Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant Mishaps

Options
  • 12-03-2008 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi,

Dunno if this is the right forum but anyways...

I was going to enter into architectual technology this year in DIT and was looking at getting a grant for it. I work full time so to do it without a grant would be impossible. Being 20 years old and completely self sufficient aint all its cracked up to be. My parents are currently residing in south africa and have done so for the past 6 years. I am an irish citizen as are my parents, grandparents etc etc. I have been told that in my particular case i dont qualify for a grand whatsoever.... in my opinion quite the kick in the stones!

Now... i was wondering if anyone has heard of a loophole or would know of any other avenues that may still be open to me? I dont mind telling a few porkie pies if it helps. Its just the thought of only being qualified by the time I'm 26 - 27 isn't an endearing one.

many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

Hi Billabongfitz; there were a few aspects of your post that confused me: Firstly, why, if you are working full-time, would it be impossible for you to do the course without a grant? Surely your salary would cover your living costs?

I am assuming it is your salary level that's pushing you above the income limit for a grant? Maybe, in terms of the practicalities of studying full-time alongside full-time work also, you could reduce your working hours, therefore freeing up time to dedicate to study while also lowering your income limit and therefore making yourself eligible for a grant? Tbh I don't see why the grant's that big a deal since it only amounts to a few grand per year; your fees will still be paid, wont they? And surely that's more important? (Or are you saying you'll be awarded neither a grant nor fees? :confused:)

If your parents are Irish citizens how does where they live affect your application? Have you gotten clarification on that?

And finally, whatever you do, I would definitely advise you not to tell any lies; that would catch up with you, cost you a criminal conviction for fraud and most likely your education/career would suffer also. You'd have to pay back every penny the authorities deemed you hadn't been entitled to, most likely alongside a hefty fine (or even a stint in prison, God forbid; defrauding a government dept is considered a serious offence) and as for your career, you'd deny yourself the option to take your skills to America, Canada or Australia, for example, should you ever want to; so that's not a wise move and I'd advise you to stay well clear of it.

Hi,

Dunno if this is the right forum but anyways...

Hello Billabongfitz!
    I was going to enter into architectual technology this year in DIT and was looking at getting a grant for it. I work full time so to do it without a grant would be impossible. Being 20 years old and completely self sufficient aint all its cracked up to be. My parents are currently residing in south africa and have done so for the past 6 years. I am an irish citizen as are my parents, grandparents etc etc. I have been told that in my particular case i dont qualify for a grand whatsoever.... in my opinion quite the kick in the stones!

Now... i was wondering if anyone has heard of a loophole or would know of any other avenues that may still be open to me? I dont mind telling a few porkie pies if it helps. Its just the thought of only being qualified by the time I'm 26 - 27 isn't an endearing one.

many thanks

Just to answer your query (the best way I can) - if you're under 20 years old, you cannot be assessed independently of your parents income. Officially. I've heard (as others have) heard of cases whereby people have annoyed (politely) their Council/VEC since, well, if your parents are on the other side of the world and you are supporting yourself it's a little silly that you are still assessed as being 'dependent' on them. So I can't give any official details in to this, it's best querying it with your local authority.

It's also worth considering how changes are planned for the grant system in Ireland including plans for under 23s to be assessed on their own income - although the devil is in the detail... which isn't available yet. This looks like it'll be put in for 2009/10 but it's not confirmed yet. Again, your Council/VEC will have the information on this before anyone else since they administer the scheme.

If I read your post correctly (and picked up what seahorse did) - you're looking for a grant for part-time education? At present, no such grant exists. The maintenance grant sadly only covers full-time courses. There is the ability to obtain tax relief as well as some other benefits out there worth looking in to. Have a look in my signature for more information on these.
    seahorse wrote: »
    If your parents are Irish citizens how does where they live affect your application? Have you gotten clarification on that?

If you are under 23, your application will depend on your parents/guardians. That's what I assume they were hinting at. Although it really is ridiculous if your parents are in South Africa and that you can't be assessed on your own income (if you can prove it). But that's another story.

So to cut a long story short it's worth consulting your local authority/VEC for confirmation on the above. If there's anything else, feel free to ask on here. Within the confines of the law though!

Best of luck,

Dónal

Advertisement