Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who builds Pillars to front of house

• 12-03-2008 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have been asked who would build pillers at the front of a house. I think it is the blocklayer? The pillars will be supporting a porch and are circular so I assume they would need a mould and be poured concrete.

Lastbuilders

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Jollyman

You can buy those monumental type pillars from most precast yards, the block layer would only build it square with blocks and then you plaster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I was expecting a "Who in their right mind builds pillars" type thread.

Anyway, trying to do them insitu is a bad idea, epecially if they are fluted or and complicated capitals. It would be difficult to get right
    (note: before a smart arse points out that the greeks and romans did them insitu, I am aware of this, but they carved them so its different :mad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sculptor

Do you mean pillars or pillasters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭lastbuilders

Pilasters.

Are you sure, as they wouldn't be supporting a porch.
    Tis confusing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Hi All,

I have been asked who would build pillers at the front of a house. I think it is the blocklayer? The pillars will be supporting a porch and are circular so I assume they would need a mould and be poured concrete.

Lastbuilders

check pm

They are two pillar type columns either side of the front door supporting a small roof above.

Lastbuilders

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Have you planning for them?? because they are a complete no-no these days.

Yea planning is ok. My brother is putting them in but is unsure if the brickie should do it and where to get them.

Lastbuilders

Are they stand alone, or half "into" the wall?
    I would imagine that the brickie would do it, they can probably be gotten for garden stone/statue places

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭bauderline

As far as my own knowledge goes you would not attempt to "make" these using a mould. You should be able to source these from a local concrete works.... not sure about the price though, the guy who built a house behind me sourced his from China... apparently found a supplier online.

Having said that its small part of why I am building a new house, I can't stand looking at those things much longer, they are hideous looking !

There is another house a few miles outside kells that has them the height of a full two stories, lookes like a mini "white house"... comical...

Honestly, tell him not to do it, he's a young man !

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

For poured concrete plain column formers you could try cardboard column formers

We have created fluted formers in the past.

Advertisement