Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

He who pays the piper calls the tune - Senator Norris

Options
  • 12-03-2008 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

"As public money has been spent on the film, we are entitled to know the truth wherever it leads."

Senator Norris was commenting on the Cathal O'Searcaigh documentary and calling for the airing of the film to be postponed until an investigation is carried out by the Oireachtas into it's production.
    "I have great sympathy with the position Senator Norris has taken in regard to this case but it is not appropriate that this House or a committee of the Oireachtas should determine what RTÉ broadcasts. That would be a step too far."
    Senator White is perfectly correct. It is unacceptable for the Oireachtas to be interfering with the programming of the national broadcaster.

I think Senator Norris was sufffering tunnel vision in his pursuit of defending Mr O'Searcaigh. It's disappointing that he would allow his judgement be clouded like this and lowers him a notch in my estimation.

Full story: http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/0312/1205104653973.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Instead of "an investigation is carried out by the Oireachtas into it's production" could we have a new law, say called "libel" where if the documentary made false claims someone could sue for this "libel"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

The argument is one of editorial standards at the national broadcaster. This is not a debate that should be conducted in the Oireachtas however and certainly not in respect of an individual production. Any attempt by the Oireachtas to control the media should be vehemently opposed.

Advertisement