utd. Don't think he would fit in to Liverpool so I reckon a move back to Juve is a possability or the Serie A in general. Maybe he'll go back to playing club football in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

rossie1977 wrote: »
    so thats liverpools lot, they shouldn't spend any more money from here on in until football finishes ;)

man utd and chelsea sign £20m subs like nani, hargreaves, carrick, wright-philips, shevchenko, mikel etc but somehow its rafa that has over spent, the same rafa who was outspent (net spend) by roy keane and david moyes this summer :rolleyes:

liverpool had to sell cisse, bellamy and garcia to raise the cash to sign torres. The sold gonzales for £6.5m and brought in Babel

Difference there is with the exception of Sheva they are all good buys. Torres is the only clever signing Liverpool have made under the Rafa reign.

Torres is the only clever signing Liverpool have made under the Rafa reign.

You really have made a fool of yourself with that statement.

Well done.

I usually get wound up by people saying such idiotic things-but for some reason i just find such a clueless statement amusing this morning :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Torres is the only clever signing Liverpool have made under the Rafa reign.

/points and laughs at statment.

Normally something like this gets a more scathing explanative reply, but this one, as Mr Alan pointed out, is just special and doesn't even deserve that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

rossie1977 wrote: »
    the same rafa who was outspent (net spend) by roy keane and david moyes this summer :rolleyes:

Is that true that Rafa has net spent less then Moyes this season ?

I can understand Roy Keane as he bought every average player going but I didn't think it was the same with Moyes v Rafa on that.

Have you stats on that ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement