Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duchas officials, trespassing?

• 12-03-2008 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

Anybody know if Duchas officials can just walk on to your land without your permission. Neighbour was removing a ditch recently ( for safety reasons, I might add) with a digger when 2 Duchas officials walked up to him, and just stopped short of verbally abusing him with regard to what he was doing.

Can they do this and if so how much information (if any ) are you obliged to give them?
    They also entered his construction area for a new slatted shed, without protective gear (there were signs up) and had a good snoop around.

Does the law allow this ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Elstemed

Turbury wrote: »
    They also entered his construction area for a new slatted shed, without protective gear (there were signs up) and had a good snoop around.

Definately not this part anyway. his notice boards should clearly state that a hard hat and a high vis vest must be worn at all times. Im sure the HSA would be interested in hearing about these two gob****es. Tell them to clear off they are breaking the law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭sme

seems an odd coincidence: duchas officals happen to turn up the day he is removing the ditch. i'd recommend either contacting a solicitor or your local citizens information centre, they should be able to tell you what powers government bodies have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

When did this take place? Dúchas was disbanded a few years ago, and what's being discussed here wouldn't really have fallen under their remit. Were these people from the Office of Public Works? Employees of the Commissioners of Public Works are allowed to enter any land under Section 4 Subsection 3 of the Arterial Drainage Act, 1945.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Turbury

europerson wrote: »
    When did this take place? Dúchas was disbanded a few years ago, quote]

Good point Europerson, I believe one of them identified himself as being from Duchas - must investigate this further.
    This only happened last week by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Turbury

europerson wrote: »
    When did this take place? Dúchas was disbanded a few years ago, and what's being discussed here wouldn't really have fallen under their remit. Were these people from the Office of Public Works? Employees of the Commissioners of Public Works are allowed to enter any land under Section 4 Subsection 3 of the Arterial Drainage Act, 1945.

Even though they can enter your land - I presume you dont have to speak to them if they start asking questions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Turbury wrote: »
    Anybody know if Duchas officials can just walk on to your land without your permission. Neighbour was removing a ditch recently ( for safety reasons, I might add) with a digger when 2 Duchas officials walked up to him, and just stopped short of verbally abusing him with regard to what he was doing.

Can they do this and if so how much information (if any ) are you obliged to give them?

They sound like National Parks & Wildlife Service rangers. If they were, then I believe they have full access rights, though it doesn't sound the most tactful of encounters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Again, under the Arterial Drainage Act, 1945, it's an offence to obstruct OPW officials to "wilfully obstruct the Commissioners or any of their officers, agents, or servants in the exercise of any of the powers or the performance of any of the duties conferred or imposed on the Commissioners to any of their officers". I'm not quite sure what constitutes an obstruction. Of course, if these people were from the National Parks and Wildlife Service, then this is nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

NPW and I think all of the old Duchas divisions would have originally been OPW. Presumably the powers transfer with the name changes.

Advertisement